“Good sleep and great shower!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucumcari
Historic Route 66 Motel
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Tucumcari
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Booked this a few hours out of town, so glad we did! The room was very clean, the furniture looked almost new, I slept the best I have in several nights, and the shower this morning was hot right away! Took me by surprise. Now I'm enjoying what's become a necessity, my sugar-free caramel latte, and that's right here at the espresso bar! What a wonderful combination....oh, and did I mention the price? Under $40.00 can't be beat!! If we come back through, we'll be back!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Historic Route 66 Motel

Reviewed June 11, 2013

For the past 14+ years, we live in Texas in the winter and the Jemez Mountains in the summer and have continuously traveled back and forth between Dallas, Colorado and New Mexico for 25+ years. Having stayed at many places all along 287 and I-40 over the years, we discovered Historic Rout 66 Motel about 12 years ago and have never stayed anywhere else (twice a year) since. Owners, Michael and Cathy Fulton are very nice, friendly people, the rooms are always clean and well maintained (showers-hot water & good pressure) and the rates are perfect for our budget. They have made continuous improvements over time and, a couple years ago added Circa Espresso Bar, which we find very convenient and excellent in service and menu…………..a perfect beginning for the day’s travel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank john m
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Wonderful motel in Tucumcari on Route 66. Very clean, super nice owners. We had a wonderful room that was nicely done retro style. Tucumcari is a great little town also. Nice little coffee shop on location also. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Room 124 is huge! I could live in it!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank concrete51
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Coming into Tucumcari, you may be a little concerned with the hotel/motel choices. However, If you are looking for a trip to the past and want a retro,clean,comfy place to stay, this may be your pick. The owners are friendly and are working really hard to bring this old motel back to its original state. Prices are incredibly reasonable and cheaper than the big chains down the street. Cable and Wi-Fi are free. The next time we are in Tucumcari, we will definitely stay here.

P.S. Great coffee bar on site

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank WJC31589
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I read the other reviews and was skeptical about some of the interior of the rooms from some of the reviews. So we stopped and ask to look at a room we would stay in, and it was fine. Yes it was old paneling and carpet, but it was in great shape, no holes in the walls or carpet, and it is a retro motel. I loved the ancient light switch when you enter the room.

Front desk was great, I think it was the owners.

Could of stayed in one of the name brands for $120 +

Room Tip: we chose non smoking
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Highcountry558
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Before beginning my cross-country drive from San Diego to Tennessee, I decided that the only way to "enjoy" the 3500 mile trip was to plan my overnight stops in eclectic towns that I could look forward to seeing along the way. Having made previous cross-country moves with only my dog to co-pilot, I know all too well how long and miserable the drive can be when the only focus is arriving at your destination as quickly as possible.

After spending my first night in Flagstaff, my dog and I made our way further east to the small New Mexico town of Tucumcari which boasts a handful of classic Route 66 motels. (Yes, there are the "other" brand-name/chain hotels but all were overpriced and rated very poorly by other travelers.) The Historic Route 66 Motel was one of two dog-friendly motels which stood out on the recommended list --- the price was extremely reasonable and the dog fee was low (approximately $38 for the night). Amenities included free Wi-Fi, cable, basic toiletries, etc. Parking is directly in front of your room (no stairs to lug bags up and down!); parking lot and surrounding property is EXTREMELY well-lit; rooms are exactly as shown on the website -- nothing fancy but clean and comfortable; location is perfect for getting off/on the interstate but be sure to confirm the exit, etc. with the owners ahead of time because Google, Garmin, etc. will take you the less direct way which is 3-4 exits before the exit that you really need to take.

If you are looking for an affordable place to rest your head for the night, I would 100% recommend the Historic Route 66 Motel. Not only was the town a wonderful reminder of what American life (and travel) used to be, but the owners of the Historic Route 66 Motel treat their travelers like friends just stopping over for the night. For example, while checking-in I asked about the Wi-Fi access as I had a paper to complete and send in that night. The next morning, Cathy (she and her husband own/operate the motel) greeted both my dog and I by name, then she made a point to ask whether I'd been able to finish my paper the night before. While that might seem insignificant to some, I always appreciate when people remember the details -- simply, it was nice to stay somewhere that I didn't feel like just another warm body filling an empty room.

Whenever I make my next cross-country trip, the Historic Route 66 Motel will definitely be an overnight stop!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Erin A
Reviewed May 30, 2013

If you are looking for trip to the past and comfy place to lay your head, this may be your pick. The owners are working real hard to bring this old motel back to its original state. It has signs of wear but still clean, pet friendly and the staff are friendly. There is a Denny's across the street, gas stations close and quiet at night. Prices are reasonable, cheaper than the big chains down the street. Cable and Wi-Fi are free. We trailered a custom street rod with us and the owner allowed it to be parked in front so I could watch it. Great folks. I would stop by again. This and the Blue Sparrow fill-up quick.

Room Tip: You may want the reserve a room still in the summer, it fills quick. I believe all the rooms are goo...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple