“DO NOT GO EAT HERE!”

La Cocina Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed January 29, 2014

just ordered food from there.... VERY DISAPPOINTING...... cant get an order right, then has the nerve to charge me for food I didn't get, I call for a consecutive 45 minutes and get a busy signal, go back to get the remainder of my food and they cant make up for their mistake by offering a simple discount, yet want to offer me coupons so I can go back and get more horrible, inconsiderate, unsatisfactory service.... no thanks ............ i highly recommend people NOT eat at such a disgraceful restaurant

1  Thank Kylecandy1

Reviewed December 1, 2013

This restaurant is just off I-25, Exit 79. One has to look for the entrance, just past the McDonald's, on the left hand side. One drives up a hill. There is good not-too-expensive Mexican and American food. We like to stop there for lunch or dinner, if we are passing by at meal time on our way to/from northern NM or Colorado. This time we had their Mexican dinner #2 -- chili rellenos with rice and refried beans. It was very tasty and an ample size. I can't quite remember the price, but think it was $8.95. They were crowded on a Sat. night for dinner. We had to wait for one long table of perhaps 14 to be served first. There are both tables and booths. The chairs and tables are rather rustic, made of wood, and look like the arms and legs are made of cactus wood. The table had a painted western scene on the top. They had three stuffed antelope heads and one stuffed oryx head high on one wall. Other decorations are in the Southwest tradition. The ladies restroom was clean.

1  Thank ANNIE S
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We stopped in for a family dinner and went here to have a beer or "wine margarita" as
it was the a little later on a weeknight. Being from out of town I was warned that the Mexican food was not very good and told to order American food.

Well let me tell you, the American food is not very good either. I had fish & chips, the fish was frozen and a didn't taste good. My wife ordered chicken strips and was served frozen chicken nuggets, who knows what part of the chicken they were. My sister ordered the prime rib sandwich and complained that the meat was very fatty and not too good. My brother ordered chicken fried steak and he thought it was good. All the meals came with a salad, it must have been also used for Mexican food because it consisted of chopped lettuce, chopped tomato's and shredded cheese. Kind of strange looking for a dinner salad but the blue cheese dressing was good.

Out of 6 people eating the only one who thought the food was the chicken fried steak eater. The town is full of good Mexican food and apparently most people have discovered it. This is a restaurant on the way down, it's up to you to see how low you are willing to go to dine. This is our last visit here, too many poor experiences and the management doesn't have a clue.

This would be a good prospect for Restaurant Impossible.

1  Thank mr49phil
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Just off the freeway and sitting atop a little knoll this restaurant has wonderful views from windows and parking lot. The food is either steaks or mexican. My husband and I shared a well prepared prime rib as we had been told the portions were big. They were we did not finish it between the two of us. The eight of us were seated at a large table which was built with large parties in mind. The furniture was all oak as was the trim on the windows. There were a few trophy heads on the walls. The paintings on the walls and on the table tops were a variety of western outdoor scenes, cowboys and indians in expected colorful dress, etc. Nicely done. The food service was efficient and friendly, the food was hot when served to our large party and very tasty! I would go again!

1  Thank mmkhlava
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We entered the building early Sat. Evening. No hostess or cashier in sight for several minutes. We waited. Eventually a lady led is to seating, some later a server came and took drink order.. We decided to try appetizer and if good we'd dine there. Drinks were ever so slow to arrive. Ordered nachos. Waited. Others were seated and served. Waited. Decided to pay our drinks and leave.. Mgr was brought out. She comped our order. Nachos arrived as we were at the door. The most eye contact was after we decided to exit. It must have been a very 'off' day there. But we won't return