“Our 'Twilight Zone' Experience ~ Read on...”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Bella Luca

Cafe Bella Luca
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sedona, Arizona
“Our 'Twilight Zone' Experience ~ Read on...”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Admittedly, Truth or Consequences is a retro, quirky, funky, little town living on the edge of the Twilight Zone, however, we were hoping to enjoy a nice dinner on our brief Hot Spring weekend excursion to relax. The weather was really nice so we requested to be seated on their patio, which we quickly discovered was ill-kept with dead plants, weeds, trash, and unappetizing. Inside the restaurant seemed too loud and hot, so we decided to remain outside. Another party (of 3) was seated on the patio after our arrival. Our waiter completely ignored us and proceeded to wait on the party that arrived 15-20 minutes after we did. They had received their drinks and appetizers before we were even acknowledged. Finally, our waiter came over to get our order. By this time, the party next to us had received their dinners and 2nd round of drinks as we finally were served bread and water. I couldn't help but wonder if this was part of our 'Twilight Zone' experience ~ perhaps we were in a parallel universe and really in prison. Sure felt like it. Don't get me wrong, no one was rude to us, they were having their own 'Twilight Zone' experience, I guess! Everything @ Bella Luca seemed to be moving in slow mo'. One GOOD thing was their homemade pomegranate sangria which was delightful. Never tasted anything quite like it ~ worth waiting for! I wish I could say something good about our dinners, but unfortunately can NOT. We both ordered lobster carbonara which was truly horrible ~ maybe the worst I have ever had. The sauce was too thick/ kind of sticky, the dish was served barely lukewarm/ cold, and there were only about 5 tiny bites of lobster which were hard to find and from the tip of the claw (NOT large chunks of lobster meat), with a rash of thawed frozen peas thrown in. I couldn't believe how bad it was for $24 per dish. My husband ended up eating most of mine since 'Mikey' will eat mostly anything when he is really hungry. We didn't want to send our dinners back (since we hadn't eaten all day), and it took nearly 45 minutes to get served in the first place. Our waiter didn't come back so we had to find someone inside the restaurant to pay our bill and get the hell out of there, never to return again. I keep hearing the theme song to the 'Twilight Zone' in my head as I write about our Truth or Consequences episode: Cafe Bella Luca...

3 Thank WorldSprinter18

Saint Johns, Arizona
“True Italian flair”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We visited t or c on the 19, 20 and 21 march. We were looking for a nice restaurant with home style food. We ordered the salmon linguini and it was superb. I'm Italian and I know what Italian food SHOULD taste like. I was a chef for 35 years and would be proud to serve their cuisine in any restaurant I owned or ran. We were there for lunch and the way we were taken care of one would think they were the only ones in the restaurant. Jessica, the owner was traveling from table the table checking on the patrons, that's class. We went back 2days later for dinner with the same results. Excellence again. We have a service dog and they treated him like one of the patrons also. The prices are so reasonable. Once a week they donate their profits to a charity. Outstanding jessica. Keep up what your doing. Oh and by the way the chocolate decadent was to die for lol lorraine, Jody and spirit. We will be back

Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Terrible, rude service, bland, overpriced food”
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

We asked for clarification on the menu and the surley waitress (and co-owner) told us to look at the menu, which we had done already, so the interaction started off strange. We asked what was in the caper dressing and the waitress told us it was capers, oil, and herbs. When our baby spinach (listed on the menu as including shaved fennel, marcona almonds, caper dressing) salad arrived, it was arugula with a pile of roasted red bell pepper on top. We sent it back, and then it came back as roasted red pepper on spinach. We sent that back, and they clearly just scraped some of the bell pepper off the spinach and added sliced almonds. I am allergic to bell pepper, so we asked that it be made fresh. Our responses were confused, not rude. The waitress returned and scolded me for not telling her I had (air quotes)allergies(air quotes), and that the caper dressing did have bell peppers in it, but they could make it with balsamic dressing. The salad was remade, this time with sliced almonds (not Marconas, and maybe one almond in total), no shaved fennel (there were sweet, possibly caramelized onions) and two sliced grape tomatoes, no dressing. The entree (cannelloni beans and greens) was bland and the beans were undercooked, hard and even crunchy in places. The waitress avoided us the rest of the evening. Clearly we were unhappy and waiting for a long time for the bill, but no one checked in or even apologized.

Visited March 2014
6 Thank Vanessa S
Justin, Texas
“Amazing Food, not amazing service”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Ate here on a Monday night, which didn't seem to be all that terribly busy. I only say this because our service was lacking. Our food took a long time to arrive and the waiter seemed rushed and didn't bother to check on us after our food was delivered. That being said I'm still giving this place four stars because the food was that good. My kids ordered a pepperoni pizza, which I had to steal a piece of because it smelled wonderful. I ordered the Calabasitas Fettuccini and it was amazing (and I'm not a big pasta lover). The fettuccini had a great flavor and all the vegetables were fresh (and I like the fact that some of the vegetables in this dish were locally grown and organic). Wish I could say that the service was on par with the food but after all that pasta I left here thirsty since I was never offered a refill on my drink. Also took a long time to receive the check after we were done eating. We probably waited about 15 minutes before we finally flagged our waiter down to for it.

1 Thank emeli500
cedar crrst
“Sorry I read about Bella Luca in NM magazine”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Drive extremely slow.
Bread was excellent.
My lobster pasta $24 was barely warm with two small salty claw meat in it. The sauce was very good. My husband $27 steak was maybe 1/2 inch thick and was served well done and not medium rare. Second steak came medium well.

3 Thank 2014east