“Make my day”
Review of Fire Water Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Truth or Consequences
Fire Water Lodge
Austin, TX
“Make my day”
Reviewed July 12, 2009

I am pleased to submit an excellent review on Firewaterlodge as I stayed there in "07 and "08 for an extended stay during both summers. Richard, the proprietor, has made continued improvements on the facility and was always upgrading a room, adding a new tub area or fixing something as he takes great pride in his very charming lodge and everything is always clean and tidy even if the infrastructure is quite old, apparently dating back to the '30's.
The mineral baths are just fantastic and I even befriended his cats who roam about freely all over the place as if they are actually running the place...they were very cute and friendly. His "maids" or "housekeeping staff" were always very helpful and were not at all intrusive...one hardly noticed their presence as they got their work done and they were not always "hovering" around as I have experienced at some other facilities. They were discreet in their usuage of the tubs and made sure that the guests always came first...the big fellow (can't remember his name) was filling the tub to "cool off " for his wife (they are a "team," as it were, and do the maid-service) and a guest was also ready for a tub. he graciously deferred to the guest and disappeared so as not to cause a disruption to the peaceful courtyard for the guests. We had many campfires and sang songs...Richard took us on river floats and jet skis out at the lake. It was a most pleasureable experience.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
artesia new mexico
Reviewed July 4, 2009

i had my two dogs enjoyed the room and the hot tub .it was great . very relaxing.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed June 21, 2009

I frequently travel between Santa Fe, New Mexico and Tucson, Arizona. Truth or Consequences is a nice midway point to stop and relax. I always stay at Fire Water Lodge. I have stayed in all 5 rooms. All the rooms are different and have their own unique southwestern charm. The rooms are colorful and much of the furniture is handcrafted. The thick adobe walls make for a quiet stay. Four of the rooms have their own LARGE, tiled geothermal tubs. Be sure to check out the new tub located outside of the Eucalyptus room-- the tile work, beautiful hanging quartz crystal cluster and waterfall is a work of art. As a single woman, I feel completely safe at Fire Water Lodge; in fact, the friendly couple who help manage the lodge keep their door cracked open so that Feather, the resident cat, can roam in and out at night! For a quiet, comfortable, relaxing vacation where you can soak in your own private geothermal tub, I highly recommend staying at the charming Fire Water Lodge!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank SantaFeSkye
Albuquerque
Reviewed May 15, 2009

Fire Water Lodge is an odd little hotel. It's a very old motor lodge, built many decades ago for capturing the folks driving cross country prior to the times of the interstates...folks who wanted to enjoy the famous natural hot springs.

As such, the space has been updated to some extent, but still holds a lot of its rundown shape as well. This is kinda cool and kinda disappointing at the same time. I enjoyed seeing the features from the old hotel (like some great concrete lions)...but parts of it also just felt old and a little dirty. The old parking area has become an open area, with benches, swings and flowers/shrubs. It's a relaxing space and has charm...but by the same token, it also feels a bit gone to seed. I understand that it would be expensive for the owners to hire someone to give this garden a professional touch...but during the one night we were here, we also never saw anyone really using the space...it's quiet but also not very inviting. If you had a large group staying at the hotel...say enough people to rent all six rooms...then this central space would be great for a small party, BBQ, etc.

We stayed in the waterfall room. In many ways, this was a terrific room. The tub is HUGE. The picture on the web site only hints at it. Two people can stretch out (or submerge) at full length and not get in each other's way. The waterfall feature is very nice as well, quite pretty (although the tub fills so fast, you only see it for a short time). The waters were hot and relaxing, and during our brief stay, we enjoyed them several times.

The room was not large, but it was very nicely decorated...very "rustic" but nice, bold almost Spanish/Moorish colors. We loved the original painting of the closet door (done by a local artist)...that was a nice touch. The bathroom itself was very small. We liked our bed just fine.

Some minor complaints: no shampoo provided, nor was there a soap dish. We got a full bar of soap, like you'd buy at a store...but just sitting on the counter. It got wet and slid all over the place!

The main door was a bit small for the door frame...about 3/4 inch of space at the bottom, meaning lots of light from outside filtered through...but also raised questions about privacy. We often like to play some music in our rooms (nothing outrageous...but loud enough to enjoy)...but were afraid too much sound would bleed out and perhaps annoy others.

In the morning, we received a coupon for the little diner next door. That was great, because it turned out to be a very tasy and affordable place to eat.

Service at the inn was very laid-back and relaxed. They encourage you to just go straight to your room and avoid many of the formalities of checking in...they have your credit card # in advance, after all. The innkeeper was a very friendly guy and gave us a quick tour, including the outdoor hot tub which looked like fun, but we didn't get a chance to use.

