“Wonderful luxury with some wilderness thrown in” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve & Wellness Retreat

Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve & Wellness Retreat
“Wonderful luxury with some wilderness thrown in”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

This place is really a luxury. They feed you 6 times a day. So even though they don't include lunch in your day of arrival or departure you will not go hungry. We got a free upgrade to the bridal suite. It was so beautiful. We got to see lots of native animals and cave drawings, the prime reason we went here. The attention we got was much more than I ever expected. Maybe we will return if we are ever in the area again.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

My friends and I were fortunate to experience the hospitality at Bushamans Kloof.

Not only was the outings to the Rock Art an enlightening experience; the Accommodation, Cuisine, Service and Spa experience certainly earns its 5 star rating.

Highly recommended if, you are travelling thru the Cederberg Mountains.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Durbanville, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2014

Absolutely superb. From the time of our group's arrival (and we arrived very late due to flight delays fro Canada and Jhb) everything was ready and waiting on us. Rooms out of this world, equipped with everthing you can think about. The silence is only broken by the chirping sounds of all kinds of birds. The surrounding mountains and baboons on the grass and in the mountains were just great. And the food......Say no more-everything to your liking and just the way you want it.
The field guide taking us to the bushman paintings on the rocks as well as the game drives, fantastic. His knowledge of his work is absolutely great and he keeps you spellbound. Magic.
We will be back with more groups in future. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Any room will do!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Forfar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2014

It is a bit of a slog to get there from Cape Town, especially with the roadworks, but absolutely worth it! Being so warmly greeted by James, Zenobia and I think Charlie, was almost a bit overwhelming, but happily so.

We stayed at Waters Edge II and it has the loveliest view, which unfortunately I had to take advantage of the first afternoon, as all the driving and especially the last really windy bit from Clanwilliam took its toll on me, so I didn't dare go on a bumpy off-road game drive; what a shame. But it was quite tranquil sitting on the porch watching the sunset. The dinner was fantastic, again I couldn't take advantage as I was still feeling a bit fragile, but my husband did, and said everything was brilliant. I had a bit of the chicken soup an it was really nice.

The next morning it was blowing an absolute gale with torrential rain (thought we were back in Scotland!) but we rang Zenobia and she postponed the drive until it lightened up and in the end we had a private tour, as the others decided to stay in. The cave art is fantastic and the thing I was looking forward the most in seeing. Zenobia was really knowledgeable, not with just the art but the flora/fauna along the way. One thing to take into account, though, is that, although the walks aren't look to get to the Art (15 min or so), you are going to places that still exist mainly because they are not very accessible, so there is some clambering involved to most of the sites. I wished I had brought my walking sticks actually. It is so worth it when you get to see such amazing paintings. Also the thoughtfulness of Zenobia was amazing. On one of the afternoon drives, since again the others had stayed at the hotel, we were the only ones and she knew I was really keen on the cave art, so she took us to an additional site, as well as doing the 'normal' afternoon drive.

Get ready to be fed - a lot! What they call a light lunch is full portions of fish and chips or steak and chips, amongst other dishes. The breakfasts were good; a nice selection of cereals, fruits, meats, cheeses, as well as a full cooked breakfast menu. On the last morning, after the drive it was pretty hot and so I asked for my version of an iced coffee. The ones in So. Africa tend to be more like milk shakes and very sweet, so the day before I described how I wanted mine done to the man behind the bar (so sorry I can't recall his name because he was wonderful!) and even though in the morning it was a completely different waitress, she came back with it perfectly done for me (essentially a regular cappuccino but with loads of ice) . Now that is attention to detail! Seems churlish for me to complain about too much food, but I hate waste and the dinners were really too big for me. Starts with amuse bouche, then the starter (which were big enough to be a main), then a palate cleaner, then the mains, which were huge. So I'm afraid we didn't take advantage of the fully 4 course affair, after my husband's go on the first night. But again, very accommodating when I ordered the chicken curry dish and when it came out I didn't like it. One other dish on the menu was rack of lamb, so I asked for that, but no the whole rack, just a couple chops, and then absolutely didn't mind one bit and gave me exactly what I asked for.

