“New York in New Mexico”
Review of Cafe Bella Luca

Cafe Bella Luca
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed April 3, 2010

Driving into Truth or Consequences New Mexico was truly a situation of being tired and needing to stop for the night. With no room at the Comfort Inn, we googled Trip Advisor for a good restaurant. We thought after a good meal we could drive a few more hours. But Bella Luca was absolutely wonderful and after dinner and a bottle of spectacular wine, the owner Byron, helped us find a true southwestern gem at the Pelican Spa close by. They took care of us like we were friends from way back. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought this stop for the night would have been such fun, but the food was to die for, the service impeccable, and the evening memorable. Make it a destination. You won't be disappointed.

There are newer reviews for Cafe Bella Luca

Reviewed February 23, 2010

Service was professional, personable, and efficient. Micro-brew beer selection included good variety, with several being organic. Bread olive oil for dipping and seasoned olives as welcoming appetizers were flavorful and tasty. Wood-fired goat cheese and onion marmalade pizza was delicious and filling. Cinnamon chipotle chocolate truffle was very tasty and satisfying. Was very delighted to find this contemporary restaurant in laid-back Truth or Consequences. We will be back!

Reviewed February 15, 2010

Always a treat when visiting Truth or Consequences, Bella Luca Cafe Italiano is magnifico! Great service and perfect ambiance paired with an innovative menu make this a "must visit" destination. We used to come to T or C primarily for the healing waters (which are still wonderful...)

Chef Byron and staff, I can hardly wait to visit Cafe Bella Luca again! Buon Appetito!

Reviewed February 2, 2010

My husband and I recently spent an amazing weekend in Truth or Consequences, NM - who knew? While we loved our cute little hotel, Firewater Lodge, and the amazing hot spring tubs, this restaurant really made our trip. I used to work in restaurants in NYC and I've been fortunate enough to dine at some pretty amazing places in this country (Los Angeles, D.C., NYC, Atlanta, Charleston, Portland, etc. and abroad - England, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Caribbean) and without a doubt, Bella Luca is one of the best restaurants I've ever been to ANYWHERE. Besides their world class wine cellar (check Wine Spectator for review and award) their lovingly prepared Italian cuisine is innovative, while retaining the comfort of some of your favorite Italian dishes. I had the carbonara, a standard for me, and it absolutely melted in my mouth - no heaviness or stickiness that is often characteristic of poorer versions of the dish. My husband had their scallop risotto which came recommended by the very personable and knowledgable waitress. My husband and I both regularly choose scallops on any menu and these were not only the largest, but the most tasty we'd ever had and the risotto was done to perfection. Our flights of wine were all excellent featuring new additions to their menu and the waitress gave us all the information we asked for about each one. We were so taken with the restaurant, we came back the next morning for an amazing brunch - don't miss their version of the eggs florentine, incredible! I live in Albuquerque now, almost 3 hours from Bella Luca but would go there any time just to have dinner. I've eaten out in Santa Fe and Taos also and while I haven't tried every restaurant certainly, I'm willing to bet that Bella Luca is the best restaurant in the state. Make Bella Luca a destination trip - you won't regret it!

1  Thank lizhat
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Cafe Bella Luca was a superb experience for my wife and I and we were very surprised to find an restaurant with the fine ambience, charming decor, good wines and just sensational food, in such a small town. The service was fabulous, thank you Oliver! This restaurant could compete with some of the best places in very large towns like, Denver, Seattle, Phoenix and Santa Fe, easily!