“A jewel of a find.....”
Review of Blue Swallow Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucumcari
Blue Swallow Motel
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Tucumcari
Reviewed June 1, 2012

After a disappointing stay at the disintigrating Powwow, my sis and I, traveling under not-so pleasant circumstances, opted for a cheerier change of venue. At the insistence of all the other glowing reviews, we drove down route 66 to the Blue Swallow-know for it's neon.Wow! Such individualized, friendly service-I have only experienced but a handul of times...Our official greeters were 2 gorgeous golden (red) retrievers-that's when we knew that this was the place! Kevin, the proprietor, emerged from a Disney Cars- muraled garage,screwdriver (the tool, not the drink!) in hand and proceeded to give us a tour. We are now sitting out front of our adorable room in a 50s lawn chair with wine in hand.When Kevin espied my sis drinking her sauv blanc out of a plastic motel cup, he was aghast and quickly brought her a stem from his own collection. Kevin is a veritable 1 -man, Tucumcari Chamber of Commerce-forthcoming with all the in's and outs and local lore.
The lobby is peppered with plenty of Rt. 66 curios and instead of the usual swill that most places serve as coffee-they offer PG tips-in honor of all the overseas travelers among y'all.The rooms small but cozy with a pink rotary phone and tiled shower were evocative of the great American motoring era. The beds with vintage chenille bedspreads and to- die- for soft sheets, made for a much needed restful slumber for these road weary sibs. As the neon lights flickered over our faces, we toasted (with our New Mexico Gruet wine) the history that is NM Rt. 66........Sonja and Julie

1  Thank Cherrygirl69
There are newer reviews for Blue Swallow Motel

Reviewed June 1, 2012

I have stayed here twice with my dog, Star, and this time with my husband. Each time, I've seen more improvements that Kevin and Nancy have made........they do most of the work themselves including the housekeeping. We enjoyed sitting outside in the evening in the "old" furniture and visiting with other guests about the history of the Blue Swallow and Tucumcari. Also, there was a lot of discussion about old cars, including the ones belonging to Nancy and Kevin. The beds were comfortable and the room quiet. After spending time in a "cookie cutter" hotel in a big city, this stay was delightful. Thanks so much for the convertible ride, as well. We hope to be back in August, if not sooner.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
krmtrains1, Owner at Blue Swallow Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

Always a pleasure, and wonderful to meet JB, who must have been the model for the new murals at the Pow-Wow!

Reviewed May 30, 2012

I wish I could stay at the Blue Swallow Motel in every city I visited over the past month! I have stayed in hostels, hotels, motels and friend's houses and the bed at the Blue Swallow was the most comfortable I have slept on. I had the most peaceful, restful sleep here. You will be part of a little community of guests and the innkeepers when you stay at Blue Swallow. They will welcome you, know you, and take care of you. They turned on the heat for me, because I always run a little cold. Nancy filled my water bottle for me with their filtered water. Anything you need, they go out of their way to help. You will get to take amazing photographs here. In the morning, they make coffee and tea for their guests in the lobby. They are amazing innkeepers and motels, BnBs and hotels across the country could learn a great deal from them. Would love to go back soon!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo

We were so glad to have the two of you choose us for part of your family stay in Tucumcari. Thanks so much for the kind words, and hope to have you back again.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

We drove Route 66 westbound and made sure to include the Blue Swallow Motel as part of the route 66 experience.

What a find!! Here is a motel that has stayed true to the ideals of small town America and what it means to stay in a motel from another era when route 66 was in its hey day.
The motel is an authentic reminder of what motels along the famed route 66 would have been like.
The owners : Kevin and Nancy were very welcoming to us and suggested things to do in the town of Tucumcari (where the Blue Swallow is located) plus location of supermarket and restaurants. Their two beautiful dogs were friendly and it was a pleasure to stay there.
Our room had two double beds and the period furnishings set the whole experience of a motel in the route 66 glory days. I loved the old black and white TV inside its cabinet with the current TV on top.
The room was a decent size and had very comfortable beds.
The bathroom fixtures and fittings were great, and the black and white tiles were a great contrast.
The shower was wonderful with excellent water pressure.
Our particular room, #14, had an attached garage (as most rooms appear to have) and also have a motoring inspired mural on the wall. Outside the room was outdoor furniture and it was a feature we enjoyed to just sit, relax and take in the atmosphere of the motel.
Kevin has a collection of classic American cars around the motel. The Pontiac Bonneville coupe convertible was exceptional along with the classic AMC Pacer 2 door.
It is certainly a sight to see Pontiacs, the Pacer parked around the motel and other classic cars that are travelling route 66 visit and stay overnight at the Blue Swallow.

The motel has wonderful neon and the original fountain has warm red glow at night. There is a gift shop within the lobby of the motel and it sells items like T-shirts and mugs etc..
I would definitely return to the Blue Swallow and recommend to other travellers to stay there.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 26, 2012

This is a wonderful nights stay! The rooms are clean, the beds (sheets get 5 stars) comfortable, owners are friendly, and you get the experience of road tripping from the past. Before we checked in, Nancy gave us a tour of the room and a little historical information about the motel. Sitting in the courtyard meeting folks under the warm glow of the neon lights was a great way to decompress after 10 hours on the road. They advertise "refrigerated air" and let me tell you we had no issues with room temperature. I would encourage a stop if you are traveling through this area...step back in time, take a picture and support Route 66 businesses with a purchase or donation.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I have had the opportunity to stay at the Blue Swallow before and look forward to staying there again in August on my way to Sturgis. This is a time machine where you step back into a 1940's Motor Court. You have to understand that this is the intent and charm of this facility. This is how one traveled back in that era. This will appeal to one particularly if one is a history buff as the Blue Swallow is located on Route 66, Owners Kevin and Nancy are concerned about meeting the needs of their guests and go out of their way to accomodate them. Boomer and Bessie (Motel dogs) are very friendly and on constant patrol seeking to allow guests to pet them ! Low key, friendly, and relaxing. Great for motorcycle travelers.

Room Tip: If you are traveling by motorcycle some rooms have a garage, very handy in inclement weather.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 24, 2012

When booking our trip to Tucumcari for my brother's graduation, we were quite unsure as to what to expect. First of all, the customer service at the Blue Swallow was outstanding. The owners are personable and accommodating, prompt at returning phone calls, and interested in making sure that our needs were met.

My family of 6 (4 children) stayed in the "Family Suite." We thought it was fantastic as we did not have direct neighbors to disturb and plenty of space for all 6 of us to enjoy our surroundings. The kids LOVED having their own room adjoined to ours by a tiny hallway. We also loved the little extra "kitchen" in our suite--the tiny vintage oven/stove range was a hit with the kids as well! The beds were comfortable and we were extremely pleased with the number of pillows throughout! The rooms were small--but they were not smaller than we expected given its vintage status.

As a side note, I LOVED the lotion/shampoo/etc. that was in the rooms. So much nicer than even some of the fancy hotels here in Dallas!

We will definitely stay at the Blue Swallow again if our path takes us to Tucumcari. We could not have enjoyed the ambiance more; the resident dogs, the fantastic coffee (in fantastic mugs), and the sincerity and kindness of the owners truly stand out in our minds. Next time, however, we will take them up on their offer of a fire in the pit and s'mores with the kids!