“Rustic but a fun place and great value!”

and 1 more site!
Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort
Fort Myers, Florida
“Rustic but a fun place and great value!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Having lived in New Mexico 10+ yrs now, and hearing about Sipapu, My partner and I decided to give it a try. We booked 1 night, last minute, and fortunately they had vacancy at the "hotel" building. We drove up from the ABQ area early, skied all day, plenty of snow, and our room was ready for check in at the end of our skiing. The room was spacious with 2 queen beds a dresser, nightstand, small closet area and a large bathroom that was well stocked with towels and plentybof piping hot water. What else could one want, right? One thing for us....heat!, as outside temps werecin the 20's! The one gas wall heater in the room was marked...."Do Not Use, Not Working". With no phone in the room, abd the checkin desk at the lodge closed for the day( they close at 5pm), we were a little nervous about not having heat. We then learned that the night desk, across the road from the lodge, is open from 5-10 pm.
When I informed the young lady at the desk that our room had no heat, she immediately called mantenance, who then brought a portable radiant heater to the room which provided more than enough heat for the room. The hotel room was clean and sufficient for our needs for the night, however, keep in mind there are no amenities, i.e., phone, television, coffee maker, fridge, micro. It's important to also note that the entire resort shuts down at 8 pm. Bar , restaurant and all. This was fine for us old farts, but if you're looking for a "happening" place, this is not it. A few comments about the bar, dining room. Again, very rustic....order at the counter off a dry erase board menu. The selections were good(not extensive) for a small resort, and no complaints about the food quality. We ate lunch and dinner at the resort(as it's your only option unless you want to drive an hour or more). The bar was fun for Apres' ski relaxing, andcyou can't beat their prices. Our meals and drinks were a fraction of the cost had we gone to Taos or Angelfire!!! Would we return?.....Absolutely! Friendly, rustic, inexpensive, great snow, beautiful setting!!! The one thing we would do different is book far enough in advance so to reserve different accomodations, i.e., a cabin, suite or duplex which have more ammenities than the hotel and seem a bit more comfortable. The hotel, mind you, is adequate for the budget minded folks, and is a good value for slopeside lodging. So, as their moto says....."Find it, Ski it"!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank traveloversw
Stacey G, Public Relations Manager at Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
traveloversw, thank you for taking the time to share your experiences about our resort! We are so glad you and your partner enjoyed your time on our mountain, in our lodging and at our restaurant - and thanks for even including our tagline in your review! We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Socorro, New Mexico
Reviewed February 21, 2013

STAFF bad attitudes last Saturday almost ruined our day. After driving all the way from Socorro and in line with paperwork filled out before 9 AM was told that we were too late for the morning lesson and the children could have their lesson at 1PM. I even repeated that back to the guy at the counter and he said there were other things we could do until then. He said we qualified for the military discount so I took the time to go get the ID and was then told the discount wasn’t available. At 11AM there was another class forming and since I didn’t understand why we got stuck with 1PM I went over and asked the instructors if my grandchildren could take the earlier class and was told no in spite of the fact that the those who had been scheduled for the class hadn’t shown up. At 1pm I was told that we had been scheduled at 11AM????and treated as if I were just another dumb customer that screwed up until…..several other people showed up to take the class and they had also been scheduled at 11. The staff was rude about everything. My 11 year old grandson who knew nothing about skiing was rudely chastised for having something tucked into his boot? Isn’t that why they have lessons? To learn? We had a good time but that had nothing to do with the behavior of the Staff – they were really awful.

Room Tip: The cabins are much smaller than they look in the photos. You are expected to do your own cleaning...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Stacey G, Public Relations Manager at Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Cheri,

I am so sorry this was your experience at our resort - Sipapu strives to be a family-friendly, fun destination for all of our guests, and I apologize that we missed the mark.

When you posted this same feedback on our Facebook page this week, please know that your concerns were taken not only to the Ski School Director but also to our General Manager. Per our response to you last week, we would like to get in touch with you regarding this matter. We need additional details about the individual staff members so we can address this immediately with them. Our priority is to provide excellent guest service, and we hoped we could work directly with you on this to help make this situation right.

To date, we have not heard from you. Again, we would love to talk with you directly so that we can identify the employees that didn't meet our customer service standards. Please contact me at 970-375-1845 or marketing@SipapuNM.com to help resolve this and to avoid these issues for future guests.

Again, Cheri, we sincerely apologize that your trip was a disappointment. We hope we can help make this right - feel free to contact me at any time. Thanks again for taking the time to provide your honest feedback - this information helps us to be a better resort. We hope to connect with you soon.

Travelers are raving about these Vadito hotels

Benbrook
Reviewed February 4, 2013

My husband brought me to "learn" to ski. We skied for 3 days, and I had a lesson all three days. Everyone was so nice to me. I was such a baby, but my ski instructors took me by the hand and got me through all my fears. (Well, except running into trees and/or landing in the creek nearby.) I envy all the children learning to ski, while learning as an overweight 40 something, seems like the most difficult event ever. However--once I figured out the equipment--I went through 4 different ski boots and 2 different size of skis (and everyone was patient and kind to me as I whined and cried) I finally made it down the beginner hill. The ski lift on the plates was more difficult than the hill! Anyway--even with all my drama--I am learning to ski and I'm returning in two weeks to try it some more.

