“This is one of the best restaurants ANYWHERE! Make it a destination”
Review of Cafe Bella Luca - CLOSED

Cafe Bella Luca
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed February 2, 2010

My husband and I recently spent an amazing weekend in Truth or Consequences, NM - who knew? While we loved our cute little hotel, Firewater Lodge, and the amazing hot spring tubs, this restaurant really made our trip. I used to work in restaurants in NYC and I've been fortunate enough to dine at some pretty amazing places in this country (Los Angeles, D.C., NYC, Atlanta, Charleston, Portland, etc. and abroad - England, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Caribbean) and without a doubt, Bella Luca is one of the best restaurants I've ever been to ANYWHERE. Besides their world class wine cellar (check Wine Spectator for review and award) their lovingly prepared Italian cuisine is innovative, while retaining the comfort of some of your favorite Italian dishes. I had the carbonara, a standard for me, and it absolutely melted in my mouth - no heaviness or stickiness that is often characteristic of poorer versions of the dish. My husband had their scallop risotto which came recommended by the very personable and knowledgable waitress. My husband and I both regularly choose scallops on any menu and these were not only the largest, but the most tasty we'd ever had and the risotto was done to perfection. Our flights of wine were all excellent featuring new additions to their menu and the waitress gave us all the information we asked for about each one. We were so taken with the restaurant, we came back the next morning for an amazing brunch - don't miss their version of the eggs florentine, incredible! I live in Albuquerque now, almost 3 hours from Bella Luca but would go there any time just to have dinner. I've eaten out in Santa Fe and Taos also and while I haven't tried every restaurant certainly, I'm willing to bet that Bella Luca is the best restaurant in the state. Make Bella Luca a destination trip - you won't regret it!

1  Thank lizhat

Reviewed January 31, 2010

Cafe Bella Luca was a superb experience for my wife and I and we were very surprised to find an restaurant with the fine ambience, charming decor, good wines and just sensational food, in such a small town. The service was fabulous, thank you Oliver! This restaurant could compete with some of the best places in very large towns like, Denver, Seattle, Phoenix and Santa Fe, easily!

Reviewed January 21, 2010

We had dinner here on a Monday night. The decor if lovely, but I would imagine it gets very loud when crowded (high ceiling, bare floors). The wine list was reasonably priced and offered quite a few by the glass selections, which I appreciated. The beer list LOOKED good, but they were "out" of our first THREE choices of beer. I can completely understand being out of one selection, but if you are out of three, it seems to just be a matter of management being too lazy to update the list, and as a customer it's pretty frustrating.
We had the risotto balls for an appetizer and they were great--perfectly cooked risotto and a very nice, obviously house made sauce on the side. Mr. nmsooner had the carbonara, I had a calzone and we would recommend both of these.

The service left a bit to be desired. ( There were six tables when we were there, and I had to get up, walk across the room, and fill my own water glass twice), but I imagine it is very hard to get great help in T or C, and the service issues definitely wouldn't keep me from returning.

Reviewed January 9, 2010

I ordered a calzone I didn't come out to my liking and without reservation they allowed me to change my order. I changed it to a pizza which was phenomenal great taste and flavor. Reasonable pricing I would go back. I look forward to my next trip.

Reviewed January 7, 2010

Anyone traveling in southern New Mexico should stop in Truth or Consequences and have lunch or dinner at Bella Luca. One would never expect to find a restaurant of this caliber in this small but charming town. Chef Byron a well trained and experienced chef who has worked and managed kitchens in many U.S. cities including Las Vegas has given T or C an excellent dining opportunity. The menu offers quality selections with something for everyone. As a former New York City resident now residing in Boca Raton Florida I’ve had the opportunity to experience excellent and not so good restaurants….Bella Luca is a winner!!!!