New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Desert Inn
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in Tucumcari
“Great room for price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a night during our cross country motorcycle trip and the staff was very nice and helpful. The room was very modern and super comfy. I particularly like the window bench seat. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

On our way from missouri to arizona we stopped off at this hotel for the night. The hotel staff was helpful. The pool was indoors and clean. It was relaxing to chill in the pool after a long drive. Our room was clean and comfortable. The price was good for the area. Would stay again if we are coming through.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Tustin, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Like most travelers we didn’t come specifically to Tucumcari, but were passing through on historic Route 66. I will give a fair and balanced review, because unlike some who think this is a “gem” and others who rate this as a trash heap, the truth is actually someplace in the middle.

First of all, the place was easy to find, right off the highway and well signed. It sits right near many restaurants and gas stations so eating isn’t a problem. We chose Pizza Hut right next door which was simple and quick, as expected. Al checked us in and seemed cheerful and expecting us. My first impression of the hotel was that is was very clean and comfortable and looks as if it was a “branded” hotel earlier and had been converted to a private ownership. The neighborhood doesn’t seem to be the best, but again, this is Tucumcari, New Mexico. Check-in was quick and easy and we soon found our way to our second floor queen room. It too appeared very clean and although it was stuffy when we first arrived, after few minutes with the air conditioner running made us comfortable.

The room was cozy but still had a place to hang clothes, a large mini-fridge and a microwave. There were also two bottles of water on the counter for us! Thank you! We would have preferred the water to be in the fridge and cold but understand that you can’t leave the fridge running in every room. It took us a few minutes to realize it was off before we plugged it and the microwave in. The bathroom was also clean. The only complaint I have about the entire room was that the shower/tub faucet was broken and it took a while to figure out which side was hot and which was cold.

We immediately tried the Wifi. The hotel has 3 different available servers and I was guaranteed that we would have a great signal from our room. The connection however kept resetting and it was nearly impossible to stay connected for more than 10 minutes at a time – from any of them. One you would finally get one of the servers to show up in your settings and use the password supplied, you had about 10 minutes to work before the server would disappear again. Al again tried to reset the servers, but we still ran into the same problems our entire stay. If you need reliable internet – which we did – this is not the place for you!

We were impressed on our way to the room that they had a nice looking fitness center with most of the machines we use at home. As we entered the room, automatic motion lights lit up the entire room. It was stifling hot however, so I turned on the air conditioner and started my workout. After about 5 minutes I realized that it was just getting hotter in the room. I called down to the front desk and told them it was not blowing cold air. I was told that the air conditioner was probably broken, but I could open the window if I wanted…it was 99 degrees outside! The treadmill also squeaks unbelievably loud so I cut that workout short as well.

The pool was very enjoyable. There are towels provided and the hot tub was actually hot! Both the pool and the hot tub also appeared to be clean. My one complaint is that the pool doesn’t open until 1 p.m. so if you are intent on a morning swim before hitting the road, you’d better change your plans!

On our way out in the morning we were greeted cheerfully by the front desk clerk. She took our room keys (never got up from her chair) and said "thank you" but never asked how our stay was or if we had any problems. We also gave the hot breakfast a try. There is the typical waffle maker along with apples and oranges. There is also cereal, biscuits and gravy, danish and even a spicy hot jalapeño type pepper sauce. I am personally on a very strict low carb, high-protein diet and was anticipating scrambled eggs and some form of meat (like sausage or bacon) but the only thing there was hot hardboiled eggs. We also had to wait in line for a simple cup of coffee and ultimately decided to get ours at the gas station down the street.

For the area, this is actually a good place to stay. Don’t anticipate too many amenities, just plan on spending the night and this will be a good place to do just that!

Room Tip: Getting a room more near to the middle of the hotel may put you between all 3 routers, increasing yo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Blueump
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

I am skeptical when staying in a "no-name" hotel. However, after reviewing other reviews decided to give it a try. Boy, was I impressed! Rooms clean, updated interiors, flat-screen tv, and very fast wireless. The bathrooms have been completely updated and towels are really good. The breakfast was cereal, biscuits and gravy, New Mexico green chile sauce, and lots of bread items. The only request I would make is to add yogurt and banana to the meal. I eat gluten free and would like to see more proteins and options; however I would need complain for the price!!!

Stayed June 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

After traveling all day this was the perfect place to get a good night sleep. Very clean, comfortable bed, refrigirator, microwave. Standard breakfast
Simple but good. Staff was very helpful and courteous.
Great price for a great nights sleep.

• Stayed June 2014
Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

I've been in the hotel business for nearly 30 years and had HUGE reservations about checking into this "no name" hotel even though I currently work for an independent hotel, I still had my fears.

I am traveling cross country with my beloved Bichon and have never really had to stay at a hotel with him so I was in search of a "pet friendly" hotel.

Well, as I said, I have been in this business a long time and I know how it works. Sure, you take pets so you can get a free listing on all the pet hotel websites but you are going to stick them in a smoking room, probably one of your shabbiest rooms because "pets are worse guests than people, right?"…. quite to the contrary.

This hotel is sparkling clean, beautifully updated, much more so than any franchise hotel I have stayed in or managed for that matter. The clerk was very kind. The check in was very quick, no endless babble just plain old courtesy.

The grounds, the rooms, the hallways, every corner of this hotel that I walked was well beyond my expectations and I would highly recommend it anyone traveling through Tucumcari.

I was so elated with my incredible luck in landing such a great hotel with no prior knowledge of it, that I haven't even slept the night here yet. I was very anxious to get to my computer so I could spread the good news.

I can hardly wait to partake in the FREE breakfast tomorrow. All the usual but I am delighted to know that their breakfast includes "Soft, hot baked biscuits and gravy with New Mexican Garlic Green Chili". I am in heaven.

Room Tip: I am overlooking my vehicle which comforts me immensely since I am moving cross country. There is no...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Theresa R
Seattle, WA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

The lobby was very nice, the room was very clean and customer service was fine. However, the room got some red ink stains in the carpet. The bathroom sink's mixer had a lot of wear and tear to the point the tap was peeled off from it's metal look finish. When asking for a paper to take notes, the receptionist gave me a used printed paper sheet.

The bathroom shower had an old used soap placed right over the top edge corner. It is incredible how maintenance and cleaning did not notice this one.

The refrigerator was TURNED OFF when we got to the room. This can accumulate bacteria inside and thus contaminate any food you place in it.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family