“A relaxing visit”

Riverbend Hot Springs
More attraction details
Owner description: Located in the historic town of Truth or Consequences, New Mexico and near Spaceport America, Riverbend is an affordable, smoke free, hot springs spa and resort, where guests can relax in a beautiful, laid back environment. It is one of the best hot springs in the southwest for its clean, comfortable pools and its unmatched views of the Rio Grande River and Turtleback Mountain.Guests choose from various public and private pools ranging in temperature from 101 to 108 degrees. They can soak in the mineral-rich, therapeutic waters by the hour, day, or stay the night and soak for free. From newly renovated and smoke free suites, family rooms or cottages, Riverbend has accommodations for most tastes and budgets and is dog friendly.Riverbend is walking distance to eclectic downtown T or C and its historic attractions, shopping, restaurants and art galleries. Outdoor recreation is found at the nearby Gila National Forest and Elephant Butte and Caballo Lakes. Riverbend is located on I-25 between Las Cruces and Albuquerque and is open daily from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. every day of the year.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We spent the night at this resort next to the Rio Grande and enjoyed the spa. While relaxing in the soaking pools in the day, we watched river birds (coots, a great blue heron, and an osprey). At night, we soaked under a star-filled sky. If you plan to soak more than once, I'd recommend bringing two bathing suits, so you don't have to put on a wet one like I did!

Reviewed December 12, 2013

We did not overnight at the Riverbend Hot Springs. We stayed at a motel about 6 blocks away without its own hot springs water access, though it offered discounted passes for use of the springs. The passes were for either 50 minutes in a private tub or one hour use of the public area and pools. We opted for both, starting with a 50 minute soak in one of the private pools (the coolest one of three, averaging 103-104 degrees) and finishing off with an hour in and out of the public pools as the sun set over the Rio Grande. They have several pools overlooking the river, as well as lots of outdoor seating, a tidy shower/changing areas and a very nice little sauna. VERY nicely arranged, all of it. Equal parts artistic, elegant and rustic.

Wow, what a fantastic location. Earlier in the day we’d checked out some other day-use hot springs pools in the Historic Hot Springs District neighborhood, and though all had the same hot mineral water piped in from the source under the town, each offered a different style—fancy new agey upscale, 1940s vintage style, or, in the case of Riverbend, moderately priced, open-air, rocky and natural. It was our top choice for soaking. Gazing over the river and the mountains in the distance really enhanced our experience.

The pools are mineral springs and don't have the sulfur smell you associate with hot springs in other regions. Afterwards our desert dry skin felt softened and rejuvenated, and our general mood (previously a bit cranky from the stormy winds that had battered us during adventures earlier in the day) had improved. Perhaps from the Lithium in the mineral springs? A natural “mood balancer”.

The staff was nice, helpful and gracious. However, I did find one of the desk clerks to be a little bit negative—A transplant from a big city back east, she insulted Truth or Consequences as being absent of “culture” when I mentioned I’m a fan of historic cities of the west and how much I was enjoying my visit to this unique town. She was a bit strident and overly political, disparaging my state and insulting me by saying she'd NEVER visit Arizona because of our governor's stance on many topics. I was really taken aback by her comments. As a general rule I don't think you should ever discuss your politics at work because it could reflect in inappropriate ways on the owners and bosses of the business. As an employee in tourism industry I always try to be a great ambassador for my state and present it in the very best, most positive light to visitors. Besides that, my political leanings were probably similar to hers, so I found her rant against Arizona especially vexing. Our conversation upset my mellow at the end of our visit, and for that reason I give 4 stars instead of 5, as it was truly a relaxing, wonderful experience
otherwise.

Of the public or private pools, I liked the private pool best as it’s clothing optional.

3  Thank GhiaGirl
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Friendly staff, beautiful views & facilities. $15 for private pool-best to book ahead. & $10 for public pools. Those prices are for a 50 minute session.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Never having been2a hot spring,I was excited about going2RB.It looked wonderful&had great reviews.After rescheduling my appt online w/in24hrs,thinking I was following the directions correctly,I was told that I booked another appt&failed2cancel the original. After2conversations,they still felt the need2redeem my groupon4the 1st appt&charge full price4the 2nd. I would have paid $45 instead of the $15 I thought. I canceled. They would rather get $15 than a potentially happy customer who would return&refer others.So sad!

2  Thank Sheri G
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This lovely spa is right on the Rio Grande River with beautiful views of nature, birds, etc. We used a groupon coupon for the two of us to spend 50 minutes in a private bath (one hot tub with a shower). There were two chaise lounges--a very pleasant, peaceful time. There is also an area with shared hot springs baths with different temperatures as well as private riooms. The usual price for a private tub is $30 for a session--they charged $1 per towel if you did not have your own--it could have been included in the price.