“Ulusaba magic”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ulusaba Private Game Reserve
Ulusaba Safari Lodge
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I visited last February/March and I have to say I simply can't get it out of my system!! So much so that I am heading back again next year for more!

The location is spectacular, peaceful, calm and very much part of the natural environment (I saw elephant and leopard from my room!) The rooms are beautiful too, very luxurious. I stayed in a River room which was stunning and loved being in the middle of the bush all but next time I will do stay a couple of nights in both camps to experience Rock lodge as well.

The overall mood there is relaxed and quite informal. There is a similar vibe in other Branson locations I have been to, but this doesn't mean quality is compromised in any way. It is just not stuffy or overly formal which works really well in this location.

And the game..having been on many safaris in the past I have never seen anything as close and in such abundance as in the Sabi, it is quite incredible. My only regret was not seeing wild Dog despite my ranger driving around all morning on my last day trying to find them! Our ranger Sam and our guide were first class too so you are in good hands.

Also worth a visit to one of the local villages that Pride and Purpose support. Great work being done here by the Lodge to support the local community.

What would I change? Very little. It is pricey and they need to watch it doesn't get too much so. Last time I went alone and it is great that they are now removing the single supplement when they're not too busy - that cost me yet there were lots of rooms empty - but they are listening to customers.

So, can't wait to go again. Hoping the remaining Mapogo lions are still around to see!

Room Tip: Room choice depends on several factors. All the rooms are lovely but differ in size. The safari room...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Ulusaba Safari Lodge

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Ulusaba is not just a physical place, it is an experience of.the state of mind that safari is. The physical location, high on the mountain top is surreal and.the jeep ride up the mountain provides the framework for this amazing experience of sensory pleasure. The rooms are amazing, four poster beds and all and the luxurious feel is subtle and inviting. The restaurant provides a breathtaking view atop the mountain and the food and wine provide more intoxication of the senses. The game rides are fantastic and you are sure to see all the game since the rangers are in contact with one another constantly. It is truly one of the highlight experiences of my travel life to have the opportunity to stay at this resort. Definitely one for the bucket list! Enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I visited Ulusaba after I had been to several game lodges in South Africa. Everything from being collected at their private airstrip, to the food and lodging and the game drives were awesome! Have never seen as many wild animals in my life as I have seen there. Went fishing in one of the ponds with alligators on the opposite shore. The fish never stopped biting. I will definitely return a.s.a.p.!

Room Tip: Go in the spring as the grass is shorter so the animals can't hide quite as easily. This is an...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Ulusaba was worth every cent we paid to stay there. This is not just a holiday destination it is an experience of a lifetime.

For the moment we contacted the Virgin team to make our travel arrangements, every member of staff we came into contact with was incredibly helpful. I've been on safari before but this is different - from the very first moment you step off the plane, every little detail is taken care of. The safari lodge rooms, the meals, the location, the game drives with hot water bottles and ponchos, sundowners drinks in the bush, the guides and lodge staff are all incredible - and that's before you even see any animals!

We saw lions mating whilst we ate breakfast, heard lions and hippos calling during the night, got to see leopards on 4 occasions, saw elephants playing in muddy watering holes, tracked zebras and rhinos and saw so many amazing birds and that still doesn't even nearly cover it - we saw everything - except a honey badger :) Every minute of each game drive was different.

We spent 5 nights at Ulusaba and didn't want to leave...it is the only place we've ever visited that we know we'll come back to, it is a magical place tha everyone should have the privilege of visiting.

Thank you to the whole Ulusaba family including Phillip and Kaiser our guide and tracker and all the lodge staff - it totally surpassed all our expectations! THANK YOU!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2012

James and I have just returned from our honeymoon, during which we spent the first 5 days in Safari Lodge, Ulusaba. I'm not sure we are going to be able to decribe in words quite how amazing it was. All the staff at Ulusaba are absolutely fantastic and made us feel so welcome.
Our room was amazing, the food was awesome and the choice of drinks was unbelievable. The games drives were out of this world and were one million times better then we ever expected them to be. I remember saying to James one day into our honeymoon, after our first drive, where we saw leopards, hippo's, and a male lion roar to his brothers that even if we go home now it will have been the most amazing experience of my life!! Luckilly we didnt have to and spent 4 awesome days and nights at Ulusaba. Johnny our ranger and Dan out tracker were fantastic. Johnny enthusiasm was infectious and his knowledge was immence, his love and respect for all the animals especially the leopards shone though and we feel so lucky to have them both to take us on safari drives. Ulusaba was fantastic, life changing and we will remember our four days there forever.

