“You get what you pay for” 2 of 5 stars

Tucumari Inn
Tucumari Inn
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Tucumcari
Purcell, OK
“You get what you pay for”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

We thought we were going to tent, but decided instead to opt for a hotel.

The positive:
My wife and I got a hotel room for less than $30. Check in was quick.

The rest of the story...
Clerk would not accept my credit card - said their credit card machine was not working. Room smelled poorly. Bed was rock hard - and this comes from someone who backpacks and sleeps on the ground a lot. Pillows were flat. Bottom sheet on bed was not fitted, and after a night of rolling around on a hard bed, was completely untucked leaving us sleeping on the mattress. Heat/AC unit was very loud. Light in the bathroom only flickered and never would come completely on. Didn't try shower or bathtub.

However, I was most intrigued by the bathroom fixtures. I've never seen a purple toilet or bathtub before. And the use of a white toilet seat on the purple toilet is a style that I'm sure will catch on. I've noted it here so that after Martha Stewart steals the idea, we'll all know where it came from.

Overall, next time I'm in Tucumcari, I'll pay a little more somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LarAndGin

Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

(To put the review in context) Tonight I was looking for the $15 motel I had seen in Tucumcari in the past, but things have changed in the last six months. There were no (open) motels for under $20, there used to be at least three. A couple of the motels no longer had prices posted and look like they have gone to ‘monthly rates.’ Four other motels have closed since my last trip through so there is less competition. I did see three other motels for less than the $25 I paid here.

The room was clean, the water was hot, the room was warm ... that's all I need. Plus FREE WiFi. And a block from the Rockin' Y's Roadhouse (food).

The room is basic, no frills so I was trying to think of what to post and started comparing it to other resent motels.

WiFi - The night before I stayed here, I paid $50 for a room and their WiFi didn't work most of the time. The night after I stayed here I paid $35 and they wanted another $5 to connect to their WiFi
Hot Water - I recently paid $70 for a room where it took 15 minutes to get hot water.
Heat - I've paid $50 for motels where either the heat was either on/off (no controls) or the gap around the door was so big the heater couldn't keep up

... so yes, this is a great motel ... for the price. (After I checked in, I remembered I've stayed here before)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Jim-OnTheWayHome
Tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

I stayed here for three nights. I thought what I got was fair for the price. The rooms was clean, not pristine in there where scratches in the paint and on the toilet seat that could make it look dirty, but no dirt. The a/c worked fine, the room was decent size and had HBO. The gentleman at the desk was very friendly and helpful. If you are just looking for a place to stay this is it. If you want a splurge or romantic weekend you are probably better off with one of the chains. I was completely satisfied.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank azkellyk
kansas city, mo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

the price should have been a clue. i think it was $30 for 2 people c/ a coupon. it look like the room hadn't be cleaned before our visit. a few odd bugs in room. no toilet paper, when i went to the front desk the male clerk acted like i interrupted his evening. the bathtub would drain when i tried to take a shower. would have been better off camping

avoid
At all Costs!!!!!

• Stayed June 2008
1 Thank alex197630

Travelers are raving about these Tucumcari hotels

High Desert
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

The new owner is very rude. Key to room would not work (regular key, not a key card) I could not easily check out room condition, directly, that another member of our travelling party found.

At dinner, another member of our travelling party told me, that:

Dust puffs up in a cloud when walking on carpet.
Hole in walls.
No air conditioning (or cooling)
No water in pool (May in Tucumcari is not winter.)
He described the room as filthy.
He described the owner as nasty and rude.
The member did not stay.

I refused to stay and the owner refused to cancel my credit card charge.

This owner needs to either completely rework his business model or get out of the business.

I Absolutely Don't Recommend Any Consideration Of Staying At The Tucumcari Inn Under The Present Ownership!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Rude owner, filthy facility
  • Stayed May 2008
1 Thank SoundOfFreedom9
Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2007

I just read the other review from July 2007 and would have to agree - to some extent. The front sign said "American owned", but there was a language barrier we definitely had a great deal of difficulty with. The room we found to be fairly clean, non-smelly, beds so-so comfy, shower worked good, not to noisy and no bugs to be found, and the pool was found in decent condition. And after some difficulty communicating with the front desk, we were able to use the internet that was advertised on the front sign. We did not take part in the breakfast that was advertised - when I turned in the key at 9AM all the containers in the lobby were empty. Definitely not worth what we paid - the sign said $26.95 when we pulled in and we were charged much more when we booked online. Front desk explanation was that the $26.95 was for a single person/single bed. Would not recommend if staying for more than12 hours.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — price
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank WIMANDS
lewisville, texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2007

This motel is under new (non-American) ownership. The experience is far from what previous travelers have had now that the property has changed hands. I'll keep this short and sweet, I booked two rooms, both non-smoking smelled strongly of smoke, sheets did not appear changed, bugs on the ceiling, dirty bathroom, dirty, dusty, smelly A/C, bathroom window would not latch, shower/bathtub would not drain, when asked for a room that didn't smell like smoke we were given a bottle of spray, continental breakfast consisted of a piece of toast and a small cup of orange juice doled out by the attendant/owner?. I could probably go on. Hope to save future travelers from visiting this property.

• Stayed July 2007
    • 1 of 5 stars
      Business service (e.g., internet access)