“We Love Sipapu!”

Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“We Love Sipapu!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

We decided to give Sipapu a try as a family after my son took a day trip to here with his Boy Scout Troop. It is small, quaint, friendly and perfect for a family on a budget. All three of my kids have learned to ski here and we think the instructors are great. We have stayed in the hotel, apartments, suites, cabins, and mobile home and have enjoyed them all, but you have to have the right attitude and expectations. All of the accommodations are older and some are original to Sipapu when it was built in the 1950's, so don't come expecting anything fancy, rustic would be more the word. We have never had a problem with any of the lodging not being clean.

As far as affordability goes they offer so many discounts and special that you can practically ski for free. Rental equipment is very reasonably priced and the staff is very helpful. When we take a day trip we pack a picnic lunch and enjoy it on a slope-side picnic table or grab a table in the lodge if we need to warm up. There is also a restaurant onsite, but we always bring our own food. When we stay overnight we like to book lodging with a kitchen so we can cook to help keep food costs down. Make sure you check out their website to find out what deals or discounts you might be eligible for. Active duty military can ski for free, as well as 40 year olds, 70 and up, 4th graders, and 6 and under.

As far as skiing goes, it is great, but like anywhere else it all depends on the weather. They have as much or as little snow as any of the other ski resorts around. We were there just this weekend when we woke up for 9 inches of new snow! There is a great variety of trails and everyone is my family is satisfied.

This ski season we are making weekly trips from Albuquerque passing up two other ski areas on the way (Sandia and Santa Fe) but even with the drive Sipapu is so much more affordable that we will not consider going anywhere else.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Michelle_Summers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Lubbock, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

I absolutely love this place, and always have. I have been going since I was a kid in the early 70's. back then we went pretty much every year, late summer to go trout fishing. Although I do not go every year anymore as an adult, I have been back several times in the last 10 years, usually to fish for a week with my Dad, 2 older brothers, and my brother in law, and i am planning a trip with my own family this summer. I cannot speak to how this place is in the winter, as I have never been during the winter. I have never ever had a bad time here, it has always been extremely quiet, simplistic, and enjoyable. Everyone complaining about the rooms should look elsewhere, this place is not all about the rooms. If you are more concerned about the rooms, then you are completely missing what is so alluring about this place. I go precisely because there are no phones, no cell service, no tv's etc..I have literally stayed in every cabin and apartment they have, I have never stayed in the "hotel", because frankly, thats what I want to get away from. Now, over the years I have learned that there are better times to go there than others, they do host things like motorcycle rallies, and events such as that, so if you want quiet, you have to plan a time that there is nothing going on. The trip to Taos is short and is a gorgeous drive as well..

Dont let a bad review discourage you from visiting. LOVE this place!

Room Tip: Cabins are the best, Apartment #9 is cool too.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Jeff V
Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

We visited Sipapu last March and had a great time. Most of our family members had never been skiing and we enjoyed the low-key atmosphere and uncrowded slopes. A good portion of the slopes depend on man-made snow in March, so the last two days we were there, the sun was out and melted the snow a little causing it to become more packed than powdery. Our son signed up for group snowboarding lessons and really liked it. The second day, he was the only participant so he basically received a private half-day lesson! We stayed offsite so I cannot review their lodging facilities. I completely agree with other reviewers in that if you are pretentious about your skiing environment, then this is not the place for you. It is small, quaint and an overall nice place to visit.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank moore_traveling
Lubbock, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

Very good location for ski. This resort is just front of ski area. But, condition of rooms was not very good. Some of rooms have a kitchen, so if you want to cook some, ask them for a suit.

Room Tip: Rooms on 3rd floor of the lodge are the closest from ski area but the worst condition.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Slaton, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

Sipapu was a great find for us. Has everything we needed. Grounds kept very clean, lodge well equiped. Stayed in hotel room. Two comfortable queen beds, oversized bathroom. Good for disabled. Looking forward to staying in one of the cabins or apts. Will be booking often now that we have found this quite, beautiful place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jrdhowell
Livingston, West Lothian, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2011

Stayed in Cabin no 1 for 2 nights which is in front of the Trout pond near the camp ground. Was very surprised about the quality of the room considering the low cost. Nice comfortable queen side bed, sitting room which could also double up as another 2 beds for kids, dining table and 4 chairs. Small but well equipped kitchen with full cooker, microwave, toaster, fridge, coffee maker and utensils.
Shower room had a wonderfully powerful shower and loads of clean towels, even found more clean towels in the drawers. As there is no maid service during your stay, you can exchange your towels for clean ones at the lodge.
Came for Skiing but as it was towards the end of the season, the slopes weren't that great. Wished I had come earlier in the season. Prices for Skiing are fantastic, only $25 for spring skiing lift pass, also if you haven't skied before, they give free lessons for the price of a full price lift ticket of £39, I'm sure there is no where else that provides this service.
Restaurant in the main lodge was great, had the Green Chilli stew for lunch one day which is just perfect for a day skiing. Dinner at night was fantastic, with great portions at reasonable prices, asked for shrimp even though it wasn't on the menu and was given 1lb of shrimp with various dipping sauces for about $12, could hardly buy it in a supermarket for that price.
All the staff were very friendly.
Looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mcarnegie
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2011

My buddies and I checked out a duplex for the weekend. It was clean and spacious enough for our group of 8, even though they suggest 4-6. We had plenty of towels available. Firewood was immediately available right outside our door. Quiet at night. The slopes were fun for our group of beginner/intermediate snowboarders. The bar/cafe during the evening was relaxing. Staff was great. We accidentally broke a window and they told us not to worry about it. Thanks again guys!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank rgj7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vadito
Sagebrush Inn & Suites
El Monte Sagrado
El Monte Sagrado
#3 of 15 in Taos
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,118 reviews

Been to Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort? Share your experiences!