“Nice - but pity about the smoking”
Review of Motel Safari

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucumcari
Motel Safari
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Tucumcari
Reviewed January 30, 2010

Beds are as comfortable as others have said. Realize the renovations are ongoing - so bathrooms and other things will be gotten to over time. Lack of a bedside light between double beds is a pain...hopefully that fix is also coming up in the future. HVAC unit in the wall can be noisy - but then what wall mounted units aren't?

My biggest gripe is the smell of smoke. The whole lobby/registration area smells strongly of smoke. So strongly that I simply could not go in there. It really detracts from the otherwise good ambience of the place.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed January 23, 2010

Great place. I have to admit I was swayed by the reviews but when my wife and I drove to Vegas this was the half-way point and we wanted to stay in Tucumcari. You have plenty of choices in Tucumcari and we didn't want to spend a boat-load for a quick overnight stay but when we found out about the Safari we had to try it and with the winter rate of $39 what did we have to lose.

We weren't disappointed! First, this is truly a motel which means free parking right up to the front of your door. I like that since my wife carries a lot of luggage and I don't have to worry about lugging it up stairs. Upon check-in the proprietor showed us to our room and in fact the lights were on and the temperature was at a comfortable setting. Very personalized service that you don't get very often in today's busy world.

What is there not to love! Originally built in the late 50's this motel has retained it's original charm along the old Route 66 but it has all of the comforts of today's modern properties including flat screen TVs, in-room coffee makers, nice thick towels, upgraded and very comfortable bedding, vintage CD/Radio, vintage telephones and oh yeah, free wi-fi!. On top of that it is cozy and very clean with the original restored furniture and feel. This place has charm, character and value wrapped up in one package for you in Eastern New Mexico.

As compared to more modern rooms it might feel a bit small (hey, that's how they built them in the 50's/60's folks, remember?) and the bathroom is small to boot but overall for what you get you won't be disappointed.

Make it Tucumcari tonite and make it at the Safari! You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 6, 2010

My husband and I recently traveled from the UK to make a month long road trip along route 66 to find what remains of the old road.

We stayed in a lot of motels along the way but none came even close to the Motel Safari for preserving the feel of days gone by. The husband and wife team who own this Route 66 gem deserve to be top of the list. Their tireless efforts to restore the Motel Safari to it's former glory are immediately apparent as soon as you open the door to your cabin. From the lovingly refurbished original furniture to the painstaking details that goes into sourcing the original fabrics and historic pictures on the wall, it's a perfect example of a vintage motel.

The attention to the vintage detail doesn't stop the rooms being fully equipped with free wifi, wonderfully comfortable beds, down pillows and flat screen TV's (gotta have the mod cons) and the owner, Richard, is both extremely helpful, very dedicated and a pleasure to meet. The rooms are kept squeaky clean and very cosy.

Now for the blatant favouritism - by all means stop and enjoy the neon on the Blue Swallow Motel's sign, but do yourselves a favour and stay at the Safari. You will miss out if you pass it by. For seekers of a genuine feel of the past, there is no better place than here.

Keep up the hard work Talley's, you're doing an amazing job restoring small town America.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MrandMrs-Steel
Reviewed January 2, 2010

I liked Motel Safari very much that I will definitely stay there again.

The motel looks very old-fashioned from the outside, but is actually modern inside.
The room has a flat screen TV, CD player, and free internet connection (I did not use my PC there, though).

The only negative is that there is no telephone in my room. A very old-fashinoned phone was there, but it was just for display and not usable. And the air-conditioner is a bit noisy.

I hope to stay there again in summertime.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed December 3, 2009

This is a wonderful place the beds are very comfortable, very clean and staff is very friendly.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank ToddandMindy
Reviewed October 9, 2009

Road tripping from California to Ohio I broke down in Tucumcari, NM. I totally lucked out when I was told by the garage mechanics to check into the Motel Safari. Richard, the Owner/Manager of the motel, showed me to my room, turned on the lights, pointed out the room amenities and told me to let him and his wife know if I needed anything.

The room was extremely clean, smelled nice, was very quiet and had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! Big flat screen TV, instant hot water in the bathroom, small coffee maker with coffee for the morning and the motel provided a list of local restaurants and sites to see in Tucumcari. I was even able to hop online to let my family know where I was - no problem with Internet connection. For a historic property it is really well maintained with room décor staying in line with the retro theme of Route 66.

Tucumcari is a small town but in the future I would absolutely make this motel my overnight stop when road tripping through New Mexico! The Motel Safari is a nice oasis in the dry heat of New Mexico!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We traveled from Hiawassee, Ga out I-90 by all the National Parks and Monuments, and stayed either in our camper or motels. We are both over 60 and have both traveled extensively either for work or pleasure and have NEVER slept in such comfort as we did in this motel. After our wonderful night there, we spoke with Richard and told him we have a vacation cottage we rent, and know the work it takes to make a persons stay comfortable, and REALLY enjoyed our stay. Best value ever. Period.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple