“The Country Pumpkin The One and Only Restaurant in Barrydale and Route 62”

The Country Pumpkin Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 16 Restaurants in Barrydale
Cuisines: African
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 4, 2013

As Frequent Travellers in South Africa had my Wife and I not slowed down in our Vehicle many years ago for the ever present Speed Trap and Traffic Police Officer, who has become as much of an Institution as The Country Pumpkin on entering Barrydale, from Montague on Route 62, to slow down for and in the "case" of the Country Pumpkin to STOP for, we would never have discovered this "Gem" of a Restaurant where all Visitors and Guests are welcomed and treated like Friends and Family and become Friends. Sometimes mistaken by the uninformed as just another of the Plethora of Farm Stalls which "dot" Route 62 and The Garden Route the Pumpkin has set it self apart as a Restaurant, with possibly the finest Food, and Friendly Service, on the most scenic Route 62, which just would not be the same had it not been there!
Between Dereck de Villiers, his wife Lesley and their Friendly and efficient Staff the weary and at times parched in Summer visitors on arrival are treated to Beverages of their Choice, fresh home cooked meals and desserts to "die" for and be enjoyed under the vines or umbrellas on their deck or additional tables inside which in Winter as recently experienced during extremely cold weather with snow on the local mountains two roaring Log Fires.
On this our most recent visit, we tried their Hugely and Popular delicious Sunday Roasts Platters which Dereck, informed us due to it's popularity, is now being extended into weekdays as well, the succulent Leg Of Pork, Lamb and Chicken, accompanied by fresh vegetables and dessert's and once again "battled" to finish the most generous of servings (Alison my wife could not which I was pleased for as I had it Cold the following Day :-). I could elucidate and write an Epistle ....(Yes ...The Pumpkin is that good) suffice to state that You would be doing Yourself and Your Wallet a Huge Disservice if You don't try their meals Yourselves!
I therefore have no hesitation in recommending the Country Pumpkin, with it's awesome Setting, Consistently High Quality Menu, Friendly Efficient and Welcoming Staff (who have developed the uncanny ability of memorising frequent guests names), Wheelchair Friendly Restaurant and spotless ablutions, to both Locals and Tourists and cant wait to return. To Dereck, Lesley and Your Friendly Staff Thank you for once again making our 4 Hour Drive for Lunch so memorable and we cant wait for our next Visit ......

2  Thank Braam V

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Not a lot of competition in Barrydale. Tis place does a lovely breakfast and has nice service and outside seating.

1  Thank Ian R
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Had the most fantastic sunday lunch on our way back home from a trip to the Cape.I highly recommend this restaurant as it is a jewel that we just happened to find.The most delicious meals and we will now be frequent "eaters" when we do the trip again.Thank you so much for you hospitality .WE WILL BE BACK The Carters.

1  Thank 470MEERKATS
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Always a treat to visit "The country pumpkin" when visiting family in Barrydale. Food is fantastic and service excellent, always!

1  Thank 86BeeC
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Since my parents retired in Barrydale, I've been fortunate to frequently visit the Country Pumkin. The all-time favourite is of course the big Sunday Lunch, but breakfast is just as great a treat.
Service is always with a smile and the food delicious. I always stock up on dried peaches (the best ever) which is great added in a home cooked Cape Malay curry.... and do try their take-away chicken and mushroom pies. Mmmmmm...yummy.

1  Thank Mari B