“Rude disinterested staff!!! The overall rating is POOR but it registered very good!!!!”
Review of Water Margin

Water Margin
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We travelled from Canterbury to Chilworth especially to go to the Water Margin at North Baddesley, Southampton. As we walked in we were virtually ignored ( we were the first there) the staff were grumpy and did not engage with us at all. The manageress insisted we give the whole of the meal order immediately rather than wait each course to see what we wanted. The older man was the only pleasant person there, sadly he didnt serve us. Really disappointed the evening went completely flat and it was supposed to be really special. The food was lovely but served by miserable disinterested people spoilt it. The manageress appears to care nothing for her clientele and it is amazing this restaurant still has lots of customers we will not be going again.

Not recommended for a good night out!!

6  Thank Christine P
There are newer reviews for Water Margin

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We have enjoyed our visits to the Water Margin over many years. HOWEVER, although the food is still of a very good standard, the service is not just poor these days it is rude and destroys the whole experience.The staff are complacent and rude they want you in and out as quickly as possible. we were not greeted or seated with any care and were made to feel quite unwelcome.
We usually visit twice when we are in the area, but not this time and we will think hard before going back.

5  Thank JVE007
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Cannot fault anything! All you can eat, and I wish I could eat it all! Starters are good portions to mix with a group of people, and the mains choices are amazing!
Friendly atmosphere and waiters!

Reviewed January 17, 2013

We have been dining at the Water Margin for over 10 years now. I consider myself and my family fairly regular customers. At one time it was one of our favorite restaurants both for family celebrations and the occasional meal out. I have to say that the service at one time was very good. However in the last few years it has gradually deteriorated. It is now positively sloppy and often extremely rude. We have given them chance after chance but after the last episode we will never use this restaurant again. We booked a table for 11 on the occasion of my wifes birthday this was booked 4 weeks before the event! When we arrived we were placed on two separate tables which rather put a damper on the evening as it was a special family event. To add to this my daughter could not get a baby sitter and so she had to bring my 3 year old grandaughter with her, the rather officious lady running the restaurant was most unhappy about the 'extra' person and told us in no uncertain terms that they did not provide high chairs and she would have to put another chair at the table. We all kept quiet and just split into two groups and took our seats. We had decided to use the 'buffet' menu, as most will know this means that you can choose whatever starters you would like and then a main course for a set price per person. This was £17:30p per person and £9:30 for children. The service was poor to say the least, the two tables were served by different serving staff at a very different rate and one table were far ahead of the other. The staff bordered on arrogance on several occasions and at no time treated us like valued customers, when we asked for water it was all a huge effort to get some and it was charged for. My 3 year old grandaughter did not eat anything other than a few of the prawn crackers that were brought to the table at the start of the meal, and she had not been booked in as one of the 11 in the party, but when the bill was presented we were charged £9:30 for her. when I queried this I was told that she had taken up a seat so she had to be paid for. All this was done by the staff very loudly, rudely and with utter disdain. I mildly protested that this was not reasonable - but as it was supposed to be a family get together to celebrate a birthday we decided to pay and leave. After using the Water Margin for more than 10 years we will never return.

6  Thank Vintagemalt
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I went here tonight to get my takeaway and was told that it wasn't quite ready so to take a seat and he would bring me a beer.
That's really nice I thought and sure enough a beer came out and I was quite happy.
Then the bill came with the beer on it.
I suggested that as I was offered the beer I shouldn't really have to pay for it.
The woman said that I wasn't offered a beer at all but I was told to take a seat and I they would get the bill. I said what's this then? Showing her the beer. She said that I ordered it and I would have to pay for it. I protested but she wouldn't have it and raised her voice at me in front of a full restaurant. I suggested that her customer service was terrible as I am a regular customer and I had spent over £200 there in December alone and her attitude was jeopardising my custom. She said she didn't care and demanded I pay for the beer. I asked to speak to the owner and she said she was the owner.

Never been spoken to like that before and will never go there again.

4  Thank Murfmeister_general