“Great Place!!”
Review of Motel Safari

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucumcari
Motel Safari
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Tucumcari
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Great Place!!”
Reviewed September 15, 2010

My girfriend and I was travel to Las Vegas to stay a couple of days. We stop in here for one night. After a long motorcycle ride we was wiped out. The bed was awesome. The pillows were so comfortable. We did not want to leave. Best night of sleep the whole trip. If your passing through. Stay Here. Friendly people too.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 15, 2010

We stayed here while traveling Route 66 on my birthday, on the way through to Sante Fe, and I can tell you without a doubt it was our best experience across the entire route! Both of the owners greeted us upon our arrival, and Richard showed us to our room personally, and then gave us tips on dining, the local area attractions and later that evening was kind enough to spend time with us chatting about Route 66. They take a lot of pride in their little motel, and it shows. The rooms were clean, the beds were top of the line, the towels were like something from a nice spa and they even had big flat panel TV's. MUCH cheaper than any of the chains along our trip, at least 1/2 the price, yet in most cases had better amenities and the personal service couldn't be beat! If you're traveling Route 66 or just through Tucumcari - THIS IS THE PLACE TO STAY!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Tucson
Reviewed September 13, 2010

My parents and I decided to meet in the middle for a visit in July. I picked this motel based on the reviews. I leave lots of good reviews when deserved, but hesitate to leave a bad one. The fact that I am still bothered by my experience 2 months later finally prompted me to write this. I spoke to Gail making the reservations and she was wonderful. Unfortunately she was out of town at the time of our visit and I got to deal with her husband. He messed up the credit cards and charged the wrong one. When I called him to tell him that he had and to give him the transactions numbers I had from the bank he still said he hadn't done it. When raised my voice and said yes you did and I've got the transactions numbers he hung up on me. When he called back a little later to see if I had calmed down...oddly I hadn't. Gail called later and was professional and apologetic. She even said it was her fault because she hadn't left a note in the system telling him it was going to be paid for with a different card than the one the reservation was made with. I get that except when somebody asks are you running the card the reservation was made with or the one she handed you, you maybe look at the card number before trying it again. Ultimately there was no charge, but I did have funds tied up for about 6 days, my card declined, had to make a transfer from savings and spent a couple hours of my vacation on the phone with the bank. Everyone makes mistakes, it takes a big person to admit it. He wasn't and still isn't two months later. He kept arguing that he hadn't done exactly what he did for two days in spite of Gail having the transaction numbers from their processing system. He never called to admit he'd make a mistake or apologies for the inconvenience or hanging up on me. If he had I probably would have settled for leaving good reviews for the two other hotels we stayed in. As far as the hotel it self goes, if you want remodeled "vintage route 66" this is your place. It is cute, but I highly recommend that you only deal with Gail. I opted for original vintage for almost 30$ less and night and my parents for the same money went for a pool, bigger room, HBO, continental breakfast and rooms with key card locks.

• Stayed July 2010
5 Thank azkellyk
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 11, 2010

My wife and I enjoyed our stay. The owner was super nice to us taking us to the room, and showing us all of the neat things in the room. The beds were great. It was clean and smelled clean, too. (The bath tub area needed some tile work, and repair of the baseboads around the floor. Little disappointed there!) The room was quiet. We would stay here again as a rest stop on a long drive west from Texas! Thank you for your personal kindness. Old people like that approach. Loved the music about Tumcumcari, NM. on the CD in the old table radio.
BB

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cgbennettjr
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 1, 2010

This motel was recommended by a friend, but we arrived at 3:00 on a Sunday afternoon and none of the local restaurants were open (or much of anything else for that matter). We finally settled for Denny's at the Flying J.

If you are on the road and you are ready to stop for the night, this little motel is fine. I just wouldn't go out of my way to stop here. It is better to drive down the road a few miles if you can and stay in Amarillo (where you might actually have a better choice than Denny's or KBobs steakhouse)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2010

We stayed here as part of our route 66 tour. The lady who greeted us was very friendly and showed us the amenities in the room and how everything worked etc. It was great having the wi-fi and flat screen TV and the room was OK, no better or no worse than any other motel that we had stayed in. The room was spacious enough and clean. I had a slight problem with the fact that there was a gap between the door and the ground, with daylight clearly coming through and I envisaged all sorts of insect life coming into the room while we were asleep.

My main gripe, is what is at Tucumcari? We could have completely bypassed this place and not missed anything. So many motels/bars/restaurants/shops had closed down. There was nowhere to go and eat. We ended up going to the supermarket and buying wine/food and eating it back at the motel. Actually, we had a nice picnic outside in seating area. I was particularly impressed by the fact that the owners had obviously planned a private party & BBQ, but they waited until we vacated the area and went back to our rooms before they and their guests started their party outside.

I wouldn't particularly recommend anyone go to Tucumcari, but if they do I would recommend this place to stay - it looks way better than anything else there.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
stillwater, ok
Reviewed August 26, 2010

This motel was our first stop on our "Out West Adventure" this summer on our way to California. What set this motel apart from others we stayed at is the owners: their friendliness, helpfulness, and the "small town" feeling!! Both places they recommended to eat were great! They are most affordable.....the cheapest place we stayed including a Motel 6 stay!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple