“An excellently refurbished '50's Motel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Motel Safari

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucumcari
Motel Safari
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Tucumcari
Tyldesley, Lancashire
“An excellently refurbished '50's Motel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

Want to experience the Route 66 legend, then this place lets you do that, but with modern equipped 50's style decor. The room was clean, very clean and all the decor was immaculate. The bed is without doubt one of the best we've slep in away from home. All in all a very nice experience and full marks to the lady who greeted us and showed us to our room, it's a credit to the staff and management.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Panama City Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

When we arrived, the woman at the desk looked at my kids with disgust, and was not friendly (although reviews I read were different from our experience). We rented two rooms, for we were traveling with my parents and my family of five. Not friendly! The rooms had no phone or phone book, no outlet near the bathroom or mirror, few washcloths and towels (and we didn't want to disturb the grumpy lady), little light, no room near the sink to place items like makeup or contacts, and the bathroom smelled of very bad body odor. I had to dry my hair next to the front door and wake up my family, and there wasn't the room in the small room to place luggage. The bathroom was gross, the room was small, the experience was bad. We only stayed there because my parents wanted to experience a stay along the historic Route 66. No laundry, no pool, but, it was in a good location to walk along the road of the old Route 66. We had first tried to get reservations at the Blue Swallow, because reviews were great, but they were full, so we reserved rooms at motel Safari without seeing it (we were a few hours away). I would not recommend this hotel if other choices are available.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Tammy C
66er, Owner at Motel Safari, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
It is obvious from your comments that what you preferred all along was a modern day big box chain hotel at roughly twice the price of our motel, but that your parents were interested in an authentic Route 66 experience at a historic property, which are two completely different experiences and a challenge to please all in one group. For that we apologize and regret your less than satisfactory experience, but also hope your parents had a pleasant and enjoyable stay. Our rooms are close to twice the size of the Blue Swallow's and obviously our customer reviews just as similar and speak for themselves, nor do they have a pool or guest laundry, so we doubt you would have enjoyed it or any other historic motel property. There are 3 sets of full size 100% Egyptian cotton luxury towels in each double room and 2 sets in each king room, plus more available at any guest's request and a phone book in every single guestroom's desk drawer. The towels and our sealy posturepedic pillow top plush mattresses, would be exactly the same at ANY 5 star luxury hotel found around the world, however our property is a historic motel that was built in 1959 and may not have fit with your desire for an ordinary everyday chain hotel. Our motel is original to it's history, therefore in 1959 there were no travel hairdryers and no outlets next to the sink, other than a two prong on the original lamp above it, however there are outlets nearby and on each desk with a sitting chair for use, as well as hairdryers, irons and ironing boards available upon request. People come from all over the world to experience Route 66 and it's wonderful collection of original motels, diners, curio shops and quirky attractions. While we have provided up to date amenities for our guest's comfort such as our luxury linens, bedding and even 32" inch flat panel TV's, we will always be a historic motel true to it's roots and have no desire to ever become another number among larger chain hotels. Thank you for your comments, and as always, we will endeavor to make changes that improve the experience for all our valuable guests.
Evansville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

When I was a child in the 60's, my grandparents operated a couple of motels in Kentucky. We also took family trips every year, so I have a lot of great memories of staying in motor courts.

About 10 years ago, I had stayed at the Blue Swallow. I initially had tried to get there, but there reservation system leaves a little to be desired and I was notified later that there was a mix up, and in fact they were full. I was disappointed as I was looking forward to getting out of the generic hotel funk I had been in, and take a trip back in time. Since I was already en route, I had to scramble. Pulling up tripadvisor, I found all the reviews for the Safari.

Needless to say, I am glad I stayed here. Gail called us to make sure we had all the information we needed and to advise that there was storms in the area. When we arrived, she walked us to the room and made sure everything was in order. She also gave great recommendations for both dinner and breakfast. Since it was stormy all night, we didn't get a chance to sit outside and socialize.

The rooms were immaculate. Retro and original furniture, yet a 32" flat screen and great pillowtop matresses. All the coolness of the mid-century, with the modern comforts of today. Truly the best of both worlds.

I stay in a lot of hotels, and this will certainly go down as one of my all time favorites. If you are traveling through Tucumcari, or doing a 66 run, skip the generic chains and stay here. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is a great little hotel. The rooms are super clean and the beds are super comfortable. Nice air condition rooms with flat screen TV's and mid century decore. We stayed in this hotel on our cross country Alfa Romeo Giulia adventure from NY to CA and will stay at the same motel again if we ever do it again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Devon,UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I can only agree with all the other reviews - excellent motel with a friendly welcome, good clean rooms and parking right in front of your door. And of course, it's right on Route 66! Long may it prosper!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dayton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I just read several of the reviews that were just written and they say it all!!! We were on our way west to a mission trip to the Navajo Indian Reservation from Ohio and had reservations here based on previous reviews from TripAdvisor and it was soooo awesome to stay here! The owner also called to see if we had questions on how to get there, she came to our room and pointed out the features of the room when we checked in and just made us feel very welcome. The motel with its retro look has all the modern conveniences and beautifully decorated! If I ever go west again, this WILL be my stop!!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

We were looking for a bit of nostalgia on Route 66 and the Safari is perfect Diane was a gracious hostess and shared information about the area Room was spotless and very retro. I could imagine Rickey and Lucy staying there on vacation. it was a very hot day and the ax struggled to keep the heat at bay but for $66 it was a value.

Room Tip: Ask for a king bed.