Sipapu really is the perfect place for beginners. The bunny hill with the magic carpet is very helpful. When I fell down going through the orange cones the kids came running to help me up. My instructors never gave up on me and always had kind words of praise and encouragement. The men that fit me for my boots and skis would chuckle every time something wouldn't work just right for me, but were soo patient, and wanted everything to work out for me.

Oh! A couple more things. . .as I whined and cried about my boot not fitting correctly (it really was too tight/made my legs shake uncontrollably and gave me a huge bruise!), my husband was soo disgusted with me. . .a child staff worker of about 8-10 years old came to my rescue and explained how emotional people can be learning to ski. Also, my husband lost his cell phone skiing on one of the black diamond trails, and it was found! Hubby found it, but the staff went out of their way to help seek and rejoiced when he returned to the lodge to say it was found!

What my husband and I found was that Sipapu was all about customer service. At least the skiing part. I would not have advanced as far as I did without the help of the wonderful people. (You experts out there that picked up on the sport faster than I have. . .good for you. It really could have been easy for me to quit within the first hour, but I stayed in the game.)

We have always stayed at a hotel in Taos. I would suggest that. . .just because I've never been to a clean bathroom at a ski lounge. They stink. They're in the mountains and the plumbing can't be great--I'd guess this about electric heat and A/C. . .so don't complain if you stay around here. . .

I can't wait to return and tackle the ski lift! Next year I'll bring a child or two!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marla C
Maria, we are so glad to hear your first skiing experience was at Sipapu and you had a wonderful time. I will be sure to share your positive feedback about our rental shop and ski school with those department managers and their staff. We look forward to seeing you and your family again at our resort! Thanks again for taking the time to write this review.
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Our family stayed in apartment 9. There was more than enough room for the seven of us. We where supplied with all the towels, wash clothes, hand towels, and blankets we needed. A wood stove and electric wall heaters kept us very warm & cozy. We where able to make nice meals in the apartment that had most everything we needed. The view was very nice from the apartment also and the ski slopes awesome.

Room Tip: Apt 9 for a large family.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sag10r
Sag10r, thank you for staying at our resort - we're thrilled to hear that you and your family enjoyed your vacation in Apartment 9 and at our resort. Thank you so much for taking the time to provide feedback, and we hope to see you again in the future.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed December 30, 2012

First off, If your looking for a first class five star ski resort go ahead and look elswhere. Sipapu is one of only a few ski resorts in New Mexico to offer slopeside lodging and it will NOT bust your wallet like the others. As for the resort itself, Sipapu is NOT five star like I said, there are several lodging options, I personally have stayed in the hotel room which was cheap and old but for the money I paid and location, was right on par I would say. I also stayed in a lodge room which is about the same quality of the hotel room and not very clean. The location and price is what keep me going back to Sipapu, you can stay no more then 50 feet away from the lift for about $50.00 bucks or cheaper a night. I find the staff to be the 'keep to themselves' type, not the nicest of people but not really rude either.

The mountain is awesome! They make snow almost nightly and never NEVER have bad lift lines! Lots of trails for you to choose from and parks for those tricksters. Very family friendly mountain and a great place for the little ones to learn using the little magic carpet Sipapu has.

For a family ski or board vacation at an amazing price, Sipapu is well worth it!

Room Tip: You get what you pay for. Try the small or large Duplex which is closest to the slopes.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Heather K
Stacey G, Public Relations Manager at Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Hi, Heather:

Thanks for your review! We are glad you stayed with us and we look forward to your next visit at Sipapu.
Placitas, New Mexico
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Not a fancy place, but price makes up for it. Played disk golf and loved it, locals took me under their wing to show me how. Great walking trails before the winter hits. We stopped here on our way to Utah and enjoyed the highway views getting there.
Great place for a group of friends to hang at a price they can afford (like a dorm room. The people that work in the shop were very helpful in pointing out things to do. Not much else in the area to do, but you will enjoy getting away from the city.

Room Tip: No TV, no Internet, no phone, no Wi Fi, NO COFFEE POT, no frige. Best tip bottom floor. Only stair...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CavemanHHH
Stacey G, Manager at Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at our resort. We look forward to seeing you here - or on our disc golf course! - again in the future. Thank you for your feedback.
Texas Hill Country
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Family friendly and budget conscious get-away from the Summer heat. Don't expect too much, except reasonable rates and out of the way location, and you'll be OK. Not fancy in any way and nothing at all close by. Main attraction is the beautiful Carson National Forest which surrounds the area. Many little communities within driving distance and Taos is about 30 minutes away too. They have a challenging disc golf course in the Summer and a small ski area in Winter. Pueblo creek flows thru the property and is very peaceful and pretty. The wifi didn't work at all, although there is cell phone reception.

Honestly, the place needs a total remodel, but at least it's in a beautiful area and is affordable.

Room Tip: There are a few cabins, a couple of motel like facilities and even mobile homes....ask about the rat...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Van W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vadito
Hampton Inn Taos
#12 of 15 in Taos
Super 8 Taos
Super 8 Taos
#7 of 15 in Taos

Been to Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort? Share your experiences!