“Staff are very helpful & friendly but motel needs a lot of work”
Review of Indian Hills Inn

Indian Hills Inn
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Kansas City, Kansas
“Staff are very helpful & friendly but motel needs a lot of work”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The location of this motel is good, owners are friendly and helpful. The beds were comfortable but our room was pretty grungy. The bathroom needs some serious cleaning. The AC didn't work, the chair was broken, carpeting was pretty dirty. I'd stay again if the rooms were better maintained and cleaner, otherwise no.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kameronl
jfslenes, Owner at Indian Hills Inn, responded to this review, July 13, 2015
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We are best known for location and value and "tour guide" like Guest service! We've made changes since your visit and hope we better meet your needs. See you next time you're in Taos.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Even when I was young and poor, I never stayed at a hotel in such pitiful shape. The reviews online were mixed, but for $150 per night we expected a clean room in good condition. Instead, we were provided a room with worn/dirty carpeting, holes in the wall, a toilet seat that was worn, chipped and dirty, along with a filthy phone, and a dank smell. We even took photos of these items in case we were denied a refund for unused nights. After speaking with the owner, John, he agreed to show us one of the updated rooms, with only one king bed (we reserved 2 queens). While the bathroom was in better condition than the original room, the carpeting was worn and dirty along with the now familiar dank/damp smell. We agreed to stay one night as it was too late to find other accommodations, and John agreed to cancel our 2nd night which would have been non-refundable. When asked how long he had owned the property, John said "oh I'm a short timer, just 38 years". Sorry, but in 38 years, this hotel could have used a bit of maintenance and upgrading. We did not feel comfortable, nor safe in this hotel. Really a shame for a nice town like Taos and very disappointing. We do appreciate that John worked with us to modify our reservation, but we cut our Taos visit short due to the miserable lodging.

Room Tip: If you must stay at this hotel, specifically request an updated room. It seems only the bathroom fa...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank LAMMER13

Travelers are raving about these Taos hotels

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed July 22, 2013

This is really a 50dollar motel at a cost of three times that much. Musty smelling rooms, dingy sheets, mismatches furniture and peeling walls. We stayed during the Taos Fiesta, so it was close to the plaza, but the cost was outrageous. The sheets smelled like sweat, I don't think they were even washed. Ugh.... Not going back there EVER again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Mia M
San Diego, California
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Front desk staff was very kind and welcoming. Hotel could use a lot of work! Perhaps the owner could buy new bed sheets, maybe paint inside and out. And I've never heard of renting a fridge and microwave! Ridiculous! Hotels rooms have those things standard. Overall not a good room for the price!

Room Tip: Owners should put money into their business.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank travelgrl2013
Wellington, Colorado
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The good thing is this place is close to the Plaza and right next door to the Down Town Bistro. It's just an old, dingy, smelly place that could use a big remodel. We stayed for two nights (Thursday and Friday) and no one cleaned the room while we were out. Had to go to the office to get more coffee for the next morning. We have the handicap accessible room and it has a nice big bathroom. However, the 2 handicap parking spaces are on such a slant that a person in a wheelchair cannot safely get out of the car and into his chair. My husband said it was really noisy in the morning with people talking right outside our room, but I use ear plugs so I wasn't bothered. Today we checked out the La Fonda Hotel on the Plaza. Very nice newly decorated handicap accessible room for just $20 more than the room we have here. Next time we come to Taos, we are staying at the La Fonda Hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SuzEQB
Texas
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I always stay here for weekend trips to ski or bike. It was always an affordable place that was kinda clean and close to the Plaza. You can always count on getting woke up around 2 a.m. when the drunks come back from the bar but last weekend was a total disaster. Here is what happened.....Checked in friday night about 8:30 but my reservation was messed up. After some confusion they gave me my keys. I went to the room and went to sleep. At midnight the front desk calls me and asks me who i am. I was very confused because i was in a dead sleep and i had obviously told them who i was. I had also put it on a credit card and shown my DL. They apologize hang up and i go to sleep. At 2:30 the drunks come back from the bar and throw a party. The walls are thin so you get to hear everything but i know the drill, turn on the heater/ac unit to drown out the noise and go back to sleep. We go skiing the next day and return that evening around 4:30. We are locked out of our room and there is a sign on the door that tells us to come to the front office. I go to the office and he tells me there was much confusion and that he needs my credit card and driver license again. He gives me new keys to my room and then BRINGS OUT OUR LUGGAGE!!!!! They had packed all our stuff into our bags for us, dirty clothes and all. I asked why this had happened and he said there was confusion amongst his staff. We go back to the room with our new keys. When we enter we notice that they hadn't cleaned or made the beds or even brought new towels. I have stayed at this place for the last five years and had tons of grace for most issues but i have reached my limit. They should at the very least comped my room.
DONT STAY HERE! You will regret it!

Room Tip: Dont STAY here
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank TexasStampy
Benbrook
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We were so excited to be in Taos, and we just loved Indian Hills Inn. We came to ski at Sipapu, so the price and experience was just what we were looking for. We've traveled to Europe, and had expensive resorts in Mexico. . .we've had the "best of" before, but we knew Indian Hills wasn't going to be "tops". It never bills itself to be.

Indian Hills Inn is a quaint Inn. It's older and has its own personality. The rooms are spacious. The decorations are right for the genre and the area of town. The beds are comfortable and clean. I loved the electric fireplace. The price was excellent.

We did have problems, but nothing that I can blame the Inn for. . Yes. one night we had a very noisy neighbor. We had skied all day the day before, and slept through most of it. We came back the second day and had to move rooms because a water line had broken and leaked through the ceiling on our bed. Guess what! The temperatures were freezing and that kind of thing happens.

The front desk was as friendly as could be! We asked for a hairdryer and we got it right away. We asked for directions to Sipapu. . .no problem. We asked the best places to eat in town. . .we were told several. We asked the best place to rent skies. . .Simply wonderful.

Breakfast was great. Now the hours are 7-10 AM, not long, but the food was not bad: hard boiled eggs, bagels, oatmeal, waffles, toast, juice and coffee. It's a great start to go skiing. We even met some other nice guests and had a chat our last morning.

Sometimes. . .your experience is what you make of it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple