“The best company and the best boat, very professional, caring about the environment and marine Biologists on board” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of White Shark Diving Company

White Shark Diving Company
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: White Shark Diving Co specializes in exclusive GREAT WHITE SHARK adventure tours in Gansbaai, Western Cape, South Africa. Rated #1 by industry peers, we strive to deliver excellence by being the only Shark Cage Diving Company to offer exclusive & private tours with limited seating capacity for extra comfort, safety and dive time! We are the exclusive carrier of all International Celebrities, VIPs and Sporting Teams. White Shark Diving Company have been advocates for the protection of the Great White Shark species; by pioneering sustainable methods of practice, founding and funding scientific research initiatives and being a key player in the development and implementation of The Great White Shark Protection Foundation of South Africa.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Guildford, Surrey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2010

We had a fantastic experience with Marine Dynamics. A presentation is given prior to boarding the boat by a Marine Biologist who explains about the projects they are running to help protect the environment and look after the sharks.

We took our 8 month old baby and 5 year old son along, They were fine, the baby slept through most of the trip and our older child had a fantastic experience and was able to actually see (from the boat) the beautiful animals that we have spent many hours watching on the discovery/NatGeo channels. Prior to booking the trip we went to speak at length with the Captain Henny about whether this would be suitalbe for the children, Henney checked the weather reports and explained what would happen on the trip and that if we didnt like it or didnt feel comfortable they would send another boat out to collect us (at a cost of R400, approx £36).

We choose a good day weather wise to make our trip, not much wind and pretty much a flat calm. Nobody was sea sick at all. We had visibility of about 5 meters-perfect for seeing plenty of Great whites and also the seals along shark alley.

Safety was also of paramount importance, you are told exactly what to expect and life jackets fitted by the team prior to getting on the boat. The boat is only about a month old and very nice. We were given a light lunch and then also some soup and sandwiches when arriving back whilst they play a dvd of our trip (which you can buy if you like).

All Staff were extremely professional, Henney, Alison and Nick were absolutely fantastic and extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

1 Thank jilly3778

• Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fantastic service and the best in the business!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2010

We booked a week’s package for shark diving with sharkbookings.com and it was amazing. From the first contact to the farewell in Gansbaai everything went smoothly and without any stress. Dave was great with the booking and seemed to know everything about the sharks, sea conditions and weather. Initially we were only going to stay just 3 days but he suggested a longer stay to make provisions for the winter weather. On the first day we realized how right he was as a cold front hit the coast. We woke up down in the dumps disappointed that the boat was not going out but as a true professional Dave had a plan B and C for such days. We stayed at the Roundhouse (totally recommended!) and Magda the manager made us an awesome breakfast. Dave then came to see us and arranged for us to visit Cape Agulhas (Most southern tip of Africa) for the day. The tour bus arrived just after breakfast and we had a fantastic day out. The following day was the same story with the weather but all was taken care of and we did a day trip of Cape Town seeing the Penguins and even went up Table Mountain. At the end of the day Dave informed us that diving was on for the next day! It was amazing to think that we were actually upset at not being able to go out but actually had memorable days when the weather was bad. The shark diving was unforgettable and again Dave booked us with a company that took care of our every needs (basically showing us loads of sharks and lots of cage time!). That week was the best of my life and I think everyone’s in the group! We didn’t choose to stay in Cape Town and we feel that we did not miss a thing! Cape Town was stunning but to us only great for a day trip as it was fantastic to see the real South Africa and not spend our time in a big tourist trap. It was only ½ way through the week that we found out that Dave is actually the owner of the Roundhouse. He and Elna his wife have done really well for themselves and are totally clued up on the tourism scene. They own the Roundhouse, the information booking office in Gansbaai, Shark Alley souvenir shop and also specialize in Mozambique dive holidays. See you next year Dave for some more shark action!!! This time it will be a bigger group to Mozambique to snorkel with the Whale Sharks! Bring it on!!!!!

