Ulusaba Safari Lodge
SUN1 Pretoria(Pretoria)(Great Value!)
$41
Hotels.com
Fortis Hotel Capital(Pretoria)(Great Value!)
$94
Agoda.com
Morning Star Express Hotel(Pretoria)(Great Value!)
$67
  • Pool
Arcadia Hotel(Pretoria)
$88
  • Restaurant
All reviewsriver roomwine cellargame drivesprivate dinnercommunity tourout of this worldplunge poolother guestschilled champagnetracker samprivate airstripgreat food and wineour honeymoontree houseonce in a lifetimewake upviewing platform
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed here for our first safari, in the Safari Lodge. The overall experience of a safari was incredible. Our ranger and tracker, Sam and Don were amazing, so knowledgeable, funny, great company together with their hawk eyes and skills to track and spot the animals.

The safari couldn't have been more special. The lodge itself is in the middle of the park, so don't expect not to have some of the wildlife join you eg frog spawn in the pool! The watering hole reached by a 500m walk along bridges is a truly magical place where you can see hippos playing, elephants bathing and birds fishing. It was such an incredible addition to a lodge and makes it a stand out property for me.

The dining experience of being together with the other guest was fine although I think that we were really lucky that we met lovely people who were amazing company (L&K!!) and whom we hope to stay in touch with. It could be difficult if you didn't get along with others.

The food was average and as a vegetarian a little bland.

So overall, a lovely experience with Sam and Don being inspirational and making the trip mind blowing!!

Room Tip: Safari Lodge is within the animals
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank escapeebristol
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Ulusaba is an experience that I can't wait to repeat! From the moment we arrived, the service was friendly, professional and welcoming. By the time we left, it felt as though we were leaving family behind! We had a River room which was large and spacious with a huge deck area overlooking the river bed. The bathroom was huge, with a large wet room area for the shower and a huge bathtub. Full size toiletries in the room, and every possible convenience from the fully loaded mini-bar to the power adaptor. We saw saw antelope and elephants from the deck area, as well having monkeys and baboons taking a closer look at the human inhabitants!
The food was delicious and the wine choices were varied, although the lunch menu was a little limited as it didn't change during our stay. The dinner menu was wonderful, with each course described by the chef, and some excellent wines. We had a bush BBQ one night, experienced a 5-course "taster menu" another, as well as buffet and a la carte options. It was aways beautifully presented and very tasty.
Our game drives were a fantastic experience - this was our first safari, and we were very lucky to have a wonderful ranger and tracker in Trevor and Sam who were happy to spend time watching the animals, so that we got as many photos as we wanted, as well as helping with the settings on the camera for anyone who needed it. It certainly helped that there were only 6 of us in the jeep, so everyone had a good view, No two game drives were the same and I feel extremely fortunate to have seen so many beautiful animals ups close, from the lions and lionesses, to the leopards and being able to see both White and Black Rhinos!
I loved it so much that as soon as I got home, I started planning our next trip!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alli D
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The game reserve at Ulusaba is open so you see herds of animals such as elephants and buffalos. The atmosphere here is very relaxed and embraces the concept of a safari being a 'shared experience' so breakfast and dinner is a communal affair. Everything and I mean everything is all-inclusive here - from mini-bar to laundry. Nothing is too much trouble. Food is beautifully prepared and if you like wine then this is the place to come (unfortunately my husband and I do not drink but we were sorely tempted!!). At time we could go 30 minutes with no wildlife but that is half the fun! We still saw all the big 5 plus wild dog, black rhino and the wow's for me were two leopards courting and the herd of elephant crossing the river - wow, wow and wow!

Room Tip: Elephant rooms are central and detached
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I visited last February/March and I have to say I simply can't get it out of my system!! So much so that I am heading back again next year for more!

The location is spectacular, peaceful, calm and very much part of the natural environment (I saw elephant and leopard from my room!) The rooms are beautiful too, very luxurious. I stayed in a River room which was stunning and loved being in the middle of the bush all but next time I will do stay a couple of nights in both camps to experience Rock lodge as well.

The overall mood there is relaxed and quite informal. There is a similar vibe in other Branson locations I have been to, but this doesn't mean quality is compromised in any way. It is just not stuffy or overly formal which works really well in this location.

And the game..having been on many safaris in the past I have never seen anything as close and in such abundance as in the Sabi, it is quite incredible. My only regret was not seeing wild Dog despite my ranger driving around all morning on my last day trying to find them! Our ranger Sam and our guide were first class too so you are in good hands.

Also worth a visit to one of the local villages that Pride and Purpose support. Great work being done here by the Lodge to support the local community.

What would I change? Very little. It is pricey and they need to watch it doesn't get too much so. Last time I went alone and it is great that they are now removing the single supplement when they're not too busy - that cost me yet there were lots of rooms empty - but they are listening to customers.

So, can't wait to go again. Hoping the remaining Mapogo lions are still around to see!

Room Tip: Room choice depends on several factors. All the rooms are lovely but differ in size. The safari room by the swing bridge has a rather 'open' bathroom and the bridge passes right by it, so you've been warned! If you like being away from the lodge and really in the thick of it get a map and choose accordingly. Prices do differ significantly so also depends on your budget and how much time you will actually spend in the room too!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Ulusaba is not just a physical place, it is an experience of.the state of mind that safari is. The physical location, high on the mountain top is surreal and.the jeep ride up the mountain provides the framework for this amazing experience of sensory pleasure. The rooms are amazing, four poster beds and all and the luxurious feel is subtle and inviting. The restaurant provides a breathtaking view atop the mountain and the food and wine provide more intoxication of the senses. The game rides are fantastic and you are sure to see all the game since the rangers are in contact with one another constantly. It is truly one of the highlight experiences of my travel life to have the opportunity to stay at this resort. Definitely one for the bucket list! Enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2011