“Cool retro motel and great bargain!”
Review of Motel Safari

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucumcari
Motel Safari
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Tucumcari
Texas
“Cool retro motel and great bargain!”
Reviewed July 29, 2009

This is a super-cool retro motel that has been comfortably restored, making it a fabulous bargain! I was impressed with the service; the owners are personable, attentive, and friendly, and they've restored this hotel with extremely nice beds, swank flat screen tvs, free wifi, in-room coffee, and yet maintained the integrity of an old Route 66 motel feeling. My room was very clean, and the motel was very quiet. It is also perfectly located on the main drag of Route 66 in Tucumcari, and the price cannot be beat! I plan on making this my motel whenever I'm in Tucumcari; it's great to get away from the chains and support "regular" people running a cool and clean motel with history and charm!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank whateverintexas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Alabama
Reviewed July 17, 2009

My wife and I stayed at Motel Safari on the way to Sedona. It was more than we could have asked for. We were there on the 4th of July and enjoyed the fireworks from the parking lot with the owner. He is a great guy who makes you feel welcome right away. The rooms are clean and comfortable and modernized while keeping a look of the 50's and 60's. You won't be disappointed if you stay at Motel Safari.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank TownsendTraveler
Iowa
Reviewed June 20, 2009

This motel was above and beyond anything we could have expected. We were looking for a Route 66 motel - not a chain motel. The 'famous' Blue Swallow was booked & he referred us to the Safari. The decor, including a flat panel TV & a 50's style clock/CD player; the newness & cleanliness; & posturepedic pillow top mattress was AWESOME, and made for the most comfortable night we've had in a long time. The owners were extremely nice, friendly & accomodating. They even had a storage area for motorcycles in case of bad weather. There were several nice restaurants within walking distance. For us it was 'off the beaten track' which created a more relaxed & serene environment away from the stresses of life. Even the coffee pot & coffee in the room was unique & worth mentioning.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JasmineIowa
Fayetteville, AR
Reviewed June 2, 2009

I saw several good reviews and this is why I decided to stay there. I was a bit suspicious at first, as the hotel name didn't say anything, but I wasn't disappointed. The hotel was inexpensive, but the rooms were new, clean and comfortable. No dirt, spots on the carpet, the beddings were comfortable and clean. I returned to this hotel on my trip back. The town itself did not interest me too much, but the hotel was great. Wireless Internet access (good quality signal) in each room adds to its value. This hotel is maintained in the retro style (Route 66), who likes it will appreciate this hotel even much more.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Tomasz98
las vegas
Reviewed May 17, 2009

We pulled into the "Blue Swallow" motel across the street and since they were full, we were sent across the street to the Motel Safari. What a great surprise! Richard, the owner was super helpful, welcoming, and eager to talk about the project he has put his heart into... the motel. Our room was recently remodeled with new carpet, bed, fixtures, and super clean. He did a wonderful job keeping the retro 60's feel of the motel and the rooms mixing old with new. Richard has put in the absolutely BEST beds in his rooms that I have EVER slept in , , , nicer than my bed at home, nicer than any at all the hotels I've been in! I'm NOT exaggerating. Convenient location right on old Route 66 in Tucumcari, NM not far off Hwy 40.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank leavinglasvegas129
Anaheim, California
Reviewed May 13, 2009

This is a GREAT find! In my entire trip with 6 nights in hotels this was the best. I stayed here on my trip in February and the night I got into Tucumcari I was exhausted from driving in from California and needed a good night's sleep and I got it! The beds were so comfortable (pillowtop mattress!) and my head sank into the pillows. I can't explain how comfortable and relaxed I was! Even the towels were big and soft! And everything was brand new in the room (TV, shower, furniture). And my dog was welcome! And it was so cheap! Only $40! I was so surprised that it was such a great stay at such a low price. And the people at the front desk were very nice! Like I said I stayed in 6 hotels and this was my favorite, a few others were about as comfortable, but none were near the price of Motel Safari. Overall, I was very pleased and would highly recommend it to anyone passing through!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank shall_i_take_a_cab
So. California
Reviewed April 4, 2009

We were driving through on I-40 from Atlanta, GA to Los Angeles and the night that we planned to stay in Tucumcari needed to be restful... it was! The man who helped us was really informative, and recommended a great coffee stop in the morning. The room was clean and felt very new. The TV was fancy, the bed was very comfortable, and there was a mixed "50's" CD in the player. I was super impressed, especially because the outside looked sort of average as we pulled in, in the dark. Choose this spot, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple