“Great Service in an Average Hotel”
Review of Hampton Inn Taos

Hampton Inn Taos
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Williamsburg, VA
“Great Service in an Average Hotel”
Reviewed October 18, 2008

The only thing that moves this hotel from average to above average is the staff service and attitude, which were outstanding. Otherwise, most other aspects of the hotel are pretty average. Location is good, on the edge of town. The room and bathroom were moderately clean. The lighting in the bathroom was dim, but the mirror was a nice full-wall thing. The commons area was small and cramped, and the complimentary breakfast was only Fair, which seems to be par for Hampton's breakfasts. As I said, however, the staff was very helpful and pleasant, and that goes a long way in affecting our ratings.

• Liked — Staff Service and Friendliness
  • Disliked — Poor lighting in bathroom
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
MA
Reviewed September 21, 2008

Excellent location - a short drive from downtown Taos. We stayed for 3 nights. Room was clean. The beds were extremely comfortable. The front desk staff was friendly and knowledgeable about the area. Breakfast was available in the morning - Chips/Salsa and cookies served in the afternoon. I would recommend this location and would definitely stay there again. They had a nice workout room, but we didn't get the chance to use it.

• Liked — Convenient location, friendly staff,
  • Disliked — Its on a busy road.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
DC
Reviewed September 2, 2008

As my wife and I were driving towards Taos we decided to call ahead and ask for the going rates at several hotels. The staff member on the phone was incredibly rude and abrupt and actually hang up on me part way through me asking a question. Apparently the "yes we have a vacancy" and "its $130 a night" was all the information I was allowed. We showed up anyway once we got into Taos as usually my AAA membership and having a decent chat with the late night hotel front desk manager gets you a better rate as its unlikely anyone else will be showing up at midnight.....

However, once I walked in and enquired about the rate, the lady behind the desk went from curt to just plain rude. I was quoted the same rate again (no issue there as I was just checking the options) however as I enquired if they had anything cheaper I was informed that "WE DON'T DO CHEAP" and was laughed at!

I decided that keeping my cool was better than anything else and left after informing the woman that as a Hilton Honours Platinum member I was well aware of the rates having stayed at dozens of different properties and for a vacant friday night with to parking lot empty I was surprised that she didn't have the sense to lower off the top rack rate.

Anyway - we booked into the confort suites just opposite for nearly half the price, got a full suite and had a great stay thanks to the front desk manager there.

Can't comment on the accomodation, but as always - don't expect it to be any better than the staff!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AussieinDC

Travelers are raving about these Taos hotels

tucson az
Reviewed July 31, 2008

This hotel needs serious cleaning up, starting with the filthy carpets throughout the hallways and a bit less dirty in our room.

The towels were thin and required at least 2 towels to dry ones-self after showering, with the thin half bar of soap. The soap was of the thin type offered in low end or economy motels, and half the width of a normal bar of soap.

We would suggest staying away from this Hampton Inn at any price and note their rates are not inexpensive.

• Liked — Breakfast was fine
  • Disliked — room lighting poor, old bathroom
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Fort Collins
Reviewed June 8, 2008

After reading some of the horror stories of B&Bs and historical district hotels, my wife and I decided to make reservations at the Hampton Inn and stay there during our trip to Taos. Well, we got there just before 3pm and were told that our room was not ready yet but were assured that they were working on it and it would be done soon. Over the next hour my wife and I got to watch guest after guest (who did not have reservations) check in and go directly to their rooms while we were told repeatedly that our rooms were almost ready.

Finally, after waiting for over an hour the lady working the front desk told us our room was ready. When we told her this was not room we were promised she replied that "Well, you wanted a room that was ready". She then had the balls to explain the 100% satisfaction guarantee. How can anyone be 100% satisfied if they had to wait an hour for their room?

Also while waiting we got to hear the lady working the front desk bad mouth us to other guest who were checking in.

Instead of getting our quiet room we got the one next to the stairs and overlooking the parking lot. Also, while we had reserved a non-smoking room, the room next to us was not non-smoking and we got to breathe their smoke all night long.

My suggestion, don't stay here. Take a chance at another hotel rather than become a victim of this one.

• Liked — Coffee was good
  • Disliked — Staff was rude, hotel was smoky, and too far downtown
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 30, 2008

This was the second hotel we stayed at during our long weekend in New Mexico. The hotel is south of the main strip but very convenient for the highway back out toward Santa Fe. The rooms were clean and comfortable and a decent price considering the other properties we looked at in the area. Very dependable for a Hampton. The workout facility was decent as well. The breakfast buffet was the same Hampton fare as everywhere else - ok but nothing special.

• Liked — convenience with car
  • Disliked — not within walking distance to anything
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed March 16, 2008

In terms of affordable hotels in the area (around $115 per night), this is probably the best bet for Taos. I've stayed at several, and for the price, this hotel offers the cleanest, best rooms for the money.

Check in took a bit longer than at most Hampton Inns. Only one staff member was working the front desk. When I arrived, one other guest was checking in. I waited at least 10 minutes for that transaction to take place. My check in took less than 5 minutes.

The room was fine. It was the most dated Hampton Inn I've stayed at in the past five years, but it was fine. The bed was new--and very nice--but the room furniture and bathroom decor were in need of the update that most Hamptons have undergone in recent years.

Walls are very thin at this property. I was concerned after unpacking--I could hear every word spewing from my neighbor's tv. Within 30 minutes, however, the neighbor turned the tv off. At that point, it was relatively quiet.

The lobby offers free computer/internet service. Breakfast was typical of most Hamptons--satisfying and above standard.

The Hampton Inn is located on the western/southern outskirts of Taos. If you want to be near the plaza and walking distance to the small shops around the plaza, this isn't the location for you. But, if like most people, you have a car, this will do just fine. The plaza and local restaurants are only a short drive away.

If you don't want to spend the money to stay at La Fonda or El Monte Sagrado, the Hampton Inn is a good bet.

Stayed March 2008