“Don't pass this one by ...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Swallow Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucumcari
Blue Swallow Motel
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Tucumcari
Alexandria, Minnesota
“Don't pass this one by ...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

Do yourself a favor and don't pass through Tucumcari without staying at this nifty motel on Historic Route 66. My husband, father-in-law and I stayed there recently and we'll never forget it. Kevin and Nancy could not possibly be more hospitable. They have a true passion for this place and the industry in general. We didn't even care what else there was to do in Tucumcari (although I'm sure there is plenty to do and Kevin and Nancy were great about filling us in on what to see and where to dine). It was just so nice to sit outside our room in the comfy chairs in the shade and watch the world go by. You will be transported back to another, simpler time - but with all the comforts by today's standards. The rooms are fantastic and very, very charming. Thanks, Kevin and Nancy for a wonderful experience.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
Vicksburg, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

At the last minute before we left on our Route 66 trip, we reserved the Family Unit (has two bedrooms, sleeps five) for the third night of our Mother Road experience. We were absolutely delighted with this historic motel. We arrived after dark and the neon sign was a much looked for icon. The hostess took my husband to check out the room while I began to immediately take pictures. I felt like I had stepped back in time, so appropriate for a Route 66 Road Trip. Our son and his two daughters were as excited about our stay as we were. Loved the lamps and door knobs and pictures, all from an earlier era, as well as Time and Life magazines from the 40's and 50's...and the pink stove! It looked brand new. Our granddaughters had never seen or used a rotary phone before. The next morning we were up and out taking pictures of the old cars, the murals (even a mural in two of the garages from the "Cars" movie), everything about this motel was a reminder of yesteryear. I'm a child of the 50's, and it all spoke to my heart. The host and hostess were extremely friendly, as though we had been long time friends. Nice gift shop...we had to get our hats and T-shirts from the Blue Swallow. Did I mention the chenille bedspreads with blue swallows on them? Everything clean, neat, special. I highly recommend this motel, and the town of Tucumcari as an excellent place to stop and stay a while!!

Room Tip: This is a popular motel. Call and reserve early. After we reserved our room, they got several more...
Sherman Oaks, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

We didn't expect to find something as special as the Blue Swallow Motel on our trip across west. Kevin and Nancy have a real passion for preserving the history of the motel while keeping creature comforts up to date. From the moment we arrived, Kevin took the time to show us the antiques in our room -- there was even a National Geographic from '49! -- and give us the tread count of our linens. It is such a pleasure to stay a place where the caretakers find joy and making you feel at home. If you are on 66 to experience the vintage of the 50s but don't want to sacrifice comfort, this is a must for you. At least come in for a cup of coffee with this lovely couple!

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2012 via mobile

My sisters and I stayed in the Lillian Redman suite on the first leg of our New Mexico Sisterfest road trip. The Blue Swallow provided the perfect beginning with its local flavor, history and friendly service. The neon, the vintage car and the kitschy furnishings give you a real feel of the Route 66 motel experience of yesteryear. I highly recommend an overnight stop. If you can't manage that, at least stop for a look and to check out the clever gift shop.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank MichelleMe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

All was as promised: clean cozy room. Welcoming host showed us to our very quiet corner in Room 5.Only objection was a heavy "air freshener" scent.

Room Tip: Book early as the Blue Swallow typically sells out each night.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
krmtrains1, Owner at Blue Swallow Motel, responded to this review, April 1, 2012
Thanks for staying with us, and glad you enjoyed it! Just wanted to say that we do not use any air fresheners at the Blue Swallow, but the cleaning products we use do leave a scent behind. We are sorry that you found that scent objectionable. We try to always leave the rooms simply smelling clean and fresh, but I guess we missed that mark this time. Thanks again for your feedback, Kevin.
Scottsdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

I've enjoyed the Blue Swallow, along with Kevin and Nancy's hospitality, twice before. Last week I decided to bring along Mom and wife for my third visit. I wasn't sure they would share my love for historic Route 66 and this iconic motel. They LOVED it! So much, we booked it for our return trip. Great to see Kevin and Nancy continue to make improvements, while maintaining the original character. Beds are very comfortable, rooms are clean, Wi-Fi worked great, and service is outstanding. Kevin and Nancy are wonderful hosts.

I highly recommend. I can't wait for my next, and fifth, visit!

1 Thank 06MellowYellow
Thanks, Mark! It's a pleasure every time, and so glad your family has enjoyed it as much as you have! Until next time, Happy Trails!
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Very nice people here - never encountered hoteliers that cared this much about their guest's experience. I would stay here again! The Easy Rider mural in my garage was simply the icing on the cake.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo