We decided to give Sipapu a try as a family after my son took a day trip to here with his Boy Scout Troop. It is small, quaint, friendly and perfect for a family on a budget. All three of my kids have learned to ski here and we think the instructors are great. We have stayed in the hotel, apartments, suites, cabins, and mobile home and have enjoyed them all, but you have to have the right attitude and expectations. All of the accommodations are older and some are original to Sipapu when it was built in the 1950's, so don't come expecting anything fancy, rustic would be more the word. We have never had a problem with any of the lodging not being clean.
As far as affordability goes they offer so many discounts and special that you can practically ski for free. Rental equipment is very reasonably priced and the staff is very helpful. When we take a day trip we pack a picnic lunch and enjoy it on a slope-side picnic table or grab a table in the lodge if we need to warm up. There is also a restaurant onsite, but we always bring our own food. When we stay overnight we like to book lodging with a kitchen so we can cook to help keep food costs down. Make sure you check out their website to find out what deals or discounts you might be eligible for. Active duty military can ski for free, as well as 40 year olds, 70 and up, 4th graders, and 6 and under.
As far as skiing goes, it is great, but like anywhere else it all depends on the weather. They have as much or as little snow as any of the other ski resorts around. We were there just this weekend when we woke up for 9 inches of new snow! There is a great variety of trails and everyone is my family is satisfied.
This ski season we are making weekly trips from Albuquerque passing up two other ski areas on the way (Sandia and Santa Fe) but even with the drive Sipapu is so much more affordable that we will not consider going anywhere else.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located 20 miles southeast of Taos and 2 hours north of Albuquerque, Sipapu Ski and Summer Resort offers over 40 accommodations, including suites, cabins, historic lodge rooms, RV sites and more. All of the slopeside rooms are located steps from Sipapu's main chair lift, and most include kitchens and fireplaces. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sipapu Ski And Summer Resort
- Sipapu Ski & Summer Hotel Vadito