“A Treat for the Body and Spirit”

Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa
A TripAdvisor Member
St. John's, NL, Canada
Reviewed September 4, 2005

Who would like the Sierre Grande? If you are looking for:
pain relief..........relaxation.......a place to nourish your spirit......a romantic occassion.......time to think........a friendly place with nice staff.... to pamper yourself.......good food .... picturesque scenery....nearby attractions

If your looking for any of these things in your vacation destination you should consider the Sierre Grande. My review may be long but personally I like as much info as I can get that doesn't come from a brochure and I also really want to encourage people to do themselves a favour and treat themselves to a few days of absolute bliss. ( Plus any of you guys in the dog house..., I guarantee you this place will give you soooo many brownie points with your wife/partner you are covered for a while!)

If you are looking for healing of the body and/or spirit you need to put this location at the top of your vacation list of places to go. I had the absolute pleasure of spending 3 days/2 nights at the Sierre Grande Lodge and I have to say it was such an incredible experience I will joyfully endure another 13 hours travel to repeat the experience.

First, let me say I thought the staff were wonderful...including the restaurant staff. Their Chef was incredible and even took the time to introduce herself and share a little about her experiences and her skills. For anyone who enjoys a truly great fresh Ceasar salad with anchovies you will not be disappointed. We were served mostly by Justin and Christine and both were so charming and friendly they truly added to our experience, but all of the wait staff were efficient and courteous. The desk staff were first rate and Thanks Larry for the late night coffee and your always friendly and informative chats.

As many others have pointed out the Lodge is clean and very nicely decorated but I don't believe anyone has captured the true magic of this location. As you drive up you are greeted by a full size Prayer circle and a truly soothing fascade. From the lilting notes on the speakers outside to the truly relaxing scents that seems to hang on every breeze (both from the oils and the lush garden of desert delights that surround you!) your senses are coaxed into letting go of every trace of the stresses of the outside world. The owner has gone to a great deal of trouble to ensure the Chi flows perfectly in every nook and cranny. No matter what your spirit requires or what your personal beliefs are you will find something hanging, sitting or growing that will nourish your soul.

My friend and I took advantage of many of the spas offerings and it was all truly spectacular but I have to make special mention of a couple of people. First of all reflexology with Shelby is an absolute delite. Not only does she know her stuff but you can feel her positive energy in her hands. She is a pleaure to chat with and I am thoroughly looking forward to seeing her when I return.

As the saying goes I saved the best for last. Ramone and Alice, the couple who provide Swedish massage. Alice is the sweetest person that one can imagine and I enjoyed talking with her so much. I know she takes no exception to me singling Ramone out as the star of My show. I didn't have the pleasure of trying Alice's talents but I'm sure my friend will laud her praises. I did however, have the most incredible experience with Ramone. This is a man with a gift beyond what you can learn in books. You can truly feel him channel healing energy into your body. I have had crippling back pain for over 20 years. I walked in on a cane. I walked out with perfect posture and free of pain in my back for the first time in years. The two knots in my back, the dislocated discs and the constant ache in my neck were gone! I have seen every type of doctor know to man and the best they could do is offer me pain killers. Ramone gave me relief. Somehow his gentle, caring fingers were able to break up 20 years of agony. Was it the hand of God working through him...I like to think so. But for those of you are not inclined to believe in modern miracles just take it at face value and accept that this man has the skills to manually manipulate the muscles in such a way that pain relief is definately possible and very probable! Miracle or skill, a session with Ramone is definately reason enough to visit and take the opportunity to enjoy everything else the Lodge has to offer!

This place even attracts the nicest guests. The continental breakfast and late in the evening on the porch were both nice opportunities to talk to people from all over. I caught a peek of the indoor tub with rose petals and candles and I couldn't help feeling it was very much a fairy tale setting. The Sacred Waters are truly a delight and the outdoor one under the moon is fabulous!!!

There are lots of other nearby attraction including Elephant Butte lake. (Lots of fun!) and some great restaurants. I will also mention the City of El Paso since it is one of the closest cities to fly into and it only adds to the attraction of "T or C" and the Sierre Grande. You can enjoy a few days of pampering and then take in the sites and sounds of El paso. The people of El Paso and New Mexico are wonderful examples of American and Mexican hospitality!. They are right on the Mexican border and you can add that to a vacation itinerary too. I don't think you can get better value for your vaction dollar then this combo!!! All in all the best vaction I have ever had.

A Happy Vacationer!!!
PS. Thanks, Mary

• Stayed: August 2005
11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa

Reviewed August 15, 2005

It's a bit surreal finding a fancy place like Sierra Grande in the middle of a funky town like T or C...but I'm not complaining! We thoroughly enjoyed our one-night stay. The room was very nicely furnished and comfortable, the private indoor mineral spring was sublime, and dinner in the restaurant was surprisingly good (both food and service). The rate wasn't terribly expensive considering how nice the hotel is. Our room was about $110, which included breakfast and use of the baths. These accommodations anywhere else would easily cost twice that amount.

Stayed: November 2004
3  Thank ChelseaGirl98
Reviewed July 19, 2005

While the Sierra Grande is bound to be the most expensive place to stay in TorC by far, if the exact same facility were located within a 30-min. drive of Santa Fe or Taos, I bet the room rates would be nearly twice as high! The rates are even better midweek. Its has an attractive and well-restored building, large and nicely appointed rooms, modest but adequate spa facilities, and a good restaurant (albeit with rather limited hours). I noticed that one other reviewer complained of problems with the restaurant staff, but we had pretty much the opposite experience, showing up without reservations just 10 mins. or so before the restaurant closed for the night, but were seated and served a very good meal without feeling at all rushed.

• Stayed: July 2005
4  Thank Dtx
Reviewed May 22, 2005

The Sierra Grande Lodge was the biggest surprise on our recent trip to TorC and Las Cruces. Having driven through TorC before, we didn’t expect much. But the hotel’s web site looked classy, and reality did not disappoint. The rooms are a very pleasant departure from the standard hotel room fare and feature a large tub just a few feet from the bed, original photography on the walls and unique furniture (especially the bed). The room rate included a continental breakfast as well as a 30-minute soak. We opted for the indoor bath for privacy reasons, but the outdoor bath would be the better choice during the warm season (April-November). Checking out some of the other baths in town really convinced us that we had made the right choice with the Sierra Grande Lodge. Our only negative observation was that the Lodge was understaffed. There was only one person who would check guests in and out, fill the baths, oversee the breakfast buffet, and take care of guest requests like ice, wake up calls, etc. The same hotel in Santa Fe or Taos could easily be priced at over $200 per night.

• Stayed: March 2005
9  Thank Jemezhiker
Reviewed February 26, 2005

When you walk into this place you immediately are surrounded by the wonderful scent of the essential oils that they use in their soaps and cosmetics. The room smelled great too. Our regular room had a fabulous big bathtub for two right in the room. Great place to kick back and relax and be pampered. Recommend also the Happy Belly Deli a few blocks from there for breakfast and lunch.

2  Thank travhappy

Reviewed November 19, 2004

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truth or Consequences
Comfort Inn & Suites Truth or Consequences
Comfort Inn & Suites Truth or Co...
#5 of 15 in Truth or Consequences
Holiday Inn Express Truth or Consequences
Holiday Inn Express Truth or Con...
#7 of 15 in Truth or Consequences
#1 of 1 in Williamsburg
Pelican Spa
Pelican Spa
#3 of 6 in Truth or Consequences

Been to Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!