And then the best - we got upgraded to a private meal out at their bothy (they don't call it that, but essentially a re-done old stone hut). Deon, our chef, came to us at the end of dinner the night before and asked exactly what we'd like and cooking methods, etc. We asked for a braai with some springbock, Cape Malay style chicken curry, salad to start and some boarwurst. And the best bit is that Zenobia came as well, so we could have a chance to really get to know her. And for those of you into Celebrity Chefs, Deon looks exactly like Curtis Stone - really! We told him he could get a job in LA as a Curtis Stone look-alike. It was a totally fantanbulous night and having both Deon and Zenobia sitting down to eat with us, it was like having our own private 'do' with friends. The food was all perfect. If BK was the highlight of our holiday, that meal was the ultimate highlight of staying at BK. Thanks to James for arranging it for us; it's a night we'll never forget.

Also, there are other activities apart from the drives, my husband got to go fly-fishing one morning, while I did a few laps in the heated pool. We didn't fit in the walks they have either, which was a shame. Wish I could say, 'well, next time', but this was a real splurge for us, so we'll need to save the pennies for awhile. It goes without saying that if we could, we go back in a heartbeat and probably stay more than 3 nights; I would say that that should be the minimum if you want to take advantage of all they offer.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

We stayed at the Koro lodge at Bushmans Kloof and from the moment we arrived we felt as if we were in Paradise. I have to start with the excellent care we received from:

Ranger/Manager: Zenobia
Chef: Matthew
Housekeeper: Wilhelmina

They are real treasures and know exactly what needs to be done to make you feel special and pamper you from the moment you arrive.

We have been out on the most fantastic drives and Zenobia knows the place (and everything in and around it) and loves to share her knowledge and, even-though your are in the middle of a wilderness it is amazing how much there is to be seen.

Matthew was simply a delight and what a chef! Simply fantastic. It started with a full breakfast and then it simply keeps coming and the grand finale at the end of the day is the dinner. I truly believe it is their intention to roll you out of the place!

Wilhelmina, thank you for your lovely care!

The lodge we prefer not to say too much about, as we prefer this to remain a secret .... We have been in some amazing places, and must say not much comes close to this! It is decorated beautifully/luxurious and attention to detail is amazing. The location is completely private (main hotel is 5 KM away, mind you within their own land!) and you can sit for hours gazing at the views in front of you.

The main hotel is also very nice (like an oasis), and the staff has done an amazing thing in arranging a surprise dinner for my wife in their orchard, it was incredibly romantic and beautifully done!.

I will stop here, but we will, most certainly come back as South Africa has stolen our hearts and BK is an important reason for it!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

Driving through the harsh beauty of the Pakhuis pass, at the end of a sandy road among rocks and fynbos, you will suddenly enter a magical place of natural and man-made beauty, with birds and trees and houses and gardens, that is like a Brigadoon which had sprung to life out of the Cederberg rocks and dust.
This is not only a place of beauty and luxury but more like a permanent feast where the delicacy of the food blends with the utter kindness and dedication of the entire staff, where the awe inspiring rock art excursions are followed by moments of bliss at the spa, where the purest night skies allows your guide to show you the Magellan clouds on a stargazing excursion, where two hours of hiking can take you to the heart of the Cederberg nature and back to this marvelous place, where your room is like a beautiful house and makes you wish that it was your home…
There is so much to say about BK and yet so little that can be expressed about the extraordinary emotions that you can experience there. Days will pass too fast and the moment of departure will arrive too soon. A temptation to stay at Brigadoon forever will not be granted; you will drive the sandy road, pass the corner, and BK will vanish into thin air, leaving you with a deep feeling of gratitude and a longing to come back.
The cherished memories that you will take home with you will not cease to bring you back to BK. You will surprise yourself thinking about this sundowner drive where your exceptional guide Simone showed you a brave Springbok mother defending her newborn against two black-backed Jackals or about that Rooiboss tea near the fire at the Homestead after a delicious dinner.
You will be here and there at the same time. Isn’t this magic ?

Room Tip: Go for a Deluxe Room over a Luxury one, the price difference more than worth it.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

The Bushmans Kloof is a serious drive from Cape Town, at least 4 hrs taking into account the extensive roadworks, however it is well worth it..!

From the warm welcome reception and allocation of a safari guide who looks after your every (almost) whim to the superb selection of meals on offer, including high tea every afternoon... it is a very special place out in the remote wilderness.

We loved BK and would highly recommend..!

Note to restaurant management, please keep a close eye on some of your (female) waiting staff, service was indifferent and sloppy. For this reason we have given BK 4 stars and not 5.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clanwilliam
Clanwilliam Hotel
#11 of 21 in Citrusdal
Ukholo Lodge
Ukholo Lodge
#7 of 21 in Citrusdal

Been to Bushmans Kloof Wilderness Reserve & Wellness Retreat? Share your experiences!