“Amazing place - Great hosts - Go there!”

Tradouw Guest House
Ranked #1 of 6 Barrydale B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 13, 2011

If you are planning to do the R62, you MUST go to the Tradouw Guesthouse in Barrydale. The rooms are all nicely decorated, with a personal touch. In the beautiful garden you can relax and read in the sun, or you can also sit in the courtyard, under the vines, enjoying a drink in the shade. They have their own bar (again unique, hand picked decoration), where we chatted until late with Leon and some other guests. What makes this place really unique, are the nice hosts, Leon and Denis. They were so welcoming, made us feel at ease and gave us a lot of information about Barrydale and the region.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 4, 2011

We enjoyed our short stay, but could not believe that in 2011 there are still places that do not accept credit cards.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the street. They are nice and very quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ernest913
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Tradouw Guesthouse is such a delight -- nice rooms set in a beautiful garden; a friendly bar with Leon providing commentary and discussion; a desert field filled with ideas; and the fabulous food from Dennis (and I'm a vegetarian). This is such a nice place to stay that I didn't want to leave and I will go out of my way to return. I highly recommend this stop and stay in Barrydale if you are in the Cape area.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2011

We travelled from Knysna in the direction of Franschhoek and needed a stop over along the Road. So by accident we ended up at Leon and Dennis at Barrydale. Such a pitty we couldn't stay longer ........ Both the hosts are so friendly and loving. after checking in we had a drink with them and friends of them in the bar and we heard a lot of fun stories.
The room was in older style but very cosy and facing a beautiful garden and had everything we needed. Leon recommended a meditarian restaurant only two blocks away where we had a perfect meal for very little money. After a good night sleep a wonderfull breakfast was served in the garden in which a lot of details were to be seen.
We felt sorry to say goodbye so soon and will definitely come back if we return on route 62
Thank you so much Leon and Dennis for the great stop-over.
Iris and Paula

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2011

During our trip through the Little Karoo we (Joe & Monika) spent two nights in this charming B&B. Leon and Dennis are very friendly hosts and have created a cozy atmosphere. In the garden we watched the weaver birds and relaxed from our long trip. We enjoyed the perfect breakfast in the romantic garden cafe.
We felt very comfortable the whole time.

Room Tip: 2 rooms are facing the wonderful garden and are very quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2011

My husband and I were driving through Barrydale on our way to Knysna and found Tradouw Guesthouse on the way. It looked like a decent place to stop and have a quick cup of tea and a bite for lunch and it turned out to be a lovely surprise.

Denis gave us a wonderfully warm welcome! He really couldn't have been nicer and we sat down to a simple and lovely lunch. The outside restaurant with it's beautiful pergola and mural of the western cape on one wall is so charming. It absolutely oozes character! We had quiche and a toasted sandwich with a lovely salad on the side. It's not haute cuisine but it's still delicious and hits the spot! We then had the scones with strawberry jam! MY GOODNESS the BEST scones with cream and jam I've had outside of the UK!

We also then took a little tour of their back garden. Just delightful! My husband and I are both in the landscaping industry and just loved it! Quaint and well laid out. It really did look like the perfect place to kick off your shoes and enjoy the view while sipping on a cuppa and reading a book! Just darling. We've both agreed the next time we're in SA we have to book a room there and stay for a while.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2011

What can I say?? If you have not been there, you have not yet experienced the best service ever. The warmest fireplace in winter and the coolest river in summer.

I go at least 3 times a year. Valentines being one, my birthday is the other, then just another time because I can. As it is almost time for my birthday again, I will be packing my bags next weekend to go again. Denis makes the bestest Tomato and Cheese sandwich (according to a 20 year old girl - my daughter) I think it is the best place to be and have been going for 10 years almost. I hope there will be another ten more. Pack your bags if you want a real relaxing and enjoyable weekend. Make it a week. You will not be sorry.

Dawn & Jon

Room Tip: Ask for the garden rooms!!
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barrydale
Karoo Art Hotel
Sorgvry - House of Guests
Sorgvry - House of Guests
#2 of 6 in Barrydale
De Kloof Luxury Estate boutique hotel

Been to Tradouw Guest House? Share your experiences!