“A charming trip back in time”
Review of Blue Swallow Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucumcari
Blue Swallow Motel
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Tucumcari
San Francisco, California
“A charming trip back in time”
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Enjoyed our brief stay during a quick cross-country drive. The staff was friendly and helpful. We appreciated the recommendation for the Kix on 66 restaurant for breakfast--good stuff!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed December 11, 2011

When we found this motel on tripadvisor.com we hit gold !!
The owners welcomed us as if we were old time friends. The room was squeaky clean and the bed was from heaven with high end mattress and sheets. In fact we are going to order the same mattress set for our personal bed when we get home. If you need a good nights sleep while traveling this is the place to visit. I personally loved it because of the preserved nostalgia of the motel itself. They have cleaned it up without taking any of the old charm away, even down to the rotary phone !! An added bonus was the garage available !!
We visited two times , once on the way and once on the way back from Kansas. We will visit again anytime we go through that area and tell all of our friends to so the same..
Thank you Kevin and Nancy for a job well done,
Harold and Priscilla

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank zanpris
San Luis Obispo County, California
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I'm a little late on this, but I stayed at The Blue Swallow back in August 2011 while on a Route 66 road trip with my Dad. This was, by far, the BEST stay of the entire trip, immediately starting with the friendly and accommodating hosts! Kevin and Nancy were wonderful, and even took the time to show us the room (complete with personal garage) before we paid (a service which my Dad really appreciated the courtesy and nostalgia of:) The room was immaculately clean and "period perfect!" It was like stepping into a time machine! The bed was also the most comfortable night's rest I had the whole trip. The neon sign also provides excellent pictures! Kevin and Nancy recommended a very tasty Mexican restaurant right up the street for dinner, where we later ran into them having their own dinner and they even invited us to sit with them! We shared a great meal with them and they are great people. Kevin even went out of his way to grab me a bottle of water back at the motel after the office had officially closed for the night. Morning coffee while sitting on the glider (each room gets one) was a perfect end to our perfect stay. The Blue Swallow goes above and beyond in terms of service and ambiance and is the absolute best motel off Route 66!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Mcdonough
Reviewed December 8, 2011

If you are looking for an authentic Route 66 experience the Blue Swallow is the place to stay! We have stayed in room 5 twice in the last month and loved it! The mattress and bedding are all new and high quality. Despite the cold temperatures outside, the room was toasty warm. It is like stepping into a time warp to walk into your room with mid century decor--love the phone! Kevin and Nancy are so welcoming and helpful. My husband and I will definitely stop again next time we are in Tucumcari!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Plano, Texas
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Against all odds the Blue Swallow continues to serve up an authentic mid century travel experience: the tick tick tick of the gas fired heater, the original plumbing fixtures, the 1939 phones admonishing one and all to travel by long distance, and the little garages for each car; it's all here.

I have been a guest here in 2002, 2006, 2009, 2010 and finally, November 2011. I can honestly say the place has never looked better. Kevin and Nancy Mueller recently took ownership and their love and enthusiasm for the iconic motel are obvious. They are in the process of returning the Blue Swallow to its 1947-2007 appearance; restoring the neon, restoring original colors, and generally working hard to make the experience of staying here even more enjoyable. The rooms are tidy, the beds comfortable, the shower serves up copious HOT water....and you can easily walk to Kix 66 Diner for some of the best road food in the state!

The glow of the most famous neon on the Mother Road beckons: book that room now!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank TLA_50kwgiant
Macomb, Michigan
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I stayed back in July, and was driven by the reviews on here. I agree with the ones I remember. I would stay again and again! The new (at the time) management was so sweet and amazing! I give them extra kudos (and a sixth dot if I could!) for being military friendly too! I was on my way home from my military assignment in Fort Huachuca, on a per diem basis for the whole 2500 mile trip and anyone that's ever had to travel on a military budget knows it can be a problem when you hit some areas! I will add some pictures I took during my stay and you can see how nice the rooms are! I'm not sure what those people were saying a bit back about run down, dirty rooms. They're crazy, I'm sure! The couple that run this take such good care! The dog's so fun too! Let me tell you, if you're going through here, take my word on this...I don't rant and rave about many places, but I didn't go wrong with this place! Stop here, take a load off! The owners also make great food suggestions too as far as places to eat :) We were STUFFED at the place we went to. I remember there was a lizard or something...Lizard Lounge maybe? I don't recall...I just remember all the food, omg...

Anyway, STAY HERE!!! Two thumbs up :) The little garages with the murals are a fantastic touch :) Just note, larger vehicles can't fit in them! But that's okay, they're fantastic to look at! Each has a different mural :)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
krmtrains1, Owner at Blue Swallow Motel, responded to this review, December 10, 2011
Thank you, and we look forward to your next visit!
Rayleigh
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Very friendly and welcoming hosts, motel has not been changed structurally since it was built and the current owners are in the process of repainting in the colours it would have been. Fantastic neon sign outside, rooms small but clean and cozy. We loved it and definitely recommend. Comes with free coffee in morning, wifi and a garage for your car! If your car won't fit there is still plenty of room on the gravel driveway. Definitely choose this place!

• Stayed November 2011