“The best motel on the entire of old Route 66”
Review of Motel Safari

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucumcari
Motel Safari
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Tucumcari
Belfast, United Kingdom
“The best motel on the entire of old Route 66”
Reviewed January 6, 2010

My husband and I recently traveled from the UK to make a month long road trip along route 66 to find what remains of the old road.

We stayed in a lot of motels along the way but none came even close to the Motel Safari for preserving the feel of days gone by. The husband and wife team who own this Route 66 gem deserve to be top of the list. Their tireless efforts to restore the Motel Safari to it's former glory are immediately apparent as soon as you open the door to your cabin. From the lovingly refurbished original furniture to the painstaking details that goes into sourcing the original fabrics and historic pictures on the wall, it's a perfect example of a vintage motel.

The attention to the vintage detail doesn't stop the rooms being fully equipped with free wifi, wonderfully comfortable beds, down pillows and flat screen TV's (gotta have the mod cons) and the owner, Richard, is both extremely helpful, very dedicated and a pleasure to meet. The rooms are kept squeaky clean and very cosy.

Now for the blatant favouritism - by all means stop and enjoy the neon on the Blue Swallow Motel's sign, but do yourselves a favour and stay at the Safari. You will miss out if you pass it by. For seekers of a genuine feel of the past, there is no better place than here.

Keep up the hard work Talley's, you're doing an amazing job restoring small town America.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrandMrs-Steel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Yokohama
Reviewed January 2, 2010

I liked Motel Safari very much that I will definitely stay there again.

The motel looks very old-fashioned from the outside, but is actually modern inside.
The room has a flat screen TV, CD player, and free internet connection (I did not use my PC there, though).

The only negative is that there is no telephone in my room. A very old-fashinoned phone was there, but it was just for display and not usable. And the air-conditioner is a bit noisy.

I hope to stay there again in summertime.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed December 3, 2009

This is a wonderful place the beds are very comfortable, very clean and staff is very friendly.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank ToddandMindy
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 9, 2009

Road tripping from California to Ohio I broke down in Tucumcari, NM. I totally lucked out when I was told by the garage mechanics to check into the Motel Safari. Richard, the Owner/Manager of the motel, showed me to my room, turned on the lights, pointed out the room amenities and told me to let him and his wife know if I needed anything.

The room was extremely clean, smelled nice, was very quiet and had the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! Big flat screen TV, instant hot water in the bathroom, small coffee maker with coffee for the morning and the motel provided a list of local restaurants and sites to see in Tucumcari. I was even able to hop online to let my family know where I was - no problem with Internet connection. For a historic property it is really well maintained with room décor staying in line with the retro theme of Route 66.

Tucumcari is a small town but in the future I would absolutely make this motel my overnight stop when road tripping through New Mexico! The Motel Safari is a nice oasis in the dry heat of New Mexico!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Hiawassee
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We traveled from Hiawassee, Ga out I-90 by all the National Parks and Monuments, and stayed either in our camper or motels. We are both over 60 and have both traveled extensively either for work or pleasure and have NEVER slept in such comfort as we did in this motel. After our wonderful night there, we spoke with Richard and told him we have a vacation cottage we rent, and know the work it takes to make a persons stay comfortable, and REALLY enjoyed our stay. Best value ever. Period.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed October 2, 2009

As Senior Citizens my husband and I love to go back in time. We found this little gem of a motel on Route 66 in Tucumcari, nm. We are very budget minded but still want to be comfortable. The outside is a older motel that has been repainted and parking repaved. The inside on the rooms have been modernized still keeping with the 50's theme. Very large room with a super comfortable bed and updated bath. Coffee pot for the morning. Someone lives on the property, not sure if it was the owners but they were very nice, took us to our room to check it out.
We travel from Texas to California several time a year and it is so nice to find a place to stay over and over again. We paid $50.00 for 2 seniors.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fryarsmith
tulsa, ok
Reviewed September 16, 2009

We thank our hostess for making our stay comfortable in such refined facility,.The really nice flat screen television and pillowtop mattresses made us feel at home.The price and comfort would really encourage us to return. Again...many thanks for the comfort!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family