“Nice place!”
Review of El Camino Lodge

El Camino Lodge
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We had been camping in the Carson National Forest and were ready for a nice comfy bed and a hot shower. Remembered this passing by this hotel....the sign stood out, it has a cat sleeping! Anyway, called to see if there was a vacancy...the clerk, Angel, was very nice and helpful. Once we got in the room it was clean, nice, quiet and just what we needed. Great night sleep and a nice continental breakfast in the morning. Would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: King size beds were super comfy. Our room also had a microwave and refrigerator which was very nice.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Management response:Responded February 6, 2017

Thank you for your review. I'm so glad we could accommodate you. I realize you were here some time ago, however, we have just recently purchased the hotel and wanted reply to your review, to let you know what we are doing. We are in the process of remodeling and updating, this is an ongoing process in the hotel business, as you may know. We've been in the hotel business for some time and have a good idea of what needs to be done. Perhaps, if you are ever in the area again, you will stay with us and let us know how we're doing. Again, thank you for your review, it is very important to us. We are also making a name change to, The Taos Valley Lodge.

There are newer reviews for El Camino Lodge

Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel was a nice place to stay. The front desk was kind and courteous. The room was clean and well set up. This hotel claims to be be kid and pet friendly, so we expected there to be a lot of kids and animals. This was the case the first night. The walls are thin so we were able to hear activity around and over us during the evenings. There was a family a couple doors down from us who allowed their kids to run around being loud until late into the evening. To myself, the bed felt almost too firm, but my wife liked it just fine. The second night was better than the first for us. Their complimentary breakfast was good. It included cereal, pastries, fruit, and even waffles. They have the breakfast available until 9:30am, which we were late for our last morning there. It is ok because McD is just down the road. With the location being right on the main road, it was easy to get to Taos Plaza and the shopping. Overall, a pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Reserve early, they fill up on the weekends.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded February 6, 2017

Thank you so much for your nice review. We have just purchased the hotel and are in the process of updating and remodeling. You were here some time ago, but as part of the transition, we are replying to all the reviews so you are aware of what is happening at the hotel. We are replacing all the carpet and furniture, along with painting and deep cleaning. The lobby has already been updated, both in looks and technology. We've been in the hotel business for some time, so we have a good idea what we have ahead of us. Hopefully, if you're ever in the area again, you will come and stay with us. We are also changing the name to The Taos Valley Lodge. Again, thank you for your review, it is very important to us.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Whiten Inn is a dated motel on the main drag of Taos. Reception nice and helpful. Parking lot views. But, comfortable rooms with quiet air conditioning. Microwave and refrigerator, plus coffee maker with no coffee. Close to Taos Plaza, but not really walking distance except for hikers! The price is the highlight at $72 for a two queen room. Labor Day is a very busy day in Taos and rooms are hard to come by. Staying one night and then moving on.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cronkhilton
Management response:Responded February 6, 2017

Thank you for your review. I realize it's been some time since you stayed with us, but we have just purchased the hotel and wanted to let you know of all the changes we are making. We are in the process of updating and remodeling, painting and deep cleaning. The lobby has already been updated both in appearance and technically. We are very excited about the outcome. We are also changing the name to The Taos Valley Lodge, in case you are ever in the area. Again, thank you for your review, it is very important to us.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

I arrived in Taos late with no room reservations and I thought the Whitten Inn looked decent from the exterior. It was also reasonably priced. I was planning on staying two nights in Taos so I booked for two nights. That was a big mistake. The hotel is run down and needs a lot of work. There was a shopping cart on the 2nd floor for some reason by the maintenance area. When we got up to our room, we went straight to bed. The room looked ok to my travel weary eyes. I was disgusted however when I awoke in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. There was dirt and hair all over the bathroom floor. I went back to bed since it was so late. In the morning I went to check out early and was told that they have a no refunds policy. This is not posted anywhere in the lobby. I explained that my room was dirty and although I would gladly pay for the night I stayed, I wanted my money back so I could find a room somewhere else for the next night. I was then told the manager would not be in until 3 and I would have to wait. At this point, I told the girl at the front desk that she needed to call her manager. She was then somehow able to get a hold of her manager and also I was told there was an on site manager and he would be down in 20 minutes. So I waited about 25 minutes. The on site manager arrived and told us he would have to look at the room. He returned about another 5 minutes later with a large clump of hair and then proceeded to accuse us of leaving it there! I have never been treated this way by people at any establishment before. I am simply stunned. I do not recommend staying here at all. All in all, it took an hour to get our money back for the night we didn't even stay. As I was waiting, I began to look around the lobby. There was trash on the floor, there is a drinking fountain that has a scummy dust type stuff all over it, the floors were dirty, the furniture was stained. Yuck. I also called the 800 number for the chain and although the woman who called me was very friendly, they really didn't offer to do anything to remedy the situation besides tell me they would talk to the manager.

