“Won't stay here again”
Review of Hampton Inn Taos

Hampton Inn Taos
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed August 27, 2011

I’ve been in Hilton’s HHonors program since its inception back in the late 70’s. As a former heavy business traveler, I’ve stayed in Hilton properties all over the country and overseas. There have been a few that left me less than thrilled but this place is the first one in a while. Even though we checked in at four in the afternoon on a Friday, we were given a small room right across from the laundry, a very small room. This is an older Hampton which might explain the small room but the problem is that it’s a small room filled with too much large, heavy furniture jammed into it. The television’s a small, old CRT with a poor picture. The fridge rattled on and off all night.

But what really ticked me off was no internet connection. The front desk gave me an 800 number for tech support which was answered by some woman’s personal answering machine. After repeated trips to the front desk, (I had business to conduct) another clerk finally admitted they’d had complaints all day. After more failed attempts by me, he finally agreed to reset the server modem which immediately solved the problem. That I had spent more than 90 minutes of frustration trying to connect when he could have reset the server at the outset did not make me happy.

This morning, after shaving with lukewarm water from an ancient faucet and taking a shower in a stall with small spots of black mold, (any spots of black mold are unacceptable to me) I discovered the computer would again not connect. I didn’t even bother with it-we just got out of there as fast as we could, weaving our way through all the maids’ carts in the hallway outside our room. No mas!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Taos

Reviewed August 7, 2011

I had read the mixed reviews for this hotel on TripAdvisor, but since we've generally been happy with Hampton Inns, we gave it a shot. And contrary to some of the previous negative reviews, we found the hotel perfectly fine -- and pretty much what we'd expect from a Hampton Inn.

The two front desk clerks I dealt with were both very friendly and helpful. The breakfast area was standard Hampton fare. (As a minor plus, they did have blueberry, strawberry and whipped cream toppings for the waffles, which I haven't yet seen in other Hamptons). One review below said the public areas were dark, but that wasn't our experience; the lobby and breakfast areas were nicely lit, as were the ice machine rooms and guest laundry. (Never made it to the pool, so I can't comment on that area.) The room showed a little wear-and-tear, but was clean, comfortable and functional. (It seems a little funny to see an older picture-tube TV in the room now that so many hotels have updated to flat panels -- but I didn't care, as we never flipped the TV on during our one-night stay.)

The hotel was convenient -- only a few miles south of the center of Taos. We'd be happy to stay here again on a return visit to the area.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Eric J
Reviewed July 11, 2011

At about 11:30 pm, my room was opened by an older woman who did not work for the hotel. She came into my room. I woke up and startled her and she walked out with no explanation. One of my coworkers was also visited by this strange woman. She attempted to open his door, but he had it locked by the bolt. He opened the door and inquired about her attempt to get in. She did not answer him and ran away. When we asked the front desk, no one had an explanation as to who this woman was. I have never been so creeped out in my life.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank aduus1
Reviewed June 7, 2011

We stayed 3 nights at the Hampton Inn and were very pleased with our stay. The hotel was very clean, quiet, and the staff was outstanding. The front desk was helpful in providing information on the recent wildfires in the area. The breakfast area was always stocked and the tables were kept clean. We found the location convenient and there was a great New Mexican restaurant close by, La Cocina.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank TylerRose_11
Reviewed February 27, 2011

on 2-22 and 2-23 we was awoken to loud cussing in hallway by construction workers two young workers where smoking in building .spoke to lady at desk and was told a new crew just took over!!!! its a shame we was here one week before and the workers where respectful and nice .......we wont be back and none of our family will either!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank bugged55711
Reviewed December 20, 2010

I stayed here for 3 nights while at a conference. As a business traveler I look for accomadations that are not only comfortable but help me be productive. Here is a run down of my experience:
~Staff: very nice
~Room: small and dated but the bed was comfortable.
~Overall hotel looks: somewhat dated but okay
~Breakfast: okay
~Business "center": TERRIBLE!!! I needed to do some printing from a presentation (PowerPoint). Their computer was a "home computer" running Windows Vista and crashed on me 3 times. It took over 60 minutes to FINALLY print. This happened to me twice and there was VERY little the front desk help could do but say sorry. I would expect from a Hampton hotel a higher quality of business services. I realize Taos is off the beaten path but this put me behind in my work two nights in a row. If you will have printing or work to do.....think some where else to save you the MASSIVE amout of frustration you will experience.
~Location: just fine, easy to get around on the main road.
Would I stay there again? Probably not.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Wedn5
Reviewed December 11, 2010

We stay at Hampton Inns several times a year, and this was our worst experience ever. The check-in service was perfunctory at best, the common areas dark and dingy. Our room door lock wasn't working right, one of us had to throw our entire weight against the door to get into the room. The breakfast options were more limited than the usual Hampton (including no non-sugary cereals, etc.). We had just come from several days at the Santa Fe Hampton, which was fabulous. The Taos Inn certainly suffered by comparison, but would have been disappointing no matter what.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple