“Convenient location, recently updated.”
Review of Indian Hills Inn

Indian Hills Inn
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Arizona
“Convenient location, recently updated.”
Reviewed July 22, 2010

Room we had was recently updated - newer mattress/linens, bath fixtures/tile, very comfortable. Location is great, close to downtown area. Breakfast is minimal, but better than nothing. We would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
jfslenes, Owner at Indian Hills Inn, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Thanks for your positive review. We don't always get it right but doing so is our objective! Thanks for the referrals and repeat business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed May 11, 2010

I was charged a $75 smoking fee even though we did not smoke in the room. It's just my word against the management of this inn but we definitely did not smoke in the room . I disputed the charge on my credit card account but it was not taken off. This is not the end of my dispute. I will challenge it again with my credit card company. As you can tell by the other reviews this place is probably not getting very many bookings so they have to make their money any way they can. And as a footnote this was my last resort during Spring Break because we decided to go at the last minute and this was the only place that had openings. Now I know why.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tim96
jfslenes, Owner at Indian Hills Inn, responded to this review, December 13, 2010
As an independent, we are often one of the last to fill even during busy periods. Sorry you were dis-satisfied. Our policy is to charge for Guests who smoke in the room. We even go to the trouble of retaining any evidence such as butts, ashes. Amazing that some Guests will stand in an open doorway, hold the cigaret outside the door, and claim they didn't smoke in the room. Others will do the same with an open window. We are quite hesitant to charge a cleaning fee for smoking in the room since it does stimulate credit card disputes. We also charge a far lower fee than many properties. About 90% of our visitors grade us overall as an A or B. Again, we're sorry we didn't meet your needs and expectations.

Travelers are raving about these Taos hotels

Austin
Reviewed March 22, 2010

I booked a room at the last minute at the Indian Hills Inn Taos Plaza because our timeshare rental started the day after we arrived in Taos. Boy - what a shocker! The first room we were given had dirty linens and had not been cleaned. We were promptly given a second room which had been made up. The carpet was nasty, there was a squashed cricket on the bathroom floor and the room was very dingy. I booked this room through Hotwire and my impression is that the rooms in the other wing were nicer and renovated. Ask if your room has been renovated before staying here. My room was disgusting.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Carolyn T
jfslenes, Owner at Indian Hills Inn, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Sorry you were unhappy with your stay. Even our HK team make mistakes and leave an occaisional room uncleaned and the dead bug. Our fault for letting you find it rather than us! Our standards need to be where you expect them to be! Carpet was old when you visited and has been 100% replaced as of 12/2010. Most folks appreciate the exceptional quality of the room furnishings and beds (slightly used from a 5 Star Las Vegas property). You were in the family rooms with 2 queen beds. The tub surround was new as of 2008 along with bath floor tile, comfortors, and paint. If you're returning to Taos and your timeshare isn't available, email the hotel and remind us of your Trip ADvisor review and we'll try to accommodate you far better next time!
Colorado
Reviewed March 20, 2010

Like others, we were a little hesitant do to some of the reviews of the IHI, but had a very pleasant stay. The entire staff was great, and one man even chopped wood for the outdoor fireplace so my partner could enjoy a "campfire" on his birthday! Yes, the rooms might have a lingering smell of cigarette smoke, but were clean and comfortable. If you want granite tile and all the foo-foo trappings, go back to Aspen. The IHI has character.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
jfslenes, Owner at Indian Hills Inn, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Muchas gracias for your straight forward review! I do apologize for any "lingering smell of smoke". That's why we do charge people when we do find evidence of smoking in a NON smoking room. Hope we'll ski you soon in Taos!
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Stayed here mainly for its proximity to downtown Taos. The room was large and comfortable. Its an older establishment and shows its age. However for $90. on a Friday night in Taos it was too good to pass up. Great for a budget traveler.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
jfslenes, Owner at Indian Hills Inn, responded to this review, March 9, 2011
Thanks for your comments. The 3 rules of real estate are Location, Location, Location. As you were seeking, we have that one covered. Value wise, we are almost always the best value in downtown Taos! If you return and stay for longer periods, we'll even do weekly and multi night specials! Ski you again. Send your family and friends!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 20, 2009

The carpet and decor were disgusting - I recommend not walking barefoot on the floor. A screen on the window would have been nice. I didn't even bother with the breakfast - it wasn't worth it and they ran out of things very quickly and didn't replenish it. It's also WAY overpriced! The bed was comfortable and the people working there were nice enough and I would not stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank disfree
jfslenes, Owner / manager at Indian Hills Inn, responded to this review, October 8, 2009
I am sorry that your experience is not what we hope to provide Guests. All rooms have been painted during the last year, we use a Rug Doctor carpet shampoer regularly attempting to keep carpets clean. Although continental breakfast is just that, continental, it is more than donuts and coffee. If we were remiss at replentishing, again, I am sorry, I'll cover that with our front desk team. Rates in Taos are very variable. We average about $10 to $20 less on average than the town as a whole. We are usually far less than other downtown properties. The vast majority of our Guests are appreciative of our location, quality, service, and value. Sorry we missed the mark for your needs.
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed September 13, 2009

I was looking for a centrally located hotel and from the website, it all sounded so good. What they don't tell you in that there is no radiio or clock, no iron or ironing board, no blow dryer, no suitcase rack, no internet connection, and the TV reception is not that great. The breakfast really lags-when they run out of something, oh well. Not acceptavle, especially when there is a supermarket across the street.. Not enough chairs to sit and enjoy the outside. I stayed 4 days and the first couple days they didn't even empty my trash. They also charged me for a local call, which is ridiculous. The desk folks were friendly and informative, but for the price, unless they really upgrade, I would not recommend it to anyone, nor would I stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Thanks for your comments. We do have complimentary WIFI but no wired internet. I try to keep the website information accurate. It is our policy to under promise and over deliver although it sounds like you didn't understand our offerings. I apologize for the failure of maintaining the continental breakfast products. We'll work with our front desk team to remedy that question. The most common reason for room service problems is the Guest leaves a "do not disturb" sign up until after the housekeeping team departs for the day. A call to the front desk usually solves those issues. We don't track business source details but close to 25% of our Guests are repeat Guests or referrals. Again, sorry we missed the mark for your needs.