Room Tip: If you are going to take a chance and try it, pay for one night at a time!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded February 6, 2017

I have just read your review and wanted to apologize for your dreadful stay at the hotel. We have just recently purchased the hotel and as part of the transition, I am replying to all the reviews, both past and present. We've been in the hotel business for some time now and are well aware of how much work we have ahead of us. We are retraining and rebuilding the entire staff. It is my opinion, they haven't been trained very well, if at all. As far as the shopping carts, this was a surprise to us too. They've all been replaced with regular housekeeping carts. We are a work in progress, as you might guess, but the lobby issue has already been addressed, both in appearance and technically. All the carpet and furniture is being replaced along with a deep cleaning and fresh paint. We are also remodeling the whole building, inside and out. We have a big challenge and are very excited about the outcome. It is my hope that if you are ever in the area again, you will give us a second chance. Again, thank you for your review, it has been very helpful.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Upon arrival the desk clerk informed my wife that no reservation was on file. My wife told her that she had made a reservation several weeks prior and at that time was upset that they offered no confirmation number or other proof. The clerk said the people involved were no longer employees so maybe that was the problem. She had rooms available so we were okay but she added that if we had arrived the previous weekend we would've been out of luck. That's discomfiting.

Having stayed at the Whitten Inn in Abilene, TX, we didn't expect much in the way of room quality and probably would've booked elsewhere but we had our dog and Whitten was at least "reasonable" about their pet up-charge. Too bad there's not a La Quinta in Taos. As it is, the rooms were clean, beds decent, noise minimal, plenty of parking, so except for the absence of a reliable reservation system I would recommend the place.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Management response:Responded February 6, 2017

I have just read your review and I would like to apologize for your experience at the hotel. We have just recently purchased the hotel and realize we have a long way to go. The lobby issues have been addressed. A new check-in program has been installed along with new computers. The lobby staff has been thoroughly trained and all is working smoothly now. Also, the we are retraining and rebuilding the entire staff as we feel they haven't been trained properly. All the carpet and furniture is being replaced along with a deep cleaning and fresh paint. We are remodeling and updating everything. The name is also being changed to The Taos Valley Lodge. I hope that if you are ever in the area again, you will give us a second chance. Again, thank you for your review, it is very important to us.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for two nights on our week long journey through New Mexico. The front desk clerks were so sweet and helpful. They accomodated our request for a room on the top floor. The room had two queen size super comfy beds and was very clean. The complimentary breakfast was good and fresh. Our stay was lovely!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded February 6, 2017

Thank you so much for your review. I know you were here some ago, but we have just recently purchased the hotel and as part of the transition, we are replying to the all the reviews, both past and present, to let you know what is going on here. We are in the process of remodeling and updating, both inside and out. Our lobby has already been completed and looks so nice, a long with a number of rooms. I hope that if you are ever in the area again, you will stay with us. I can assure you that you won't be disappointed. Again, thank you for your review, it is very important to us. We are also changing the name to The Taos Valley Lodge.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

We were going to camp but the weather was horrible. We needed a cheap place to stay at the last minute. We found this hotel through web search and called them up. The staff was all very friendly. My kids sang them a song and we got half off our room, no joke! We got a late checkout since we checked in late, free breakfast, and they let my kids swim in the pool after checkout.

It's not the Ritz but for the price one of the best places I have stayed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Coderjun
Management response:Responded February 6, 2017

I have just read your review and am so happy you enjoyed your stay at the hotel. We have just recently purchased the hotel and are in the process of remodeling and updating both inside and out. We are also changing the name to the Taos Valley Lodge. We have a lot to do and are very excited about the outcome. Hopefully, if you are ever in the area again you will come and stay with us. Thank you again for your review, it is very important to us.