“One of my favorite places in the world.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa

Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa
Austin, Texas
“One of my favorite places in the world.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

I first discovered the Sierra Grande in 2004 and have been back almost every year since then. It is one of my favorite places in the world. The hot spring soaks are without a doubt one of the very best features. You get one free for every day of your stay. The rooms are each decorated uniquely, are very comfortable, and include a soaking tub as well. The range of spa activities are outstanding and well worth it. The hotel is located in downtown Truth or Consequences (such as it is) and a convenient walk to the entire town. Locally, you can keep yourself occupied for 2-3 days. Any longer than that and you will want to be making full day trips to other sights such as White Sands.

On the negative side, it is time for the Sierra Grande to upgrade their bedding. After a 3 day stay in January, my next stop was a Fairfield Inn. Guess which was the more comfortable sleeping experience. The Sierra Grande needs new mattresses and upgraded bed coverings and pillows. I say this with love, won't stop me from coming again.

Room Tip: The veranda rooms (although more expensive) give you a wonderful place to sit outside and enjoy the...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Warren_8888

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

LUCKILY, I arrived on the First day of Winter, and woke up the next morning to see six inches of snow on the ground and still snowy conditions. A brave soul was outside removing said snow from the sidewalk while dressed to the nines. SHE was performing above and beyond the call to duty. That was what I saw every day at Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa. Even though the weather kept me from my three goals, my eight nights at SGL&S was very LUCKY!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Charlie H
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

Hardwood floors or tile throughout makes for a noisy place. This was our second stay as we pass through T or C periodically. On our first visit we stayed upstairs. I had hoped moving downstairs would reduce the noise but we found just the opposite. Someone started banging pans in the kitchen at 6:00 am (right across the hall). The breakfast was an embarrassment. Cold cinnamon rolls, scones, and muffins wrapped in plastic that tasted terrible (see picture). The only other options were cold hard boiled eggs or granola cereal. We love the ambiance of this place and the hot tubs but the noise and poor breakfast make it hard to enjoy. We've traveled around the world and even low end lodging at other locations have better breakfast. You would think a place that charges $260 for a full spa treatment would invest in providing a decent breakfast.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank 1stWorld
St. Petersburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Sierra Grande Lodge during the week while we were working on a small commercial building. I lived in Truth or Consequences back when the Lodge was purchased by the current owner, and I am just amazed. The amount of attention and dedication that went into renovating this building is much appreciated. The gorgeousness of the building is augmented by the top-tier staff. They are welcoming without being overbearing, and they are ubiquitous. They seem to always appear when you need them. The spa area is immaculate, and each separate hot bath option is unique and spectacular. The breakfast is homemade and delicious. Hot tea, coffee and water are always available in a courtesy area of the restaurant and a crackling fire is lit in the entryway. As the temperature averaged 40-50 degrees when we visited, the Lodge was a warm welcome center of nurturing, and yes, we even soaked outside in the outdoor soaking pool when the temperature was cooling to 34 degrees. It was just heavenly. Thank you, Serge! Thank you Sierra Grande staff!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank patsgirl1281
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

What a wonderful combination of quiet and comfortable accommodations combined with the added luxury of an evening and morning soak in the healing natural hot spring waters. My husband and I spent one night (we wish we had more time to stay longer!) to celebrate our anniversary. It was just what we needed. The soaks that were included with our stay helped both relax us and soothed our aches and pains. All of the staff were very friendly and accommodating, from the time we made our reservations, checked in, interacted with them during our stay and checked out. They were wonderful.

Thank you, we will be back!

Socorro NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

This was our second visit to the Sierra Grande Lodge. This is a wonderful old historic hotel that has been lovingly refurbished and renovated to modern comfort. The staff is very friendly, the rooms are serene, and the baths, included in your stay, are a great way to soak away your aches and pains. There's a continental breakfast with various breads, fruit, cereals etc. including vegan and gluten free options.Yes, it's certainly pricier than other offerings in town, but it's also several steps above anything else. And you are right in the center of town so you can walk to the bookstore, the galleries, the museum, and Bella Lucca for dinner.

Room Tip: The rooms with balconies open onto a large upstairs balcony where you can soak up the sun after your...
1 Thank FrauPSocorroNM
Arlington Heights, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

Long time lurker on here since 2008, and I finally decided to register to post my thoughts on this invaluable resource. My wife and I were just at Sierra Grande a couple days ago (Jan 4th-6th) and it was exactly the perfect relaxing retreat we needed. We left our 18month old daughter with my wife's parents and drove the scenic 2 hour drive to T or C from Texas. I don't know why people feel the need to knock T or C. T or C is not some huge city like D.C., Philly, NYC, or Chicago. I'm assuming the reviewer failed to adequately research T or C before booking their trip. We didn't come to T or C for the town itself, we came for the Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa!

The Lodge & Accommodations:
I knew upfront that the Sierra Grande was on the National Register of Historic Places, so squeaky floors and other stuff like that didn't bother us. The building in general is in excellent condition and has been updated without compromising the architecture or history of the Sierra Grande. I appreciated the rustic feel of the furniture of the room. The queen bed we had in our room was very comfortable, and the pillows were like clouds. My wife liked the pillows so much that she was trying to figure out what kind they were. Loved the garden tub in the room with the hot springs water! Now, I read a review where an individual complained about HVAC operation and noise. We had no such complaints about our room, and the HVAC system was on the roof outside our room! The staff was very polite and helpful with everything we needed! In addition, my wife and I both liked the continental breakfast that was different from one day to the next.

Spa:
My wife and I tried each of the awesome spa soaking rooms/tubs that were available over our stay. Our favorites were the "big one" that actually had a large rock (maybe a huge piece of quartz) in the wall that had a spout to fill the jetted spa, and we also loved using the outdoor spa where you could look straight up at night and see stars all over the place. The waters in these spa rooms/tubs were just incredible. My wife and both very much enjoyed the massages we received from Jessica that were just as good if not better than those we had received massages at a variety of places like cruise ships and Hawaii. I tried the Integrative Ashiatsu while my wife was getting one of the facials, and was pleasantly surprised with how great I felt afterwards.

My wife and I loved our stay so much we're already trying to figure out if we can do it again next year when we visit her parents for New Years! If you're in the SW and looking for a relaxing retreat, look no further than the Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa.

1 Thank mjk037
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truth or Consequences
Comfort Inn & Suites Truth or Consequences
Comfort Inn & Suites Truth or Co...
#4 of 14 in Truth or Consequences
4.0 of 5 stars 147 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Truth or Consequences
Holiday Inn Express Truth or Con...
#7 of 14 in Truth or Consequences
Charles Motel and Hot Springs
Charles Motel and Hot Springs
#8 of 14 in Truth or Consequences
4.0 of 5 stars 56 reviews

Been to Sierra Grande Lodge & Spa? Share your experiences!