2 Thank Peterclark1931
Somerset West, South Africa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sharkbookings placed us on the best boat for our needs...THANKS!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2010

I have to say that I found it extremely easy to book through Sharkbookings. The size of the cage was important for me as well as wetsuit sizes as one of my sister's kids were joining the trip. If you go onto individual sites then it is difficult to compare the facts (and take out the fiction) but on sharkbookings it was laid out clearly what each boat had to offer, cage sizes, wetsuit requirements and more. I first made a phone call to Sharkbookings (Dave) whom told me off heart which boats had wetsuits that would fit the child in our group etc. I mean just that would have taken me ages if I had to sift though the operators myself. He then went on to recommend the roundhouse (which we eventually booked so thanks for that) which was just as clued up on the shark diving. Turns out Dave are one of the owners of the guesthouse. Good thing though because they were in touch with our shark booking the whole time. They even moved it for us a couple of times (due to the weather) to make sure that we go out with the little one on a nice flat day. All I can say is thank you Dave. I saw some of the other boats in the harbor and guys trust me when I say you can do with some of this guy’s advice before booking your shark trip. It didn’t cost me anything extra so once again thanks. It’s an experience that I will never forget!

1 Thank JuanitaLSW
Conneticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Things to Keep in Mind When Choosing Your Diving Company”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2010

I recently visited South Africa and Cape Town, and being the "shark week" lover that I am, just had to go diving in Gansbaai. I had never been to cape town and really didn't know what to expect. So I chose two different companies for diving two days. I visited the middle of December so wanted to increase my odds of seeing them! After my two days I just wanted to leave you some basics to keep in mind so your trip is perfect.

- First off your probably going to see sharks no matter who you choose to dive with. All the boats anchor within 100yards of one another and therefore if another boat sees them so will you.

- Second, know where the company you choose is docked at. Unrealdive for example is on the other side of the penisula and therefore the boat ride is twice as long to reach the diving spot. Most of the other companies are on the same side of the penisula as dyer island and your ride will only be about 20min max.

- Third, since their all going to put you in the same spot at the same time, the only thing to decide is price and boat size. The bigger the boat, the more people you have to share it with. The cheaper looking the boat, the cheaper the gear they carry.

Example:
The first day I went with Unrealdive. They are a very good company and know what their doing. Their price is the lowest. However the tradeoff is a longer boat ride, a big ghetto boat, and old, probably still wet from yesterday wetsuits. But hey if your going for cheap these are your guys.

The second day I went with Marine Dynamics. Great company, a little more pricey. However these guys are perfect. Boat is nice, not too many people, and the wetsuites were dry and brand new. Plus they had variety of sizes which is important when your diving in cold water!

So that's about it. You will see sharks if you go before Jan and it doesn't matter who you choose. The only thing that decides who to go with is how much you want to pay and how classy you want your day to be. But definately go. It's a amazing expierence!

20 Thank lifeoftravel2001
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Brilliant day out but pay attention who you book through”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2009

We booked this trip through sharkbookings.com but in actual fact it would seem that no matter who you book through, once you get to gansbaai all the various companies offload customers at a central venue and they are shipped out from there. When arriving at shark bookings it was very chaotic, they seemed unprepared for our arrival and almost lost part of the group on the way to the harbour. But once we were all together at the whale viewing/shark diving centre we never saw the staff from sharkbookings again and staff here ensured things were run very professionally and we were reassured. Customers should be aware that they will be on the boat for approximately 4 hours. I would seriously recommend taking sea-sickness tablets before heading out as it is very likely you will feel ill if you dont and not enjoy the trip. These details aside it was a BRILLIANT experience. Our guide was a knowledgeable marine biologist who could answer the variety of questions we posed. There were wetsuits to fit up to 4xl divers. Lunch was included before we left and snacks were also availble on board. 5 people at a time go into the cage once a shark has been spotted ~(although it may be a long wait before this happens) and are left in for 20-30 minutes with an option to go back in later if you would like. We felt safe at all times but were still close enough to the sharks to get the adrenaline flowing. We saw a few different sharks and had loads of photo opportunites in the water and back on board. I would definitely recommend this trip!

4 Thank RozandJim