Desert Inn
Motel Safari(Tucumcari)
Pow Wow Inn(Tucumcari)
Value Inn(Tucumcari)
View Hotel
All reviewsindoor pool and hot tubbiscuits and gravygreen chiligreat pricenight clerkwafflesworkout roomthe rooms were nicefridge and microwaveother hotelsdefinitely stay here againwould highly recommend this hotelwell lit parking lotneeded a place to staycomplimentary breakfastsmall roomtwo queens
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My sister was getting married and we came from Michigan for the wedding. We had a family emergency come up while we were there and had to leave the room. The manager in charge could not have been more accomodating. He was always there to provide everything we needed. He made our stay a fun and memorable good time.

Room Tip: We stayed right outside the breakfast area and had no problems with noise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Debrat2_13
Reviewed June 8, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised when we found this hotel! It is newly remodeled and a great value for the accommodations. It was very clean, comfortable beds, a nice pool and hot tub, with breakfast in the morning and a great staff!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank ammash75
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I was on a road trip across the USA and we had stayed in some less than clean rooms the first few days of our trip. It was a relief to find the Desert Inn. It was clean, the staff were great and very accomadating. The breakfast was great and so was the gym. I am happy we stayed there and would def stay there again. I only wish that they had a fridge and microwave in the room, however one of the staff members allowed me to use the staffs microwave one night and that was greatly appreciated. Execellent service!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Blackwolf33
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We rolled into Tucumcari at about 4:30 am. We were coming from Phoenix with a pair of rescue dogs, and just exhausted. We went from hotel to hotel- no luck. Either booked solid or no pets. I was sitting in Mcdonald's parking lot looking at the reviews for this hotel: and groaning, "Oh dear. This is going to suck, but I am so freaking tiiiiiiired."

My partner goes into the Desert Inn and asks about a room and meets the night staffer, Twyla, who gets a million high marks for being insanely awesome and completely wonderful. We know we are the kind of guests lots of hotels take one look at and think, "Oh, crap." because of the dogs, the baby, and the teenager- but she did not. Instead, she was incredibly accommodating
and warmly told us to eat some breakfast and then get some sleep.

We did. Our room was clean, comfortable and so was the rest of the hotel. The only grip I had was no coffee maker in the room. That is it. Under the new ownership, this place is really a very far cry from those other reviews we read. I didn't sleep much, because I'm not the driver and I putter around taking care of the kids and dogs usually- but everyone was extremely friendly and pretty much everywhere I went there was someone cleaning, someone taking care of things and it definitely shows in the property.

The price is great, it's a definite value and between Twyla and AJ Patel- I have absolutely nothing bad to say about our experience. One thing I will tell you and this was...nothing short of awesome. After a full day on the road: the hot water in the bath was amazing. I've stayed at quite a few hotels and usually, the hot water's okay but it does not get hot enough. I always flip it all the way over to hot because I know it's going to be a bit iffy about staying very hot. Nope. Absolutely perfect for aching muscles. Didn't get a chance to indulge in the pool and hot tub- but you can see them as you walk down the hall from my room and it's immaculately clean in there.

We intended to leave late in the evening- but a storm rolled in and AJ kept saying, "Are you sure?" because it looked like it could get hairy and we're heading in the same direction the storm was. We had the room til check out the next day, anyway, so he didn't have any reason apart from just being kind to ask about this. I zonked out, and well, here I am, getting ready to check out while drinking the lobby coffee- which is not bad. They also serve biscuits and gravy, hard boiled eggs and some kind of ...salsa like sauce which I am unsure of the name at present. Me, I'd go with scrambled eggs because of the biscuits and gravy but the food's well tended to and you can also get the usual waffles, toast, cereal and pastries.

So, here are my suggestions and why it's not a full on 5 star- and bear in mind, these are relatively small gripes:

-No coffee in the room
-Needs bacon/sausage at breakfast

Now, given the reviews we read prior to that, those being all I'd complain about?
The new owners have definitely turned the place around and it's worth your money.

Room Tip: Bring a thermos or something so you don't have to trot back and forth to the lobby! LOL
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Holly R
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Hello,

We had stayed in a couple of other hotels recently that were "questionable" so when we got to the Desert Inn in Tucumcari New Mexico - it was a relief! However, the one thing the "questionable" places had that this one did not were fridges and coffee makers in the rooms. The rooms are a little more "spartan" and if you forgot something important - they had the items in a vending machine.

We travel with OJ and a few perishable snacks so the lack of a fridge for the original price...not so good. When my mom was going to leave w/out a room, they negotiated with her - and we got a good rate and I got a good nights sleep! We just "doubled up" on the ice! (something we had done before). So in the end, it was a good deal for us - but just something to think about.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo