“First time I've ever called for a different room”

Hotel Don Fernando de Taos
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Taos
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“First time I've ever called for a different room”
Reviewed November 6, 2011

We dropped off our bags and went downtown.
Settling into our room, I found: 1.screen missing from one window, pane cracked, other window would not stay open. 2. TV would not turn on. 3. stoppers broken in bathroom sink and tub, moldy tub enclosure.
I called the desk and they gave me another room, but told me that no one was available to help move my bags the length of the property.
Rooms are arranged in clusters, each with a vending area. Ice is only available at reception.
We stayed Sept 21, the on site resturant was closed for the season. Only coffee and ice water were availble in the morning, and no place to sit down.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Donald E A
eagle0919, General Manager at Hotel Don Fernando de Taos, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Dear Donald E,

Thank you for taking time to post feedback of your recent visit to the Hotel Don Fernando de Taos.

Needless to say, we were dismayed to learn of the problems you encountered in your room during your stay. There is no excuse for anyone to have unsafe conditions in our guest rooms.

Donald E, we appreciate your brining these issues to our attention, as it is the only way that we can correct and improve. We highly value your trust and patronage, and would like an opportunity to regain both. If you travel to Taos occasionally, I would appreciate your calling me directly and allowing me to personally assist in your next stay.

Thank you once again for taking time to write, and we look forward to an early opportunity of showing you we are capable of better.

Ed Shelton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 15, 2011

We had a three night stay at the hotel. The grounds were very well maintained, our suite was very comfortable and clean and all the staff vere very very friendly and professional. We will be going back to Taos in the spring and will stay here once again. We are looking forward to it.

Room Tip: Get the suite with a fireplace in the fall. The nights are cool and just right for a fire.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Bob M,

Bob M, we appreciate hearing good things about our staff.
Thank you once again for taking time to write, and we look forward to a long term relationship, when you visit Taos.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed October 11, 2011

5 stars for value and friendliness of staff. Yes the hotel needs some updating but everything is in good order and clean. The staff was very helpful with our late check in and breakfast was surprisingly good!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Matt G
Dear Matt G,

We appreciate hearing about our staff taking care of our guests.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We had just recently taken a trip to taos to visit the beautiful pueblo and decided to stay at the Hotel Don Fernando being that the price was very reasonable. As we checked in the lobby of the hotel was nice the check in was ok and desk clerk was nice as well. We checked in kind of early so only one of our rooms was ready, so we just took it and went and put are luggage in so we can contiue our little tour that we had planned and later we were gonna check in our other rooms. we got back to the hotel around 6 pm and to find out that one of our rooms was not clean and ready and the front desk clerk said all the maids had already left but she was nice and found us a room that was clean so that we can check in. As we all got settled we decided to go and enjoy the indoor pool and hot tub, as well as the lounge which was really nice... After are night was done and we were getting ready for bed my husband pulled back the sheets and found a huge black stain so we then called the front desk to let them know they said they would send us new sheets, as they did but the new sheet they had sent us were so tattered and worn. The beds were not comfortable what so ever they were old and out dated the lighting in the room was dark we also noticed on one of the walls there was splatters of something sticky on it, and the lamp shade on our dresser by the t.v were full of cobwebs. In the morning I was the first to get up in shower as I opened the shower I notice in the corners of the bathtub there was hair and dirt which was not pleasant. To find out as we were getting ready to leave my sister-in-law's room was also not very clean... Over all loby, court yard, breakfast, and bar are nice but as for the rooms they are in a in a major need of some TLC. And another thing I might add the concrete stairs up to the rooms were not safe what so ever were cracking and you could see the rebar on some.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Zia D
Dear Zia D,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of your recent visit to the Hotel Don Fernando de Taos.

Needless to say, we were dismayed to learn of the problems you encountered in your room during your stay. There is no excuse for anyone to have the conditions you explained in our guest rooms.

