“Skip the Free Breakfast, Seriously!”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed May 27, 2013

The hotel room was nice, good mattresses, plenty of amenities, affordable price, BUT, the free breakfast, well, there is a reason, or two, why it is free.
First, we had to wait 20-minutes to be seated watching the wait line grow ever longer. By then, we were already time committed.
When we got seated, the too few staff members working the floor (about 3), were too busy to take our order. When I order was finally taken, we didn't hear from a single staff member for about a half an hour.
We reminded her for coffee several times before one cup, not two actually came. It continued like this for some time.
Was the food worth the wait? NO
P.S. Make sure your air conditioner works before it's already late at night.

Room Tip: Skip the free breakfast and make sure the air conditioner works
Thank Ouraymainstreet... O

Reviewed May 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed here 2 nights on our sightseeing trip to New Mexico. After looking at reviews in Trip Advisor probably would have skipped this place, but we were on a mission, staying only at Choice Hotel properties so we could use our points for free nights. This place was a little different having a restaurant and lounge on the property, and a unique and colorful lobby area done up in a Southwest motif. I was encouraged, but once we got in our room, I was disappointed but not surprised to find a typical budget room that is really in need of a makeover. Smallest bath vanity that I ever saw, and I was quite hesitant about walking on the carpet without putting my shoes on. In the evening I could hear the TV nextdoor quite plainly and readied myself for a noisy night, but miraculously both nights we stayed were blissfully quiet and we slept really well. On the plus side, the free breakfast was quite good, being served by a waitperson in the restaurant. 4 choices were available. Overall, average at best. You get what you pay for applies here.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

So the hotel is nice for the amount we paid (about $65 per night plus $7 per night pet fee). We enjoyed the daily manager reception from 5 - 7pm in the bar where they had free chips/salsa, popcorn, veggie tray, and cheese & crackers. When we checked in we were given $1 off coupons for drinks in the bar which was nice as well. Every day there is also unlimited soup (was a vegetable soup with ham in a cream base although more brothy than creamy) from 4 - 6pm in the bar area as well. We really enjoyed the breakfast in the morning which you have an option of four cooked to order breakfasts to choose from. Especially enjoyed the eggs, toast, hashbrowns breakfast option. Pancake option was good too.

The drawbacks are that it feels a little scuzzy and is very outdated. I'm pretty sure there was mold growing in the bathroom ceiling. The carpet felt old, worn out and I wouldn't walk on it with my bare feet. One of my towels had a black stain on it.

The pool wasn't filled and therefore was closed while we were there the first weekend in May. The weather was gorgeous so we were a bit disappointed with that and not knowing ahead of time that it wouldn't be opened yet.

Pet fee of only $7 is great but it was a bit frustrating to find out upon arrival that you are not allowed to leave your pet in your room while you are away from the hotel. This presents a problem because we wanted to go spend the day exploring the Taos pueblo, seeing the Rio Grande bridge and hiking along the river. It was too hot to bring the dog and leave him in the car and he is too old (13 yrs) to go hiking with us. He's old and sleeps all day. So to be honest we did leave him in the room and it wasn't a problem b/c he's half deaf and sleeps so he certainly wasn't barking. Their reasoning is that if he barks and disturbs guests and we're not there to stop him it can be a problem which I can kind of understand but it's the middle of the day and the liklihood of people being disturbed is so slim. I've never been to a hotel that accepts pets that doesn't allow them to stay in the room while owners are away for the day. People who book a hotel that allows pets should know that's a slight risk that they might be disturbed. If it's late at night or early in the morning and your dog is barking then I can see the issue. Anyway that's my two cents. I wish we would have know about the policy b/c we may have not reserved a room there as we were somewhat stressed out the entire time worrying about if he was disturbing people although we were pretty sure he wasn't.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Yes, it is a bit old. Yes, it is a bit dirty. Yes, it has seen it's better days. But, do you come to Taos to spend all your time in your room? Now for the positives: affordable, good location, pet-friendly (nice grass areas), great made to order breakfast with 4 options, free- wifi (works ok), free evening snacks in the bar (home-made soup, cheese and veggie tray). We actually had one of our dinners in the bar snacking on the food and drinking the cheap beers after a long day in the Rio Grande Gorge.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Initial appearances suggest you should stay elsewhere, as the property looks like an over-the-hill mediocre-at-best Quality Inn. But the owners are trying and, as noted in previous reviews, you get some extras that make this a very good value motel. The free evening bar snacks are appreciated, and the sit-down menu breakfast (described below) is a vast improvement over a typical Choice hotel breakfast bar.

The only downside is that, at the end of the day, the motel is old and shows some of its age. But the rooms are comfortable, albeit not deluxe. Our bathroom was also notably small in 1970s fashion. But, at the right price, I'd happily stay here over a snazzier motel that provided less value.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We picked the Quality In Taos for the price and because they are pet-friendly. As other reviewers have noted, the rooms are dated and the showerhead is about neck-high. But the beds were comfortable and the hotel was reasonably quiet.
They offer a complimentary breakfast every morning, and the options were eggs with hashbrowns and bacon, pancakes with bacon, french toast with bacon or cereal with toast and half a grapefruit. Breakfast includes coffee and juice.
They charge an additional $7 per night per pet, which seemed like a good price. There is a grassy area around the pool where you can take your dog out. The pool was closed when we were there, but the hot tub was open. We did not use it, but it was pretty large.
I paid $69 per night, and it was worth the money.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank nobadkarma
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I chose this hotel because the price was very good for Taos. The hotel itself is a little dated but well maintained. The room was quiet, clean & the bed was comfortable. The early evening complimentary soup bar was a plus, better yet, the hot breakfast was an added bonus! We didn't have to spend extra on eating out. The hotel is centrally located and close to everything. I'll definitely keep this on my list the next time I vist.

• Stayed: March 2013