“Best Rest in the West.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tucumcari
Historic Route 66 Motel
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Tucumcari
Tehachapi, California
“Best Rest in the West.”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I, and our dogs, have stayed here three times and have never been sorry for our decision. The owners have always been helpful. And the rooms have always been nice. Loved it when they added the espresso cafe. I have been telling everyone to stop here if at all possible. Later this summer I'll be driving the in-laws out West on a extended road trip, and will travel an extra 500 miles in order to spend the night and show-off this gem of Rt.66 history. Also to go down the road and have a drink at the Lizard Lounge. Thank you Cathy and Michael for saving this little bit of Americana. Love this place, see you soon.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Our family of five stopped off here on our way from AZ to TX winding down our Spring Break trip and wanting a little bit of the Route 66 vibe. We booked a King for my husband and me, a single Queen for my son and the corner double beds for our daughters, and everyone was very happy with their rooms - not easy to please teenagers! It was different than anywhere they had ever stayed, and me too for that matter, giving us a new experience. My husband and I loved the walls of windows to our room, but note the corner room for the girls didn't have this. Since they are teenage girls, it actually made me feel a lot safer without the wall of windows for them. Check-in and check-out were simple, the rooms were of good size, comfy and like stepping back in time. I've read the reviews concerning the window units, but I am a light sleeper and it didn't bother me. However, do expect it to turn on and off throughout the night. You have all the BARE necessities, but do not stay here if you are expecting the Ritz..... you are not PAYING for the Ritz. These rooms are of great value! Everything here was as expected for us, with only one delightful exception, the stylish coffee bar! The owner made me a killer cappuccino, and I stole a few moments with my IPad, coffee and a biscotti in the morning.

There are a few pastries at the coffee shop, but if you desire a large, homestyle cooked breakfast head to Kix on 66 just down the street.

Room Tip: If you would like a wall of windows to your room, don't pick a corner. If you want tons of spac...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Carefree, Arizona
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stopped here for one night in January. Check in was smooth, except for the pet paperwork, which was a little intimidating.

Our room was clean, and the beds comfortable

The only drawback, as mentioned in other reviews, was the very noisy wall mounted heater/ac unit. If you are a light sleeper, either bring earplugs, or stay elsewhere.

Also, the front desk is not manned until 3:00pm.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
the road
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The owner/operator answered my phone call as I approached Tucumcari, NM after dark. She was kind and informative. Our room was clean, simple and featured extremely comfortable beds. This means a lot to me since I had been traveling for two days straight. The room was simple retro and for the price a fantastic's nights' value. PLUS they have an espresso bar on property where the same owner who checked me in built me a morning coffee that was top shelf. I did some biz on their wireless and had a 2nd cup for the road. I am through there every year. I will stop again. (And my biz pard loved it that Circa, the espresso bar, had a quality cup of tea for his morning start up. This is something most American establishments miss completely.)

Room Tip: Get a glass front window and enjoy the view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I love this place. I love the people. Considering that I am only able to get to this motel once or twice a year in the summer on our drives, I think it is awesome that they remember who we are. I love motels where we meet the owners, and can have a friendly conversation.
The rooms are some of the cleanest that I have ever been in. The coffee bar is good.
I was able to spend some time in town, and despite meeting owners of various other motels that I stopped in to photograph, I still feel a loyalty to this place. This will be the place we stay at for as long as we come through Tucumcari and they have a spot for us.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
northern california
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The Historic Route 66 Motel is a fine motel. It provided the basic essential of a nights stay, Good bed, TV, clean bath room with a fridge and a microwave at a reasonable price.
I read many of the reviews rating the motel at a 5. To me a 5 rating is high class resort type rooms. The Historic Route 66 Motel is not by any stretch of the imagine a high class resort but it is a solid three at much less a price than the chain Motels

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank chiggers99
Gardnerville, Nevada
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Owner run and well managed. They even have their own coffee shop opposite the lobby across the parking lot. Being a hotel manager myself I am highly critical and these folks do it right. Simple, eclectic and really retro. Get a room with the glass front and enjoy old Route 66. We sat with our wine and martini and enjoyed the evening. Will definitely return when passing through town again.

Room Tip: Like I stated above ensure you get a room with glass frontage.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple