“Very Impressive for a small college!”

Mesalands Community College's Dinosaur Museum
Ranked #3 of 17 things to do in Tucumcari
More attraction details
Owner description: The Mesalands Community College's Dinosaur Museum and Natural Sciences Laboratory is located in Tucumcari, New Mexico, on old Route 66. Many of the genuine fossils on display were collected by students enrolled in the College's Paleontology program. Also on display are life-sized bronzes dinosaur sculptures created through the College's Fine Arts Bronze program. We offer a discount on admission for active military.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Very Impressive for a small college!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Very nice place to visit. This is fun for every age not just young kids very informative and fascinating exhibits. We will be back on our next trip to Tucumcari!!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Gcgh

Fort Worth, Texas
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“More sophisticated than I expected”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I got into town with way too much time to kill for a town this size so I went because there weren't alot of options. Almost immediately wanted to leave but didn't want to insult the nice lady at the desk by bailing within 60 seconds. Within 5 minutes I was impressed. Very professional and tasteful. Kids would love the gift shop and the areas they have specifically for them. And I confess...I bought a tiny dino on the way out.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank jackie049
New Mexico
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 131 helpful votes
“Quite a museum for a small collage”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

An interesting museum, the first thing that struck me was that the fossil castings were not made of plaster of Paris or resin, they were cast in bronze by the Mesalands Community College staff. A sample bronze cast is on display at the Glenrio Visitor Information center off westbound I-40 just west of the Texas border.

Visited September 2013
Denton, Texas
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“For dinosaur fans of all ages!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

This was our third visit to Mesalands Dinosaur Museum! The museum is very well-organized and has fascinating exhibits that appeal to visitors of all ages. My favorite exhibit is the dinosaur eggs. My kids love the dinosaur "dig," a "pit" full of crushed walnut shells where they can take their shoes off, get in, and dig for dino bones. On our second visit, my daughter was lucky to meet one of the paleontologists and get a tour of the lab. The lab is also completely visible through large windows from inside the museum, so visitors can view works in progress. There's a gift shop with books, shirts and toys.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank crazypilotgirl
Midlothian, Texas
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“For Dinosaur Lovers Everywhere...it is worth a visit!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We were greeted at the front desk with a smile and a kind "Where are you folks from?" After visiting with the receptionist, we found out that she was one of the college's professors filling in at the cash register for the day. The small but well maintained and organized museum was definitely worth the stop on our drive home from a week's vacation in Taos, New Mexico. Allow at least an hour for your tour through the exhibits. At the end, there was a large gift shop with a variety of souvenirs for anyone...they have dinosaur everything! And all proceeds go towards the college. I highly recommend this stop for children of all ages and adults as well.

Visited July 2013