“At Home far away from Home”

Umnenge Lodge & Charters
Ranked #19 of 29 Gansbaai B&B and Inns
Frankfurt, Germany
“At Home far away from Home”
Reviewed November 27, 2009

We have been to SA for 3 times now and stayed at several B&B´s but Umnenge Lodge beats them all. Mary and Rich are wonderful hosts and we stayed there for 6 nights. At first we have booked 4 nights and came back for another 2 nights after staying at Franschhoek missing Unmenge Lodge. The beautiful modern african style lodge is nested along the beautiful coastline of De Kelders. Mary and Rich gave us the feeling of being at home with their personal support and assistance. We loved the landscape, the whales, the sharks, the tast braai and the homemade bread and muffins. Jessie the lovely guide dog attend us on our walks along the stunning rocks watching the whales paying and jumping. In the evenings we enjoyed sitting in the cosy bar downstairs having a glas of Birkenhead beer or a nice Walker Bay Sauvignon Blanc chatting and laughing with Mary and Rich. All in all we must say: A hidden gem highly recommended! Thanks guys, we will come back as soon as possible ;-)

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patte1977

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
UK
Reviewed November 12, 2009

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights at Umnenge lodge and out of 4 places in South Africa we stayed this was definitely the best.
Mary and Richard are wonderful hosts. They organised trips for us and recommended a great local restaurant on the first night. On the second night we had a braai with them, which was a real highlight, it was like a night with friends - relaxed and fun, with amazing food to top it off!
The rooms are to a very high standard, with an amazing shower, and the view of the bay and the whales is one I will never forget.
Next time we would stay for longer, as 2 nights is not enough to appreciate all the area has to offer. We did a fishing charter with Richard which was amazing and would definately recommend.
The bar downstairs was a great place to sit in the evening and enjoy a few drinks, they serve local beer from the Birkenhead Brewery which was a highlight of my husbands trip! Next time we would like to visit the Brewery for a tour.
Thank-you so much Mary and Richard we had a great time and will be back!!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank UkKirbyp
Joure
Reviewed November 9, 2009

We stayed at the Umnenge Lodge in Okt 2009. Arrived for the first time in SA one day earlier Umnenge set the standard for the rest of the holyday........ a tough competition fot the following B&B's.
The rooms are: EXELLENT!! , very well decorated in an African atmosphere, and complete (enormous bathroom, tv) and most of all, a room with a gorgeous view! From our bed we could see the whales in the ocean........ need i say more?
If you have the change, book a dinner with the host. unless you dont want to gain a bit of weight. They prepared the best dinner for us, including braai (fish, lamb etc) and we had a lively discussion during dinner among all of us.

Try the place!

Gertjan and Esther

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed November 2, 2009

My partner Andy and I stayed Umnenge Lodge in September 2009 and can thoroughly recommend it to all!
Hosts Mary and Richard were so very welcoming and such great fun that our stay was more like visiting friends. Their little son Quinn added to the entertainment and the relaxed atmosphere while Jessie, the lovely (and extremely placid) Alsation acted as unofficial guide when Andy & I went for walks along the spectacular coastal paths.
Superb food (Richard even braved an unusally wet night to BBQ for us!), fantastic whale watching opportunities (our room also had terrific sea views) beautiful decor and furnishings with a real African feel...what more could you ask for?
PS Our whole African experience was so good Andy even proposed to me!! A good excuse to return to Umnenge for the honeymoon!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Cape Town
Reviewed November 2, 2009

There aren't many guesthouses that welcome you with open arms when you have got 4 children aged 7 and under!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Denmark
Reviewed October 23, 2009

Before I even begin sharing my experience in this place, I have to add one important thing. Usually I keep these little gems around the world to myself - afraid only to return one day to discover crowds of people, in what used to be a Paradise for the few. This time, I will take the chance...

The property is located in a prime elevated spot - in my oppinion the best in the area - right at the far east end bordering Walker Bay Nature Reserve. Which give a sense of having the whole area to yourself. Quiet and peaceful, not a sound heard - except for the whales:-) - at night.

Bordering the Nature Reserve you also have the added bonus of long walks - starting at your doorstep - through the most beautifull, serene landscape I have ever seen, including the marvelous protected Fynbos and a coastline visited by lots and lots of Whales. The Whales can also be observed from your own balcony or on the terrase while sipping a drink. An option I personally loved!

I was blessed to stay here for a total of 6 day. I had requested breakfast, lunch and dinner every day of my stay, which was no problem at all. Mary, being a great chef and putting attention and heart into her cooking, cooked one delicious meal after another. The crayfish dinner on my first night and the lamb liver delicacy especially come to my mind! I also had the pleasure of trying a Brai one evening - devine! There is also a well stocked bar on the premesis, which includes beer from the local Birkenhead brewery. Surprisingly good!

The owners Mary and Richard have really put their hearts into this place. Words can not describe the charm and character of Umnenge Lodge. Wonderfull rooms, best beds I have slept in abroad. I had the King Shaka Suite with its own huge balcony overlooking the bay. Highly recommended! Such attention to detail from the decorative art, to the huge stone bathtub with its own little tap waterfall. On top of that, Mary and Richard as the wonderfull host they are, will cater to your every need and make you feel right at home!

I could just go on and on about this "out of this world" place forever!

To summon it all up:

If you are into small hidden gems - do go see Mary, Richard, their 2 adorable boys Robin and Quinnie and last but not least, Jessie the dog. If sterile Hotels/Guesthouses with unpersonalized service is your thing - please stay away!!!!

Drude

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank JUSTMEDenmark
Johannesbrug
Reviewed September 22, 2009

Mandy and I are from Johannesburg and fell in love with the Western Cape since 2007. I can currently guarantee our dream is to move there soon. It lifts our spirits and self-worth during holiday periods and shares warmth not visible in other provinces. She urged me this year to settle for more than two days in one spot and I subdued. We decided to tackle Umnenge Lodge in De Kelders for four days, but we were tackled instead! And we loved it! Mary, Richard, kiddies, staff and our guide on walks, Jessie the German Shepherd embraced us into this unique lodge, and shared not only great service, but a true experience of family worth. We had the time of our lives! Thank you for all the amazing dinners, breakfasts, bookings, music, unique beer, company, knowledge etc. We will never forget this! We will see you someday soon. We wish you all the best of luck! Please keep our contact details for any assistance in Johannesburg. We also LOVED the personal flight, cage diving and whale trip arranged by Richard and Mary!! What a trip!

Regards, Arthur