New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Tucumcari
Florida
“Above average”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

My family and I stayed here last week after a long drive from Flagstaff. This place is clean and very affordable. I can tell you that we walked in and got two rooms for $61.00 per room, which is hard to come by on the interstate. The check-in was easy and quick, check-out was just as easy and quick. The rooms were nice, small, but nice. This is the old Microtel, you can tell by the old signs that can still be found on some of the doors. The staff was friendly and helpful, answered some travel questions we had, plus advised us to drive towards town and visit the section of Route 66 that cuts through. A nice short drive; some of the old gas stations, signs and hotels are still intact, a view besides interstate! I would recommend this place if you don't mind small rooms and you enjoy small rates!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jacky E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Waterford, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

Not to be confused with the more famous Desert Inn, this Hotel made the grade and then some when it comes to Hospitality. Modern, Clean, Comfortable and, most importantly, Affordable are all words I can apply to this Desert Inn. A mechanical breakdown on I-40 left me stranded between Tucumcari and Albuquerque and fate led me to John's Truck Repair in Tucumcari. The folks at John's recommended this place and said I would be offered their best rate with the "John's Discount". I was assigned a nice room on the second floor right across from the Workout Room. Many excellent restaurant choices nearby and easy access to I-40. The staff made my stay as relaxing and pleasurable as possible considering the circumstances that led me there. I give this Hotel and John's Truck Repair my highest recommendation. Tichiganblues

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Columbia, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014

Traveling through the southwest in January I searched online and found this very reasonably priced hotel, decided to give it a try. The beds are PERFECT! Nice linens, too. I had one of the best night's sleep of my life and woke up feeling perfectly refreshed, after a long day of driving. Staff very friendly, everything clean as a whistle. I have stayed in lots of hotels and motels--and this was wonderful!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at other hotels in the area and paid higher prices.

I guess I should start by saying I know what I want in a hotel room because I and my wife own one that gets great reviews on trip advisor.

As I stated before I had stayed in other hotels in the area and have paid over $100 a night. I didn't know what to expect when driving up because it looked nice. I was surprised that it was only 70.00.

When we got to our room it was very clean, the beds were comfy. Big screen TV mounted to the wall. As others have said two bottles of water were on the desk. For those who say the room was small, I can only speak of the room with 2 Queen size beds. It was very big and the bathroom was good size also.

Have not tried the breakfast yet so I can't comment on that.

The owners are doing a great job here and I hope they keep doing what they are doing.

One last thing Al who checked me in was very pleasant and made me feel at home.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Steve S
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a night during our cross country motorcycle trip and the staff was very nice and helpful. The room was very modern and super comfy. I particularly like the window bench seat. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

On our way from missouri to arizona we stopped off at this hotel for the night. The hotel staff was helpful. The pool was indoors and clean. It was relaxing to chill in the pool after a long drive. Our room was clean and comfortable. The price was good for the area. Would stay again if we are coming through.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Tustin, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

Like most travelers we didn’t come specifically to Tucumcari, but were passing through on historic Route 66. I will give a fair and balanced review, because unlike some who think this is a “gem” and others who rate this as a trash heap, the truth is actually someplace in the middle.

First of all, the place was easy to find, right off the highway and well signed. It sits right near many restaurants and gas stations so eating isn’t a problem. We chose Pizza Hut right next door which was simple and quick, as expected. Al checked us in and seemed cheerful and expecting us. My first impression of the hotel was that is was very clean and comfortable and looks as if it was a “branded” hotel earlier and had been converted to a private ownership. The neighborhood doesn’t seem to be the best, but again, this is Tucumcari, New Mexico. Check-in was quick and easy and we soon found our way to our second floor queen room. It too appeared very clean and although it was stuffy when we first arrived, after few minutes with the air conditioner running made us comfortable.

The room was cozy but still had a place to hang clothes, a large mini-fridge and a microwave. There were also two bottles of water on the counter for us! Thank you! We would have preferred the water to be in the fridge and cold but understand that you can’t leave the fridge running in every room. It took us a few minutes to realize it was off before we plugged it and the microwave in. The bathroom was also clean. The only complaint I have about the entire room was that the shower/tub faucet was broken and it took a while to figure out which side was hot and which was cold.

We immediately tried the Wifi. The hotel has 3 different available servers and I was guaranteed that we would have a great signal from our room. The connection however kept resetting and it was nearly impossible to stay connected for more than 10 minutes at a time – from any of them. One you would finally get one of the servers to show up in your settings and use the password supplied, you had about 10 minutes to work before the server would disappear again. Al again tried to reset the servers, but we still ran into the same problems our entire stay. If you need reliable internet – which we did – this is not the place for you!

We were impressed on our way to the room that they had a nice looking fitness center with most of the machines we use at home. As we entered the room, automatic motion lights lit up the entire room. It was stifling hot however, so I turned on the air conditioner and started my workout. After about 5 minutes I realized that it was just getting hotter in the room. I called down to the front desk and told them it was not blowing cold air. I was told that the air conditioner was probably broken, but I could open the window if I wanted…it was 99 degrees outside! The treadmill also squeaks unbelievably loud so I cut that workout short as well.

The pool was very enjoyable. There are towels provided and the hot tub was actually hot! Both the pool and the hot tub also appeared to be clean. My one complaint is that the pool doesn’t open until 1 p.m. so if you are intent on a morning swim before hitting the road, you’d better change your plans!

On our way out in the morning we were greeted cheerfully by the front desk clerk. She took our room keys (never got up from her chair) and said "thank you" but never asked how our stay was or if we had any problems. We also gave the hot breakfast a try. There is the typical waffle maker along with apples and oranges. There is also cereal, biscuits and gravy, danish and even a spicy hot jalapeño type pepper sauce. I am personally on a very strict low carb, high-protein diet and was anticipating scrambled eggs and some form of meat (like sausage or bacon) but the only thing there was hot hardboiled eggs. We also had to wait in line for a simple cup of coffee and ultimately decided to get ours at the gas station down the street.

For the area, this is actually a good place to stay. Don’t anticipate too many amenities, just plan on spending the night and this will be a good place to do just that!

Room Tip: Getting a room more near to the middle of the hotel may put you between all 3 routers, increasing yo...