“BYO cleaning supplies”

Pelican Spa
Alpine, Texas
“BYO cleaning supplies”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Stayed here last weekend and unfortunately our room (the Loft) looked to have been largely ignored by housekeeping. The beds were made (hopefully the sheets were laundered, not sure) but the sitting area had bits of food on the floor, couch and table... shredded cheese, large bread crumbs, even a used band-aid. Clearly this area wasn't considered important by the cleaning staff. The floor is rough concrete which is fine, but it should be swept, the entire floor, after each stay. There is no way this floor had been swept in at least a month. My first choice of coffee cup had dried coffee in the bottom so after that we washed every cup and dish before using it. Two members of the staff were gracious and accommodating, though another young woman seemed to want to be anywhere but there. Lastly, around 8 PM a full rock band set up stage next door to our room and began to play hits from the 70s and 80s, loudly. With the one inch gap between the doors to our room and theirs (they connected, presumably for a suite effect) it was impossible not to have our very thoughts drowned out by noise. Needless to say, we complained and were immediately given another room across the courtyard. This staff member was kind and helped us move our things. The new room was great. Quiet and clean, we wished we had reserved this room from the beginning! T or C was a pleasant surprise, though, and we will be returning. If you rent the Loft, check out the room before unpacking and be sure no bands are booked to play next door during your stay.

Room Tip: Check out your room before unpacking.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank FitTravels

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Lubbock, Texas
Reviewed May 8, 2012

After a nice first night at Pelican Spa and enjoying a soak in the mineral baths we decided to stay for an extra night.

We had to switch rooms on our second night as the room we were in was already booked. We stayed in both #2 and #3 in the Pelican Apartment building.

Both rooms were basically efficiency apartments one with a living room and one with two bedrooms. There is a small kitchen area with a sink, fridge, and microwave and a bathroom with a shower with an awesome shower head. The rooms were very clean and the beds were very comfortable. We were able to walk our 3 beagles in grassy areas nearby. The window unit air conditioning kept the room cool and comfy.

The rooms are painted in vibrant colors and the decor is what I would describe as quirky and fun. The bed linens and towels at the Pelican were soft and plush.. more so than I expected from a place that line dries!

The bonus of this place is the private mineral bath rooms that both my husband and I utilized a couple of times. The hot springs soaks were soothing and relaxing and the baths were clean. The staff we encountered were both friendly and helpful.

We would gladly stay here again. :)

If you choose to cook there is a stove at the main facility about a 1/2 block walk away. We walked to the short distance to the yummy Happy Belly Deli for breakfast all 3 mornings.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank moviejunki
El Paso, TX
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I stayed 3 nights in Pink Pelican #1. It is really a small apartment, rather like the kind I rented as an undergraduate but with everything working and SPOTLESSLY CLEAN. It included a large living room with a somewhat tired but large couch. There was a widescreen TV with basic Direct TV. The bedroom queen bed was quite comfortable. Off the bedroom was a walk-in closet with 6 wire hangers. There was a nightstand that opened but does not include drawers. The bathroom is your basic bathroom with a tub/shower, etc.

The kitchenette was actually larger than many kitchens I had in rentals. The fridge is about 3/4 size, there is a microwave, sink, stove and table with two chairs. It included a couple plates, bowls and silverware. There were no pots or pans or ice cube trays but I could probably have asked for them at the front office. Since I did not need them, I did not ask.

The air conditioner was stand-alone tower that was vented out the living room window and could not be moved, so I made sure to crank it up well before I was ready to turn in so the bedroom would cool off. Because of the venting, the drape did not close fully but it closed well enough for me. I'm not real shy.

The pink pelican 1 is in a building more or less across from the main office and facility. The hot tubs are in the main facility, about a two minute walk. The tubs are in 4 or 5 separate rooms, first come first served, with doors that shut and latch. Fluffy towels are provided. The rooms that house the tubs are all decorated with fun art on the walls and the soaks are glorious.

The main facility also has a communal kitchen where you can pick up coffee for your coffemaker and, for those who do not get a room with a kitchenette, you can cook. There is also a washer and dryer in the kitchen area.

The first morning I dropped by the office to ask them to not change the bed sheets or the towels and was told that the staff do not go into the rooms unless asked, which worked for me.

The Pelican main facility is covered with funky outsider and Asian-style art. There is a large living room with lots of seating including a large table for groups. There is also a TV in that room.

I used the free wireless Internet service in my room with no problem. There is also a computer with free Internet access in the main office and free printing. I tried it as well and it worked just fine.

The inn is located in the historic area of T or C and within very easy walking distance - like a block - of art galleries, consignment shops, and several restaurants. There is also a park a few blocks away on the water.

I had a great stay.

Room Tip: Pink Pelican rooms give you a lot of space for the money; main facility rooms are fancier.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ElPasoBirder
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Third time here, nothings changed I still love it. This is the perfect embodiment of the funkyness of TorC. Ive stayed here, the Sierra Grande and the Blackstone. They all have good and great things going for them but dollar for dollar I like this place. But if your looking for the Holiday inn/Comfort Suites/Red roof experience please dont stay here. You will be disappointed. Have the best breakfast ever at the White Coyote just up the street. BTW unlimited tubbing is included in price.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Spa compound while a little more give quick access to tubs
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Santafesoaker
Reviewed March 18, 2012

The colors were very "creative" and the hot springs are in hotel not room are a nice touch and very close to a great restauraunt.

• Stayed April 2011
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I've stayed here twice and both times the check in was a clunky, unprofessional mess. Both times the staff was so disorganized, unprofessional and let other staff and guests interrupt while I was left standing there mouth agape. One of them is an owner who easily disrupts the check in. I had to to excuse me both time. Even while showing me my room other guest's questions became more important. Astonishing. If you can survive that the place is quite charming, decently priced, in a great location. Within walking distance of places to eat, soak, art galleries. Sure it's a little shabby chic but that is par for the course in T or C. Soaking is convenient here and included. Overall a hippyish little gem. Just don't expect the check in to be exactly smooth.

Room Tip: The loft in the compound is my favorite room. Love the art.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lonedog
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed December 18, 2011

The owner needs to spend one cold night in this room!

Too Blue, Too cold,
Very disappointing..sorry folks! The staff was great.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the Blue Room when it's cold outside!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Juli P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truth or Consequences
Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa
Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa
#2 of 15 in Truth or Consequences
Comfort Inn & Suites Truth or Consequences
Comfort Inn & Suites Truth or Co...
#5 of 15 in Truth or Consequences
Elephant Butte Inn
Elephant Butte Inn
#1 of 2 in Elephant Butte
Holiday Inn Express Truth or Consequences
Holiday Inn Express Truth or Con...
#7 of 15 in Truth or Consequences
Travelodge Truth or Consequences
Travelodge Truth or Consequences
#8 of 15 in Truth or Consequences
Rio Grande Motel
Rio Grande Motel
#1 of 1 in Williamsburg

Been to Pelican Spa? Share your experiences!