“Great exterior, well worn interior”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucumcari
Historic Route 66 Motel
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Tucumcari
Helix, OR
“Great exterior, well worn interior”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

This place was "recommended". It was highly touted in TripAdvisor and they took dogs, but it was a bit overrated. Great mid century modern exterior, but the rooms could really use some rehabbing. It's good to be retro, but this was just old. Beds were good and comfortable and the linens were nice. The rooms were paneled I that dark cheap wood or wood-like paneling that was really popular in the 50s or 60s. A bit worse for wear. The carpet was a worn dark teal. Not sure if the place would have originally had carpet or linoleum, which was new and considered really modern, but with the dark paneling, this just made the room dark. Part that I loved was that the whole front, facing the parking lot, was floor to ceiling windows. That would lighten the place up, but it would also expose one to the highway and everybody else who drove in or walked by. Think it would probably be great with a courtyard and with sheers under the heavy drapes. The bathroom was more than tired. And it smelled like someone had been smoking, but they tried to cover it up with cleaner smell. Probably would go back, but not if I wanted to shower. Nice woman at the desk. Never saw the man. We had a flat tire and she volunteered their compressor to pump it up in the morning. However, they wouldn't be up until later than we were ready so we called AAA.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nancy D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

My friend and I were arriving ridiculously late after the office would be closed and Kathy, one of the owners, made arrangements for us so that we could still check in. Very accommodating and helpful, thank you! The exceptional customer service, the espresso bar and the mod retro look makes this Route 66 Motel a must see & stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marniyl7
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

This motel is a real sleeper - pun intended! Room was clean and comfortable. Owner was very friendly. They have an excellent coffee shop on the premises where you can get coffee that is far better than the dishwater served in so many US restaurants.

Their prices are far too low for what they offer

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DUTCH_Van_Atlanta
osnabruck
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

It was only my feelings that must be the right place to stay.And it was.There is no complain about this nice and clean place to stay.Thanks to this friendly people.

Helmuth and Karoline from Vienna ,Austria

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Tehachapi, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I, and our dogs, have stayed here three times and have never been sorry for our decision. The owners have always been helpful. And the rooms have always been nice. Loved it when they added the espresso cafe. I have been telling everyone to stop here if at all possible. Later this summer I'll be driving the in-laws out West on a extended road trip, and will travel an extra 500 miles in order to spend the night and show-off this gem of Rt.66 history. Also to go down the road and have a drink at the Lizard Lounge. Thank you Cathy and Michael for saving this little bit of Americana. Love this place, see you soon.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Our family of five stopped off here on our way from AZ to TX winding down our Spring Break trip and wanting a little bit of the Route 66 vibe. We booked a King for my husband and me, a single Queen for my son and the corner double beds for our daughters, and everyone was very happy with their rooms - not easy to please teenagers! It was different than anywhere they had ever stayed, and me too for that matter, giving us a new experience. My husband and I loved the walls of windows to our room, but note the corner room for the girls didn't have this. Since they are teenage girls, it actually made me feel a lot safer without the wall of windows for them. Check-in and check-out were simple, the rooms were of good size, comfy and like stepping back in time. I've read the reviews concerning the window units, but I am a light sleeper and it didn't bother me. However, do expect it to turn on and off throughout the night. You have all the BARE necessities, but do not stay here if you are expecting the Ritz..... you are not PAYING for the Ritz. These rooms are of great value! Everything here was as expected for us, with only one delightful exception, the stylish coffee bar! The owner made me a killer cappuccino, and I stole a few moments with my IPad, coffee and a biscotti in the morning.

There are a few pastries at the coffee shop, but if you desire a large, homestyle cooked breakfast head to Kix on 66 just down the street.

Room Tip: If you would like a wall of windows to your room, don't pick a corner. If you want tons of spac...