“Was the be lining clean?”
Review of Hampton Inn Taos

Hampton Inn Taos
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Taos
London, United Kingdom
“Was the be lining clean?”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I have stayed at this Hampton Inn several times and this was my second stay this year. Frankly, there is not too much to choose from in Taos and one reason I have been staying here is because I’m a Hilton Hhonors member.

There are many good Hampton Inn’s, but this one is very ordinary and frankly it is overpriced. The night before I stayed at the Hilton Buffalo Thunder resort outside Santa Fe and wished I driven back there. A well furnished room, with a great bed and a balcony at less than then $109.00 dollars I paid at this Hampton Inn. This Hampton Inn has basic furniture, the windows haven’t been cleaned (for what appears to be years) there was a street lamp right outside my window (my room looked out onto a side lane), so even with the curtain closed it was still like it was daylight outside. However, the most disturbing thing was the laminated sign on the bed, saying that the Duvet and bed lining were CLEAN!!! There was also a hand written post-it note stuck to the headboard of the bed. (Photo attached) saying a similar thing. WHAT on earth that was all about or what prompted it, goodness only knows, in the 40 years that I have been staying in hotels/motels I have never seen anything like it. I take it for granted that when I check-in into a hotel/motel room that the lining is clean for my arrival. So, I have to ask the question WHY.

I also have to agree with previous reviewer about the comfort of the bed, I didn’t feel the bed was comfortable. As I live just above sea level, the altitude can make sleeping a little difficult in the first place, with a less than comfortable bed, I slept badly; it was a good job I slept well the night before.

If I stay there again, maybe I should take my own bed lining and know for sure it is clean. There has to be a better option in Taos, although I think the hour and a quarter drive back to Santa Fe may be the best option.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank NewxGate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Benson
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is a good place to stay if you're looking for a good value. It's not fancy, but it was clean and the beds were comfortable. Cereal, toast, waffles, etc for breakfast--again, nothing spectacular but it'll get you going and save you spending money at a restaurant. Chips, salsa and cookies are available late afternoon. Staff was nice and helpful.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 29, 2012

For a mid-priced hotel in Taos, you can't beat this. We've stayed at some other hotels (more expensive) in Taos, but none can compare to this one. The room was clean, comfortable, and the breakfast just can't be beat. Our stay was over the Thanksgiving holiday, but you would never know it. Breakfast was fully stocked and staff was very attentive. This is one of the first hotels you encounter if you drive in from the South (Santa Fe, etc...). The main reason we chose this was the access it gave us to Sipapu Ski Resort. The hotel has a great indoor hot tub, which was needed after a long day on the slopes. Great stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tijeras, New Mexico
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Hampton Inn Taos Nm is over-priced for the area and the bed was extremely uncomfortable. We were shocked as the beds are usually excellent and consistent. This hotel needs to bring themselves up to the normal Hampton standards and adjust their price to match the location.

Room Tip: Stay at one of the local charming B&B's instead!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
JuanIsidro C, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Taos, responded to this review, November 25, 2012
Hello tripAdvisor users. I would like to take the time to address this persons personal opinion of our hotel. First of all, our beds are the brand standard "cloud nine" beds a person will find in any Hampton Inn. I have never, in my tenure, once heard anyone complain about our beds being uncomfortable. I invite you all, to come on down to the front desk and let us know your concerns and ask your questions. I've always said I treat this place like its my mom's house and my mom would never let a house guests go uncomfortable all night and I train my staff to ahere to that as well. I am so very sorry to hear that this person had a less than fabulous stay with us. I invite you to come and judge for yourself and come see why Hampton Inn - Taos has been placed in the best of Taos!

Travelers are raving about these Taos hotels

Laurium, Michigan
Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is our second time in Taos. The first time we stayed at the #1 ranked hotel on Tripadvisor and I personally thought this one blew the first one away. This is an average hotel, but clean enough for a picky traveler! We arrived later in the day and left very early. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Although this hotel is more on the outskirts of town, the staff and cleanliness are worth it for me!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
JuanIsidro C, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn Taos, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
I would like to thank you so very much for your high remarks of our property and its staff. On behalf of all of us here at Hampton Inn - Taos... THANK YOU!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Stayed at the Hampton Inn for 2 nights. This is your average road-side inn. The rooms were spacy and clean. However, it was the service that impressed us: staff go out of their way to please the clientele. There are nice, little service touches, such as a free breakfast, free newspapers, and a free picnic bag with food essentials for on the way.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
From all of here at Hampton Inn - Taos; we would like to thank you for your positive remarks about our hotel. We truly believe that what we lack in amenities, we make up for in service! I've always said that this place is like my mama's house and we insist on treating our guests just the same way. Thanks again!
Santiago de Puriscal, Costa Rica
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed at the Hampton Inn for two nights. Check-in was easy and fast. The King room (228) was comfortable and roomy, with a good size bath. Mattress was firm, but very comfortable. When we got in, we found on the bed a padded lap-board with a note signed by our housekeeper, welcoming us and inviting us to let her know if we needed anything. Nice touch and the first time I've seen a lap board in any hotel. Also on the headboard was a sticky noting the sheets and duvet were washed prior to our arrival. Now granted, I assume the sheets are clean, but it's nice to know the duvet is also freshly laundered.
The included breakfast buffet was extensive and tasty, with fruits, baked goods, yogurt, cereals, oatmeal, an egg dish, sausage, a waffle machine, juices, coffee, etc. Trays were available to take to your room.
The only issue we had with our room was the bathroom door was hanging slightly crooked and scraped the floor when about 2/3 open. The first morning, on our way out, I mentioned this to the front desk clerk. He asked if I wanted maintenance to look at it while we were out, and I told him to go ahead if they wanted, but that it was no big deal. When we returned to the room late that afternoon, we found a note from the maintenance supervisor apologizing that they would not be able to fix the door without removing it from our room for the rest of our stay. Along with the note was a gift basket with bottled water and snacks. Totally unnecessary, but a really nice surprise.
Also, the first night, I didn't sleep too well, despite the very comfortable mattress. I'm not a duvet guy, as I find them too bulky and hot. In the closet was a regular blanket in a zippered plastic case. Our first morning, I left the case on the bed with a note to the housekeeper to please put the blanket on the bed under the duvet, and when we returned it was made up just as I requested. Seems like a small thing, but I have often found other hotels somehow unable to comply with equally simple requests.
If you are looking to stay in Taos, and want a hotel that provides all the basics, and top-notch service to boot, you should give the Hampton Inn a try. I wouldn't hesitate to re-book.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I am very pleased to hear that you were so well cared for. We feel like, in order for a guest to truly have that Taos expericance, every effort must be made to make you feel right at home. Your requests, no matter how small, are the challeges we seek out everyday and we thank you for giving us a way to wow you!