The price was VERY reasonable for having a giant natural springs hot tub in your room! This is not a place to go for business or frankly, with the kids. It is for a romantic, quiet getaway...just what we were looking for. We'd sure stay again!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RMurray847
Wisconsin
Reviewed April 29, 2009

My room had it's own hot springs tub, which was fantastic. But that is the only good thing I can say about this place. The door had no deadbolt or chain, only an old, antique lock which was completely unsafe. I had to push a heavy table in front of the door at night. The windows are also ancient, single pane glass with no safe locking mechanism. I have traveled extensively and by myself and this was the first place I did not feel safe in. There was no maid service (I stayed 2 nights). Also the heat was supplied by an electric heater. There is no conventional heating system. The mattress on the bed was about 6 inches lower in the middle than it was on the sides, top and bottom so I barely slept. I would not recommend this place to anyone. I came to relax and left exhausted.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed July 11, 2008

This motel was exactly what I was looking for in T or C. Laid Back, Clean, friendly, and an excellent value to boot.

We pulled in in the evening and were greeted by Karl who informed us where our room was and said to 'Just get settled in, we'll handle the business later on.' He then gave us our morning food vouchers for The Happy Belly cafe which is attached to the lodge and instructed us in the usage of our in-room mineral bath. At this point, I knew we were in the right place. He was more concerned about us getting settled in than receiving payment. I didn't actually pay the bill until the next morning, and it was only because I wanted to get it out of the way, I wasn't hassled about it at all. Truthfully, they already had my credit card number and could charge it at any time they wanted, but it was really nice that they just trusted I would get to it.

The staff at the lodge are incredibly friendly and helpful without being intrusive. From what I can tell, Richard runs the front desk and Karl and Scott handle the caretaking of the lodge (at least that was our experience). All three were great. Karl reminded my wife and I a bit of Huell Howser from the PBS show "California's Gold".

The room was very clean and well furnished. The Spanish tile floors, funky distressed furniture and thick adobe walls gave the place an authentic rustic feel without feeling dumpy. We stayed in the Waterfall Room (#3) which had a very large private mineral bath which we immediately jumped into to get rid of some of the aches of traveling and felt like a million bucks afterwards. The pictures on the firewaterlodge website are nice, but don't do the place justice. You can see the furnishings and get an inkling of the relaxing feel of the place, but nothing measures up to actually being there.

If I had to choose a negative about the place it would be that the bed in this room was a bit too firm for our taste. I think the average age of a tourist in T or C is much older than my wife and I and older people seem to like firmer mattresses so I can see why they chose to go with it, but when we come back we will probably bring along egg crate foam to lay on the bed. I don't know if the other rooms have super-firm beds like this but you may want to check when making your reservation.

If you are a person who prefers a corporate, sterile experience that feels more comfortable in a cookie cutter room that looks and feels exactly the same in New Mexico as it would in New York, this may not be the place for you. However; If you are looking for a funky and refreshing experience and are open-minded to being transported into the friendliness of yesteryear, I would recommend giving this place a try. You will not be disappointed.

We'd like to thank the staff for making our stay there such a wonderful experience.

-Addam & Celina Wesneski

• Liked — Lodge staff and attention to detail.
  • Disliked — Nothing, really. The bed was a bit firm for our taste...
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank WillieCash
Seattle, WA
Reviewed May 10, 2008

I don't know why I didn't write a review when it was fresh in my head, this was the best place I stayed on a long road trip through AZ and NM.
My room was all ready when I got there. The innkeeper was friendly and it was nice to have breakfast made for me. I traveled solo and stayed in the waterfall room - the tub was big enough for two so I wish I'd had company. The room was even neater than the pictures on the website.
The bed was comfortable, the room was very funky and just what I hoped it would be. The courtyard had plenty of places to just sit, relax and read. I enjoyed seeing the city and visiting the shops in the area, its within walking distance of some of the galleries and restaurants.
The only down side was as far as I could tell there wasn't an ice machine and I bought some wine and had no way to chill it.
I would gladly return anytime to this place.

• Liked — Great tub with mineral springs water, peace and quiet
  • Disliked — not a thing
  • Stayed August 2005, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank AlexandreaM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truth or Consequences
Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa
Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa
#2 of 15 in Truth or Consequences
Comfort Inn & Suites Truth or Consequences
Comfort Inn & Suites Truth or Co...
#5 of 15 in Truth or Consequences
Holiday Inn Express Truth or Consequences
Holiday Inn Express Truth or Con...
#7 of 15 in Truth or Consequences
#8 of 15 in Truth or Consequences
Pelican Spa
Pelican Spa
#3 of 6 in Truth or Consequences

Been to Fire Water Lodge? Share your experiences!