Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort
$130
$119
Hampton.com
Sagebrush Inn & Suites(Taos)(Great Value!)
$64
El Monte Sagrado(Taos)
$149
$127
  • Pool
Hotel La Fonda de Taos(Taos)(Great Value!)
$129
The Historic Taos Inn(Taos)(Great Value!)
$89
All reviewslift ticketsthe main lodgefood truckmagic carpetski instructordisc golf courselove this placefour seasonsski areabloody marysspring breakhour lessonski schoolsanta fegreat place for beginnersgreat fudgecooking oil
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We decided to give Sipapu a try as a family after my son took a day trip to here with his Boy Scout Troop. It is small, quaint, friendly and perfect for a family on a budget. All three of my kids have learned to ski here and we think the instructors are great. We have stayed in the hotel, apartments, suites, cabins, and mobile home and have enjoyed them all, but you have to have the right attitude and expectations. All of the accommodations are older and some are original to Sipapu when it was built in the 1950's, so don't come expecting anything fancy, rustic would be more the word. We have never had a problem with any of the lodging not being clean.

As far as affordability goes they offer so many discounts and special that you can practically ski for free. Rental equipment is very reasonably priced and the staff is very helpful. When we take a day trip we pack a picnic lunch and enjoy it on a slope-side picnic table or grab a table in the lodge if we need to warm up. There is also a restaurant onsite, but we always bring our own food. When we stay overnight we like to book lodging with a kitchen so we can cook to help keep food costs down. Make sure you check out their website to find out what deals or discounts you might be eligible for. Active duty military can ski for free, as well as 40 year olds, 70 and up, 4th graders, and 6 and under.

As far as skiing goes, it is great, but like anywhere else it all depends on the weather. They have as much or as little snow as any of the other ski resorts around. We were there just this weekend when we woke up for 9 inches of new snow! There is a great variety of trails and everyone is my family is satisfied.

This ski season we are making weekly trips from Albuquerque passing up two other ski areas on the way (Sandia and Santa Fe) but even with the drive Sipapu is so much more affordable that we will not consider going anywhere else.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Michelle_Summers
Reviewed January 12, 2012

I absolutely love this place, and always have. I have been going since I was a kid in the early 70's. back then we went pretty much every year, late summer to go trout fishing. Although I do not go every year anymore as an adult, I have been back several times in the last 10 years, usually to fish for a week with my Dad, 2 older brothers, and my brother in law, and i am planning a trip with my own family this summer. I cannot speak to how this place is in the winter, as I have never been during the winter. I have never ever had a bad time here, it has always been extremely quiet, simplistic, and enjoyable. Everyone complaining about the rooms should look elsewhere, this place is not all about the rooms. If you are more concerned about the rooms, then you are completely missing what is so alluring about this place. I go precisely because there are no phones, no cell service, no tv's etc..I have literally stayed in every cabin and apartment they have, I have never stayed in the "hotel", because frankly, thats what I want to get away from. Now, over the years I have learned that there are better times to go there than others, they do host things like motorcycle rallies, and events such as that, so if you want quiet, you have to plan a time that there is nothing going on. The trip to Taos is short and is a gorgeous drive as well..

Dont let a bad review discourage you from visiting. LOVE this place!

Room Tip: Cabins are the best, Apartment #9 is cool too.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Jeff V
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We visited Sipapu last March and had a great time. Most of our family members had never been skiing and we enjoyed the low-key atmosphere and uncrowded slopes. A good portion of the slopes depend on man-made snow in March, so the last two days we were there, the sun was out and melted the snow a little causing it to become more packed than powdery. Our son signed up for group snowboarding lessons and really liked it. The second day, he was the only participant so he basically received a private half-day lesson! We stayed offsite so I cannot review their lodging facilities. I completely agree with other reviewers in that if you are pretentious about your skiing environment, then this is not the place for you. It is small, quaint and an overall nice place to visit.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank moore_traveling
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Very good location for ski. This resort is just front of ski area. But, condition of rooms was not very good. Some of rooms have a kitchen, so if you want to cook some, ask them for a suit.

Room Tip: Rooms on 3rd floor of the lodge are the closest from ski area but the worst condition.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Sipapu was a great find for us. Has everything we needed. Grounds kept very clean, lodge well equiped. Stayed in hotel room. Two comfortable queen beds, oversized bathroom. Good for disabled. Looking forward to staying in one of the cabins or apts. Will be booking often now that we have found this quite, beautiful place.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family