All reviews master suite sabi sands other guests game drives richard branson safari experience greeted with champagne our honeymoon wine cellar remember forever private airstrip wild dogs private meal out of this world land rover local village words cannot describe
Selected filters
Reviewed November 3, 2008

Just spent 4 nights at Ulusaba - our first safari experience. Ulusaba, like many safari lodges is expensive but having now been there I can understand why. Ratio of staff to guests is 3:1. The price you pay includes everything - all game drives (2 a day), all food and all drink. Our extras bill was .... zero. Service was warm, attentive and friendly. Our room - Makwela Dusk Suite - was spacious, luxurious and, overall, as much as we could have hoped for. The game drives were amazing ! We had the same ranger throughout, Steve, and there were 6 of us on open top Land Rover - loads of space and very comfortable. We saw pretty much everything - lions, leopards, elephants, giraffes, buffalo, zebra, baboons any many more. Well worth getting up at 430am everyday ! Our only negative at Ulusaba was the food which was patchy. Guests meet at 5am for the morning game drive and tea/coffee is served with ... scones. Everyday is the same and I note the take up was unenthusiastic. I really think perhaps bacon rolls might be called for. Breakfast after game drive was superb. Lunch is okay. Dinner ranged from excellent (nights 1 &2) to okay (night 3) to rather average (night 4). Wines were all excellent. So, in summary, excellent staff and service, amazing game drives, very good room and facilities but slightly disappointing food. Having said that we would, and probably will, return.

Date of stay: October 2008
4  Thank New2Jersey
Reviewed October 1, 2008

My fiance and I went there at the beginning of September 08 and had the most wonderful time ever! The staff were so friendly and warm it was unbelievable. We also were lucky enough to get a wonderful ranger-tracker pair -Stuart and John, who were both so wonderful and gave us the time of our lives. John's expert tracking skills are out of this world and spotted several things without even having to make that much of an effort! Stuart was very informative and kept the jokes rolling throughout the whole time we were there. The weather was also great -very cool for the first two days, then perfectly dry and sunny for the remaining two, which was lucky because my fiance (who was then my boyfriend) was waiting for a beautiful day so he could propose! Ahhh! All safari members (visitors and staff) were fantastic and couldn't have made the day any more special for us than they had. They even went to the effort of dressing up our room in rose petals and setting up a table for us so we could have a private meal together in our room. For anyone going for the first time, I would recommend going in September as there aren't too many leaves on the trees so animal spotting is much easier. Also, bring a wooly hat and jumper for the morning drives -they are chilly!! I would definately recommend an Ulusaba experience to anyone who can get it. Highly impressed!

Date of stay: September 2008
1  Thank septembersabi
Reviewed June 7, 2008

We have now been four times and have stayed in both Rock Lodge and Safari Lodge,
In August we spent four nights at Rock Lodge,with our guests for our wedding,which was a fantastic experience,if any readers are looking to get married without all the hassle of a home wedding,then this is the package for you,simply pack your dresses and suits,(which will be pressed on arrival)and get married in the bush,with stag and hen nights,arranged as well,luckily stags are not tied to a bush and left to the lions !
Seriously this is probably one of the best Lodges in the world,
complimented by the best Staff ,Rangers and Trackers available, though i must say that the Rangers need to brush up on their dancing skills,the females in our party had got very excited ,at the Reception when they heard Duart the Head Ranger was to show off his moves on the Dancefloor,but he was more new born Giraffe than Travolta!
There is nothing more to say that other Reviews have not already said,just get out there and enjoy

Date of stay: August 2007
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed March 6, 2008

Well what can I say. The title says it all. We got married in Ulusaba in March 2007 and it was the most incredible experience. We spent 1 week in the resort in total and cannot explain in words sufficiently how amazing this place is. The location is stunning, the rooms are incredible (we actually got to stay in Richard Branson's master suite!) and most importantly the game drives and the beauty you experience out in the bush take your breath away. A big shout out to our ranger and tracker Philip and Tulani who made the experience so much more fulfilling. Our wedding was organised to perfection and we got married out in the heart of the bush at King's Rock. I cannot recommend it enough...you MUST go. We just cannot wait to go back hopefully in a few years for our wedding anniversary. This place will touch your heart in so many ways. It is top end luxury and pampering without any pretense, you are immediately welcomed and feel like you have become part of a family. We were so sad to leave. Don't even think twice about this place, there is absolutely nothing bad I can say about it.

Date of stay: March 2007
1  Thank Smartbean
Reviewed January 17, 2008

As I write, I am sitting at the computer in the Makwela Dusk suite at Ulusaba's Rock Lodge - we leave tomorrow and I feel a little sad as I will actually miss all the amazing sights we have seen - a cheetah, the grumpy hippos, the peaceful elephants amongst many others. All the staff have been fabulous and our accommodation truly fantastic. On our first day after an 11 hour flight, Richard Branson offered to make us a cup of tea, he joined us for dinner on our first night with his wife and other lodge guests - what a down to earth, genuine, caring couple who are truly interested in their customers! It was a surprise for us to meet them but it was a real treat. We are here on our honeymoon before we go to the Seychelles and we have stayed for 5 nights - I would definitely love to come back in the winter and see what surprises the game reserve has to offer - it is a fantastic experience and you feel at home the minute you arrive - its nothing like being in a hotel and cannot be compared. If you are even slightly thinking about booking a safari - just do it - whether you are 15 or 50 - it's the trip for you!!

Date of stay: January 2008