Zia D, we appreciate your brining these issues to our attention, as it is the only way that we can correct and improve. We highly value your trust and patronage, and would like an opportunity to regain both. If you travel to Taos occasionally, I would appreciate your calling me directly and allowing me to reserve a suite for you on a complimentary basis for one night.

Ed Shelton

Travelers are raving about these Taos hotels

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We got a good price by booking on Bring Fido but I would hesitate to pay full price for the hotel. The rooms are old and need some good basic updating and DEEP CLEANING. The bed had a mattress from the 1960's and the linens were of the base quality. The plus is that this is a great place to bring your dog. There is plenty of walking areas surrounding the hotel and they provide poop bags and a trash can.
There were two TV's in the room (one in the main area and one in the bedroom) but both remotes needed new batteries (which we left a note about). The room was generally clean but there was a sticky residue on the lamp table and a good general dusting is needed.
I think the place has possibilites for being a solid GOOD rating but the owners are going to have to invest in some serious updating and deep cleaning.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Dear slpretire ,

slpretire, we appreciate your brining these issues to our attention, as it is the only way that we can correct and improve. We highly value your trust and patronage, and would like an opportunity to regain both. If you travel to Taos occasionally, I would appreciate your calling me directly and allowing me to reserve a suite for you on a complimentary basis for one night.

Katy, Texas
Reviewed September 29, 2011

Had booked a room in July 2011 here for my family of 5 and our small dog. Arrived late and kids were asleep in the car while I waited to check in. It seemed to take the clerk forever to attend to the person before me. The computer was down or the register would not work, but all the while remained very chatty with the guest. While waiting I looked around the lobby. It looked as though it had not been cleaned or swept, apparent that trash hadn't been been picked up for several hours - the place was a mess....and all the while several employees were standing around. They obviously didn't care.

Finally got to speak with the clerk after about 20 minutes of waiting. Our suite that we had reserved apparently wasn't available, they said the water heater went out for that building and the repairman didn't show up.. Sure would have been nice if they had called or let me know of this ahead of time. A hotel without hot water? I'm sorry, but for a hotel that's an emergency! You get some out there ASAP, not wait around until they show up....or not.

Anyway, the clerk advised that it they could put us in another suite and proceeded to put us in a king suite. I said I have a family of 5 and I didn't think that would work. She said I could go look at the room to see if it would work. I was skeptical, but got checked in and took the keys to go take a look.

It was probably 11pm by this time and we drove around to park by the building that had our room. Noticed people wandering around outside in the dark parking lot. We got out of the car and proceeded up to the room, which was upstairs. There were people sitting on the stairway drinking beer. Wife and kids went back to the car. Found another stairway and went to swipe the key on the door when I heard a voice say "what are you doing going into my room?!". It was one of the guys drinking beer. Sure nuff my key worked on the door to a room that was occupied. He was pissed and headed straight to the office to complain. I went directly to the car to use the phone to call for another place to stay. Wife and kids advised me that there was puke in the parking lot.

Luckily, I found another pet friendly hotel that had a vacancy. I dropped off the key with the clerk and told her that I didn't think the room would work for us. No mention of anything from the clerk - only "okay".

I have to say that I did not actually get into the room to even look around!!! What we say and experienced before that point was too much. The place was very unkept, seemed unsafe, and obviously had maintenance issues. And no one that worked there seemed to care. But, it was the cheapest pet friendly hotel in town. .

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank oktourist
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed September 2, 2011

Arrived Don Fernando late in the day expecting a three star hotel as rated by Hotel.com. the grounds are still impressive, but not a dollar has been invested in updating the rooms in 30 years. even worse, our room had not been cleaned in days.
the bathroom counter was actually dirty and the carpets had not been vacuumed in awhile.
we checked out first thing the next morning and forfeited our prepayment for the second night. avoid this place regardless of price. it is a 1-2 star, unkept and not clean. staff are edgy and not very accommodating under the circumstances.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family