“Stop here!”
Review of Motel Safari

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucumcari
Motel Safari
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Tucumcari
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Typical motel stop on old Route 66 but when we went opened our room door we could have been in a 4* hotel! Admittedly we did have their best room but at $99 it was great value. Very spacious with a separate sitting room. Spotlessly clean and very friendly owners.

Room Tip: Ask for the Wanda Jackson room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I from Australia and my cousin from Kansas City stayed here in August 2013. We had no booking so were pleasantly surprised to get such great service and rooms from Gail, the new ownwer. We had the new suite, just fantastic, clean, modern retro and huge TV and Bed. The pillows were the best I have ever slept on. My cousin had a double room nearby which was just as clean and comfortable. Gail was very helpful in advising us where to eat, where to shop and more importantly where to stay in the next few towns we were visiting. Her advice proved to be spot-on. Thankyou Gail, our experience in your town is one we will never forget.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

After reading reviews on TA we thought we'd give Motel Safari a try. Great choice! Room was super clean. We loved that feel of the historic route 66 days gone by. Don't let the run down parts of town steer you away. This place is a gem.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This was an overnight stop along Route 66. The rooms are updated and clean, and the whole motel is well maintained. The room was comfortable and we were escorted to it by Gail, who offered recommendations for dinner. This is in the middle of the Tucumcari Route 66 and offers some great photos of the old motel signs which are beautiful at night.

Room Tip: Phones are for decor, so you will need your cell phone, or take a walk for calls. This was not an i...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jbollig
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed here as the jumping off point for a motorcycle trip into northern new mexico. I didn't have advance reservations; after arriving in Amarillo I started calling for lodging near Tucumcari. After calling the usual national brands and being quoted $100 + per night rates, I called a smaller well reviewed motel in the area; they were sold out, but recommended Motel Safari. I called and talked to the owner; she was so pleasant to deal with. She reserved my room and gave me directions from Amarillo to the property. Upon arrival I checked in and Gail (the owner) walked me to my room. The property is an older 1950s - 60s motor lodge situated along old Route 66. It has been recently renovated; the exterior isn't much, but the rooms are wonderful - clean, smart, sharp, and very comfortable. The beds are well appointed and keeping in a nice 60s color scheme; but not over-the-top retro. Room amenities are standard and include a large flat screen with excellent channel selection, in room refrigerator, wi-fi access, and coffee maker (note: for the hard core expresso junkie, there are nice options nearby). I was offered clean up rags for my motorcycle; and also offered to shelter my bike in an enclosed area - very considerate offer. My room was quite and very very comfortable. I have to mention one feature - the bathrooms and bath towels ! Marvelous. While most hotel bathrooms are horrible- think fiberglass surround tubs, cheap towels, and no flow showers. The Motel Safari was a complete 180 ! Excellent shower head and water flow, all ceramic tile surround tub, and luxurious over sized towels ! PERFECT !

Did I mention all this for a rate of $66.00 ? Yep.

This is a wonderful find in an area that is over saturated with lesser lodging. I advise ya all to check out Motel Safari. The only negative - no pool.

Room Tip: Motel Safari is a small property and i didn't notice any room advantages that I can recommend...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Rally123
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This motel is a treasure! If you're looking for a very authentic Route 66 experience, this is the place!
It is all decked out and furnished in the 60's decor. It is so clean, it is emmaculate!!

Gail, the owner, is so helpful and she takes a very personal interest in her guests. She made us feel very welcome.

The bed was comfortable, the room very clean, and the atmosphere was 60's. perfect.... What more could u ask for while
Driving Route 66 to California?!!! This hotel is a real GEM !!! DO stop in and spend the night!!! You will love it!!!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joan F
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Travelling along Route 66 you want to experience a bit of the past, so it's good to stay at an authentic motel, some motels are a bit of a worry however not Motel Safari, what a great place, the rooms are as good as any modern hotel spacious, clean, great beds and sheets, great nights sleep

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple