“Very Poor”

Ranked #2 of 10 Clanwilliam B&B and Inns
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Very Poor”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

A big disappointment I’m afraid. In order to get a room with two beds we had to have a room in the house rather than in the separate, newer accommodation which is adjacent. The room we carefully chose and booked several months before had a problem and so we were moved to the ‘Cream Room’, which is their room for families with a double and single bed. Our reception lacked any feeling of welcome or interest. The room was not cleaned prior to our arrival and we had to ask for the dirty carpet to be vacuumed. The sofa had big holes in it and did not invite use. The double bed was supported on building blocks wrapped in newspaper. Our visit coincided with temperatures over 40 degrees which of itself caused us no problem - we have lived in and visited South Africa over many years. Our problem with Yellow Aloe as that the air con unit in the room either could not cope or was faulty in some way. Despite setting it to cool the room to a comfortable sleeping temperature it never got below 30 degrees, making sleep impossible. We mentioned this each day but without a solution or alternative being offered. In fact we had to insist strongly that the air con be left on throughout the day in order to get the temperature as low as was possible. After three nights of this we had no alternative but to leave a day before the end of our booking. When we got up on the final morning, our experience was complete when there was no breakfast as ‘‘the staff haven’t shown up’’. We waited while they were brought in and then breakfast was produced. On that morning ‘Cheryl’ arrived and took over from ‘Rene’ and it’s probably true that things might have been better if she had been there from the beginning as I feel she would have been more pro-active. She offered another room in the house but by then it was too late and our patience was exhausted. Yellow Aloe is in a good location in a pretty garden with pool. With a lot more management and attention to detail it could be so much better than it is.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TonyNorwich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

The Yellow Aloe was like an oasis after a whole day on the road! The property is beautifully maintained. The room was HUGE with a large comfortable bed. The ensuite had a shower not and was a little small, but reasonable. Let's face it ClanWilliam isn't a large place and accomodation choices are limited, having said that, I would rather stay here or St Du Barrys than any of the other options in this small town. The breakfast was good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Baden, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

If you want to or have to go to Clanwilliam, then this is a nice place at the end of the main road.
The room was spacious, with aircon and fridge. The bathroom was separate and very big. We got a paravon to get protected access from our room to the bathroom.
The guest house is a beautiful old building with lots of decor, very nice. In the garden there are lots of palms, flowers, birds and a nice pool. There is a veranda with garden view.
After ordering some food in the afternoon most of the staff disappeared. Advance information about service hours would be helpful.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Cape Town, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Yellow Aloe is a beautiful old Victorian house at the end of the main street in Clanwilliam. Part B&B, part restaurant and part curiosity shop, there's certainly lots to see and much attention has been paid to the decor (most items are available for purchase).

I arrived late on a Sunday afternoon when the town had had no electricity since 7am. The staff member who greeted me said the power should be back on by 7pm. It ended up coming on at 8pm. There were no restaurants open in Clanwilliam due to the outage and I just managed to grab some food from the local (very nice) Super Spar before it closed.

My main complaint with Yellow Aloe was the complete lack of service. After I arrived and was shown to my room (which was very spacious and nicely appointed), I was left to my own devices. It would have been nice if the staff had checked that I'd been able to get some dinner. I battled to locate anyone to help me configure the satellite TV (it needed rebooting after the outage) and had to wait until the morning to find someone who could give me the WiFi password (why do guesthouses not volunteer that at check-in?!).

As the only person staying there that night, it was a bit unnerving to be in a huge house on my own - with the front door wide open. Sure, things are different in small towns, but this city girl was a bit freaked out.

Breakfast the following morning was nice. The restaurant has huge enlarged photographs of the quiver trees near Niewoudtville on the walls which definitely makes you want to visit there (fortunately that's where I was headed to next). The staff were nice but gave the impression that they had other things to do and were scarce. Weirdly, a woman who may have been the owner (she didn't introduce herself properly) approached me at breakfast and asked quite agressively 'Where did you get those bank statements from?' I had no idea what she was talking about! Apparently she'd found them on a table outside... considering it had been pitch dark the previous night, absolutely anything could have been on the tables and I wouldn't have seen a thing. And why would I go through her bank statements anyway? Very odd.

When I was ready to leave, again there were no staff to be found and I had to battle with my luggage down steep, narrow stairs on my own. It also took about 5 minutes for me to locate someone to pay. Had there been lots of guests staying or eating at the restaurant, that may have explained it, but as the only guest, I felt quite ignored.

Overall, the accommodation is nice, but unfortunately my experience with the staff means I wouldn't go back, nor would I recommend this B&B.

Room Tip: Avoid the upstairs rooms if you struggle with stairs. My room in the roof was also very hot and stuf...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank WhyITravel
Johannesburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had a mix up with the room allocated to us on arrival, but after some shuffling of guests we were given a Garden room next door to the main house. Building operations did interfere with access and the room was not quite finished, but will be very comfortable when completed. A large room tastefully furnished with a good quality bed. The garden is well worth a walk around. Both pools were sparkling clean. Breakfast service was a little slow and minimal quantities. Difficult to rate as some areas are good with others being excellent. Staff were nice and helpful, but attention needs to be paid to details.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed overnight at Yellow Aloe while visiting the flowers. It's a very convenient location for the 'Flower Church' and the Ramskop Flower reserve is just up the road. There was building going on , but our stay was comfortable and the hosts were very friendly and helpful about where to go in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jenni44
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

We spent the weekend in Clanwilliam for the flower festival with two other couples The B&B was being renovated but this did not impact on our stay. The room was a small double room with a queen bed, good linen and heating/aircon. Small touches such as a hook behind the door for the towels to hang and a bedside shelf would have been helpful. We shared a bathroom with the bedroom next door which was the same size and was occupied by one of the other couples in our party. The bathroom was attractive (although the bath sealant needs attention) and it was spotless. Our other friends had a much larger double room with a generous sized ensuite bathroom.

The large sitting room only has one double seater sofa - we used the garden chairs to watch the rugby game on the large screen TV that evening. Wine glasses and tea and coffee & milk were provided with a fridge, which was handy.

The full English breakfast with options was freshly cooked and the coffee was very good. Service was slow but when we pointed this out they took great pains to ensure were were happy and looked after.

There was a mix up regarding dinner on the night of our arrival. This had been confirmed earlier in the week as we were expecting to eat at the B&B - they get a chef from Cape Town to provide meals during peak seasons. We ended up at Andee's pub and restaurant at the hotel which was average. The B&B did make a reservation at Reinhold's for us for the Saturday night and we were glad the did as the restaurant was fully booked.

Room Tip: Check which room you will be occupying when booking. The ensuite rooms are larger - the ones that s...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends