“Romantic Weekend”

Forest Creek Lodge & Spa
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We got engaged on our weekend at Forest Creek. Anita and staff were very effiicient and helpful with the arrangements. Our stay was great and would recommend it for a romantic getaway. The road does need attention , although our vehicle handeled it perfectly.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Forest Creek Lodge & Spa

Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Celebration of our Engagement was amazing at The Forest Creek Lodge! The booking arrangements were done quickly and professionally and we truly received a warm welcome from all upon our arrival. It has to be noted that the road up to the lodge is by far the worst we have ever driven and it really needs to be stated much more clearly just how bad the road is to the Lodge, even though our Toyota did make it to the top and back down again (barely). Our Host was just amazing and chopped and changed things for our convenience. We have to also note that his "Blue Mountains" were just delicious and highly recommended, especially with the awesome food that was set before us. Our room was stunning and the setting was romantic with a beautiful outside shower and huge bath to choose from (both well-used). Unfortunately, however, our weekend was a leetle (little) spoilt by the Spa Treatment that I had (neck & back massage) done by someone who I don't think was taught and knew what they were doing as I was left with bruises of finger-marks all over my back, a huge headache and in complete agony and my fiancé had to (re)massage my aches and pains away. It must be said though that the views were awesome, the hike was enjoyable (definitely NOT for the unfit) and the service and hospitality was excellent. We will go back any day (with a 4x4)!

Room Tip: All rooms are pretty much secluded, but we in particular loved the Narina Room which had a beautiful...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Our stay at Forest Creek was in celebration of my wife's birthday.

As mentioned by some other reviewers, the road to the lodge is definitely not suitable for a sedan, but it can be done in about 30 minutes with a soft roader. The booking form mentions the need for a high clearance vehicle.

On arrival, we were assisted with our luggage, and shown to the Carmine unit. It is quite spacious, clean and met my expectations in every regard. The bathroom area is open plan, with a divider and I actually found the setup fairly romantic, albeit slightly dated. The side door exit leads to a beautiful garden patio area, and the unit itself closely situated to the main restaurant style reception and bar area.

The area is beautiful and casual hikers will enjoy the walk in the forest that might take about 1.5-2 hours. We were able to complete a large part of the route with a 2 year old, but had to turn back due to bad weather.

My main criticism of the weekend was that we did not find the staff to be all that helpful. For example, on our return from our hike on day 1 at about 3pm we both wanted to order coffee, but were then informed that coffee was not served at this time of the day. I mean, really? It was my wife's birthday (and I had informed Anita in advance), yet coffee was too much too ask from the bar assistant when we come back from an hour walk in the bush?

My wife then went for a massage, which was not done by a professional but she nevertheless enjoyed it. Our dinner experience was reasonable as well, the food was enjoyable enough and the staff actually made some effort to entertain my wife.

Price wise the weekend was too expensive, at such a high price range I would have expected facilities like a pool and perhaps more professional service, and maybe even a qualified masseuse. I still enjoyed it as a once off trip (and our first to the Dullstroom area) and it was memorable enough to deem a success given that I set out to spoil my wife. I doubt that I would have the same sentiments had it not been such a special occasion.

That being said, the surrounding mountains really do create a special atmosphere, I think couples looking for a romantic getaway will enjoy the experience and surroundings especially during the green seasons. There are also little wooden walkways that add a bit to the refinement and closeness to nature.

We also went for a drive at a neighboring game farm that was recommended by Anita, and although it was not a true wildlife experience, it still brought us close to the green grasslands and tranquility of the area - for the small price, definitely worthwhile.

All in all, if one can stomach the high price and are not already familiar with the surrounding mountains of this area, it should make for a nice romantic weekend for those who appreciate nature.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank niella75
Reviewed October 18, 2012

What a lovely surprise to be greeting with such friendliness at Forest Creek Lodge & Spa. We had the best honeymoon ever.
Although the road is at places not the best, our little Ford Fiesta got us to our destination without any trouble. We were greeted by the friendly Paulus who also assisted with our luggage. Our room was absolutely gorgeous and we thoroughly enjoyed the quiet. The fact that we struggled with cellphone reception, was not a problem - who wants to be disrupted by phones while in such a loving setting. The staff was very helpful and even assisted with making fire for our braai (due to the wood being damp). Even the two cats, Madam & Lucy, made us feel welcome and Heidi, the dog, took us on a guide down to the river. Anita & Mush was ever so friendly and assisted where we needed. The spa was very lovely and relaxing with a beautiful view.
We would like to thank everyone at Forest Creek for making our honeymoon the best time ever.
We will surely be back for our anniversary.
Thank you so much!
Blessings!
Kobus & Joey Hanekom

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joey H
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I am a reasonable person, I never complain at a restaurant or Hotel if I get what I paid for, but this experience was awfull. Having travelled all the way from London, Myself and my Parents , brothers, grandparents ect. Were all booked for a 3 day week- end in the " Luxury " " Spa " lodge.

We set out on a Friday morning with so much excitement , having a family week- end away , all together is a rare occurrence . Having been sold as a Dullstroom lodge is a miss sold piece of information , as it is 60 km away from Dullstroom , on the worst road ever imagined! Luckily we were warned before hand of this! However other guest at the Lodge were not and were stunned at the condition of the Road, word to the wise: Do Not, I repeat, Do Not attempt this road with anything other than a 4x4 vehicle.

On arrival we were pleased to see a notice saying that our luggage would be taken to our rooms for us , all we had to do was enjoy our stay. We walked to reception along a beautiful path. At reception we were warmly greeted by Paulus and treated to a sherry , taking in the beautiful view.

After being showed to our room ( a bit of a dissapointment to say the least , lights not working and satellite broken, small things that you would expect to be checked before you arrive) we went to the dining room for our " 4 course meal" ! What a dissapointment ! But not the staff' s fault as they always did everything to the best of their abbilities. Serious training needed there, or a professional chef! The Same 3 ladies that cooked our meal cleaned our rooms , did the laundry and run the "spa" ! Incredible! When we were eating dinner a lady from the kitchen would go to our room to tidy! The same lady that treated me to a Pedicure in the spa.

Anita should be eternally grateful for her wonderful staff! They are the Highlight of the Lodge, always friendly and helpful! She should however be ashamed to charge people R30 000 for a week-end!!!!

I will never return.

• Stayed: October 2012
6  Thank NaninePollatos
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We had the pleasure of spending our honeymoon at the beautiful Forest Creek Lodge in March 2012 and our only regret was that we couldn’t stay longer.

We pulled up to the parking and were amazed to read that porters would help us with our luggage – treatment we have never received at any other lodges we have been to before. The beautiful trees and pathways on the way to the reception are simply breath taking and the view from the dining area is something you can only experience for yourself, no amount of explanation can highlight how amazing it is!!

We were spoilt with a four course meal every night which was always amazing!! The food was cooked exactly to our taste and the presentation was always beautiful. Eating breakfast on the patio looking out onto the scenery started our days off so well!

Our room was absolutely gorgeous and the cleaning staff always did a great job of cleaning up and making us feel like we really had to do nothing but relax.

Thank you to all the staff of Forest Creek Lodge for making us feel so welcome and for being as kind and professional as one could imagine!!

We will definitely be back.

Gabriel & Nikita

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Gabriel G-man G
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Well I had no idea where we were going until we got that and what a great surprise it was!:)

We were warmly welcomed by friendly and helpful staff, to a stunning destination and the most beautiful room, we were a bit early for check in so we were kept busy by a great barmen who provided us with some lovely sherry to keep us warm as it was a bit of a chilly rainy day, after we checked in we decided to treat ourselves to the spa and had great massages which put me in the total "holiday relaxation" mode. After that we got ready for the most delicious home cooked style christmas eve dinner, which to my surprise was setup in our room with candles,romantic music, a cozy fire burning with fairy lights and rose petals all over the room. Which Anita our warm friendly host and my boyfriend had set up, where i got engaged that night :)

The next day we went fly fishing for the first time in our lifes which explains why we didnt catch anything hehe, so my fiance deciced to take Mush(who was so helpful and friendly) with the next round of fishing to show him the ropes, We then went clay pigeon shooting with Mush which was also so much fun.

Later the day we took a hike upto the waterfall and enjoyed a lovely picnic,which i highly recommend it was soo beautiful, Mush even offered us his jack russel to show us the way..

What can i say one of the best places I have had the pleasure to go to, the staff was amazing, food was amazing and accomadation was luxurious,something you would see in the books.

Thanx Anita and Mush for making our stay amazing!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kyleigh B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dullstroom
Walkersons Hotel & Spa
#1 of 16 in Lydenburg
Dunkeld Country Estate
Dunkeld Country Estate
#9 of 31 in Dullstroom

Been to Forest Creek Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!