“Roundhouse number 1! Kids, Jacuzzi and sharks!”

The Roundhouse Guesthouse
Ranked #7 of 29 Gansbaai B&B and Inns
Somerset West, South Africa
“Roundhouse number 1! Kids, Jacuzzi and sharks!”
Reviewed July 28, 2010

I stayed at The Roundhouse in Gansbaai (well actually de Kelders) for a few nights over December last year. I went with my sister, her husband and their 2 small kids. They stayed in the Pinnepedia suite and I in the Astacus Suite. The Pinnepedia suite has a full bedroom with on suite but it also had a leather sleeper couch and a single bed in the lounge for the kids. Even with one of the kids on the single bed and the little one in the cot that was provided (free I might add) the lounge still had plenty space to spare. There was even plastic cups and plates for the little ones. I don’t usually like traveling with my sister and her kids and that’s the reason for me writing this review. The Roundhouse was not a guesthouse that is geared towards kids yet if you really want to spend the night there (maybe to experience the uniqueness of a round house or the Jacuzzi) then your entire family will certainly be comfortable here. The kids loved walking down to be swimming beach which was only 5 minutes away. The owners pointed out some other kids stuff to do in the area and I must admit that this break away with the kids turned out a holiday for all of us, not just the kids. There's a place called Madre's Kitchen which Elna at The Roundhouse recommended us to for lunch. Thank you! It was amazing! The food was good and the jungle gym kept the kids entertained for hours. Have a look at my review for Madre's Kitchen in Stanford, under 15 minutes away from Gansbaai. The food at the Roundhouse was also good. On our last morning I paged through the visitors book at the guesthouse and it seems that the food is something that gets praised very often. Especially when Magda makes her famous Bobotie. We had an awesome time. I look forward to staying at The Roundhouse again. The friendliness and the good service will make me come back again and again. PS: The suites are also very cheap compared to other 4 star guesthouses in the area. Another PS: I also went shark diving and I will post a review on that soon.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hermanus
Reviewed July 21, 2010

I recently stayed at The Roundhouse in Gansbaai. I didn’t expect much as I am so used to the big guesthouses in Hermanus that offer stunning views over Walker Bay. But hey, it was my mate’s wedding so I had to go. To make a long story short, I ended up staying for 3 nights when it was only supposed to be one. My girlfriend fell totally in love with the place. And their dog, Stavros. I was fine as I also enjoyed the room and since I could watch tv from the bedroom or the lounge, I was happy. On our last day there some whales started coming into the Bay and I was “teased” by the locals that Hermanus is not the only place with whales. The food was also good. The 1st morning we had pancakes, the 2nd morning we missed (due to the hangover after the wedding) but the 3rd morning we had a nice old fry up! Everyone was friendly, the place was clean, the room had more amenities then I could count, and we had total privacy. Watching the whales from the top floor Jacuzzi on our last day was the highlight of the trip though. We will definitely be back. It’s just a stone throw from Hermanus where I live so to spoil myself I know where to go!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Cologne
Reviewed July 14, 2010

I can only agree to the other reviews. It is a very nice modern house and the service is lovely. Very friendly and helpful people. We went to South africa for the World Cup 2010 and decided to do some cagedic´ving with the Great White Sharks in Gansbaai. Appart from the fact that this is a really great opportunity to experience those amazing creatures live, we came there last minute and due to World Cup every trip was fully booked. But the people from The Roundhouse where so helpful and called around to get us somehow two places for the next day on a boat. Compared to Hermanus Gansbnaai is a sleeping beatuy with not so many but excellent restaurants (Ciros for example). So if you like walking along the waterfront and experience Grat White Sharks or Whale watching, it´s worth to stay in Gansbaai at The Roundhouse. Only negative thing to mention was, we went there in winter and it was pretty cold. Especially after our dive we were freezing. There was not really enough warm water to take a warming bath and some kind of heating would have been appreciated too.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed June 10, 2010

This is the best place ever! Were her with my fiance to dive with the Great white sharks and this is the best place to stay! Charming house, beautiful rooms and the owners Dave & Elna are awesome and the staff are so helpful and kind! The breakfasts are super tasty and the free internet is great! No to mention the ocean views - wow! And - they can help you book so you can see the sharks too and thats something you don't want to miss! Stay here you wont be disappointed! /Emma from Sweden

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Pretoria
Reviewed May 25, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Roundhouse for part of our honeymoon. The hospitality of Dave and Elna and of course the resident sausage dog Stavros was top notch. The facility is very unique and the rooms are world class. Breakfast on the deck, with a few of the whole of Gansbaai is something to remember.
Thank you once again for the great stay and all the activities your organised for us. You make the hard work seem effortless.
We will definitely visit again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed May 13, 2010

the staff were very friendly and professional.
we were accompanied to our room and everything in the room was explained to us, for example, the tv channels were explained, the forms that we had to fill it, breakfast etc.
the bar fridge.
we were also told that if we need anything we could phone ( were given a cell contact no)
the room was very nice and clean and i liked the idea how the tv was situated and the fact that you can watch tv it the living area as well as the bedroom by useing the swiwelling wall mounted bracket and a arched in the wall
well done to the owners and designers

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2010

Easily located in a small housing estate very close to the Great White Shark diving and whale watching capital of South Africa. This unique B&B offers spacious rooms, fabulous breakfasts, a hot tub on the roof (well nearly on the roof!) with great views of the ocean and very friendly staff. The rooms in the round part of the building cost a little more but offer a sitting room and kitchenette (full full honour bar), kingsize beds and large bathroom.
There is a laundry service available and dining recommendations. On the upper floor is a communual dining area that is used for breakfast and also gives you 24 hour free access to hot drinks and free broadband.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gansbaai
Misty Waves Boutique Hotel Hermanus
#4 of 29 in Gansbaai
Sea Star Lodge
Sea Star Lodge
#10 of 29 in Gansbaai

Been to The Roundhouse Guesthouse? Share your experiences!