We wanted to write to thank Johnny, Dan, Kim and Robin personally for being just so lovely and helping make our honeymoon so totally unforgettable and amazing. We've never ever been close to tears when leaving anywhere but both James and I were crying when we got on the plane to leave. Thank you all so much for the best 4 days imaginable. We will never ever forget it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rachel W
VLELondon, General Manager at Ulusaba Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Thank you so much for your amazing comments. It means so much to all of us here at Ulusaba to know that you had such a lovely experience and really appreciate all the positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you & James back to Ulusaba in the future; perhaps for a wedding anniversary one year!

All the best and have a magic day.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

We wanted to book something special for our 5th wedding anniversary so decided that we would goto South Africa. I looked at a few places before I found Ulusaba, Virgin always do things very well so i knew this would be good and Ulusaba is a great example of that. The place was incredible. We were met at the air strip by our ranger Johnny , he took us to the lodge and gave us some information about the area. The lodge is amazing its spacious and beautiful its been very well designed. We stayed in River 4 its a huge beautiful room with a great plunge pool ( which Elephants occasionally drink from) the shower was awesome and the bed very comfortable. The room has great snacks an awesome mini bar. Its light airy and relaxing. The room also had an ipad, books, magazines. The bathroom has great Africology toiletries.

All of the meals were amazing lots of choices and very well prepared. My wife is a vegetarian and she had lots to choose from. You can eat very healthy at every meal. They had a great selection of wines every lunch time and evening. We had meals with the rangers and other guests that was fun they have so much great information about the area.

All of the staff are so friendly they go to every length to make sure you have a good time. Our ranger Johnny and tracker Dan were fantastic. we saw all of the big five and much more after a few drives. They are packed with information on all the the animals and the Kruger in general. They have just got a new telescope and you should make sure that you use it 1 night, it was brilliant.
My wife used the spa and she said it was great. The gym has some good equipment and if you have the energy you can get a good work out. It worth doing a bush walk you will see lots of things that you dont spot on a drive.

It was a holiday that felt like it lasted a long time but was great fun everyday. We will definitely be going back. We stayed for 5 nights but could have stayed longer each drive was incredible and different. Breakfast or Lunch at Rock lodge is fun you get incredible views.

A big thanks To Kim, Johnny, Dan, Robin, Diert and all the other staff they made this our best vacation ever. IN short its the best Safari lodge I have ever stayed at 10 out of 10 thank you.

Room Tip: All of the rooms looked awesome anything you pick will be amazing
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank philip v
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, they really are very much appreciated and I can assure you that I will pass them onto all the team as I know they'll be so pleased to hear them. We're so happy you chose Ulusaba to celebrate your 5th wedding anniversary and hope to welcome you back for another anniversary in the not too distant future.

On behalf of the entire family at Ulusaba thank you for your feedback.

All the best and have a magic day!

Reviewed June 25, 2012

It's hard to write a review that accurately encompasses how phenomenal this place is! From the moment you are picked up at the airstrip to the teary goodbye as you fly away this is more than a hotel, resort, lodge, or even camp. It's an unforgettable and life changing experience you will compare all of your trips to.

* Amazing food,- great selection, and may opportunities to eat. You will not go hungry!
* Knowledgeable trackers that are all funny, friendly, and work together to maximize the game drives
* Staff that makes you feel like royalty
* Beauty that no superlatives can describe
* Endless animal sightings..we saw everything!

We have been to several countries in the world, including a safari in Kenya. Ulusaba is the most
stunning and unforgettable place I've ever seen. I'll never get the image of the sunsets out of my head. My only advice is to go. Once in a lifetime..no one at home will ever understand how much an effect staying at a place can have on your life. Just go!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fijiheaven
Management response:Responded July 6, 2012

I wanted to write to say thank you for your lovely comments about your recent stay with us at Ulusaba. We are thrilled to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay and so pleased that you came away feeling that Ulusaba is more than a hotel, for us it's a home and we always try to offer unique experiences for each guest so it's fantastic to hear your feedback. I will be sure to pass on your comments to all of the team and we sincerely hope to welcome you back to Ulusaba in the near future.

All the best and have a magic day!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ulusaba Private Game Reserve
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
Londolozi Private Game Reserve
#3 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Reserve
Inyati Game Lodge, Sabi Sand Res...
#1 of 1 in Inyati Private Game Reserve
Royal Malewane
Royal Malewane
#2 of 175 in Kruger National Park
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge
#9 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve
Leopard Hills Private Game Reser...
#1 of 1 in Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve
Elephant Plains Game Lodge
Elephant Plains Game Lodge
#15 of 42 in Sabi Sand Game Reserve

Been to Ulusaba Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!