“The Secret is Out!”
Review of Chili Line Depot

Chili Line Depot
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Mexican, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Description: We're the only game in town...in fact, the only food and lodging for many miles. We try hard to be the best. We raise our own beef, pork, and eggs on our ranch. We have a greenhouse and grow many of the vegetables served in the restaurant. Farm to Table fare. How 'bout it? We, now, have beer, wine, margaritas, and Bloody Marias, too. Tres Piedras is surrounded by Carson National Forest with GREAT biking, hiking and horseback riding trails, fishing, camping, cross country skiing, snowmobiling, and elk hunting. March 2013, President Obama signed a proclamation designating The Rio Grande Del Norte National Monument adjacent to our little village of Tres Piedras. This large historic (Chili Line Depot)building was the bar and dancehall for the old Chili Line Railroad with 3500 sq ft of hardwood flooring (and incidentally a roller skating rink and movie theater in it's former life), so we decided that it was time to establish an eatery and lodging in this unique place. In addition to the restaurant, we have a large (upstairs) bunkroom for groups and a couple of downstairs rooms for guests. Of course, we provide meals, a pool table, and Direct TV in the rooms.
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We've had a couple of meals at this great little find close to the intersection of the 64 and 285 in Tres Piedras, NM, My husband had the homemade lentil soup and raved about it. I had a super hamburger. Homemade pies and fresh baked cookies! We'll stop there whenever we travel either road and suggest you try it too. Bet you go back!

Reviewed July 26, 2014

Great prices and super friendly folks in this place when we dropped in as the afternoon rains started. Pleasant surprise by the folksy atmosphere and quality of the place in a small niche here in New Mexico. Love it and will return if we are ever back that way again.

Nice place to meet folks traveling through and sharing experiences.

1  Thank JerJensen
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Driving from Alamosa, CO to Santa Fe, NM early in the morning, all I wanted was coffee. The towns were getting smaller and the places to stop fewer. Then I stumbled on the inviting Chili Line Depot in Tres Piedras, NM and got not only good coffee, a great spinach omelet, but also friendly conversation from locals and fellow travelers. It was that kind of place thanks to owners and proprietors Gil, Tim, and Debbie Graves.

1  Thank backroadstravelerme
Reviewed July 14, 2014

When looking for a pit stop on the way to Gunnison, we stumbled upon Chile Line Depot. We figured we'd get a cup of coffee to go in exchange for the use of the facilities...but then we saw the green chile cheeseburger on the menu, and we knew we had to linger a bit.

The burger was amazing, featuring their own delicious, grass-fed beef and green chiles with a nice bite to them. We opted for the potato salad rather than the chips, and we were not disappointed. Debbie makes that from scratch, so I was confident that I could safely eat it (wheat products do not agree with me, so we had the burger bun-less, too). Nice big chunks of potato and a perfect balance of mustard, mayo, and onions. Since we had snacked on the road, we shared a burger but were determined to stop again on the way home. Chuck did indulge in the carrot cake (also scratch-made) and proclaimed it to be very good.

Our return trip was just as good...better actually, because they had a gentleman playing guitar & singing, and we added some green chiles to our potato salad. Plus, Debbie greeted us by name and welcomed us into her very crowded dining room.

The food was wonderful and the people - fabulous. Whether you are on a "gotta get there" trip or an adventure that allows you the latitude to linger, you will be doing yourself a favor if you stop here.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

I was blowing through Tres Piedras on my way back home and stopped by because I was hungry for some food (had been camping for a few days). I asked how long for a breakfast burrito, they said five minutes. I had a really good cup of coffee, and the burrito was made fresh to order in five minutes and it was really good. Service with a smile, too.

1  Thank blancaycoco

Been to Chili Line Depot? Share your experiences!